Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Default Ogre Minis Revision Issue: LADs

The Light Artillery Drone was a new unit added as part of Combine Set 10.

LAD stats: Attack 2, Range 8, Defense 1, Movement 0.

Special rules: Ignore D results. Must be within 5 hexes of a CP, or else Attack Strength is at -1 and Range is halved.

Can be carried on a hovertruck pallet and set up in three turns by a squad of Engineers.

It is stated that a LAD is worth 6 points. I don't believe that, even if it didn't have the very stringent requirement of being close to a CP. And I'm not sure that it is even playable with those stringent requirements.

Neat model, though. Anybody used it? Comments?

Last edited by Steve Jackson; 02-27-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
Dragon505

Default Re: Ogre Minis Revision Issue: LADs

Hello Mr. Jackson,
Thank you for the best, simplest, accurate war game I have ever played. Yes I have used the LAD from time to time. I have used two of them in place of a regular (stationary) howitzer. I deployed them at game start instead of transporting them. About 1/3 of the time they are the thing(s) that save my CP. I think the six point cost is pretty accuarte given the restrictions place on the LADs. I currently have four of the LAD minis (two from set 10 and two from WH 23). I like them very much. Thank you for the recent support for this great series of games.

Respectfully,
Dragon505
Old 02-26-2008, 08:40 PM   #3
piningforthefjords

I thought it was Light Artillery Drone!

I only played a few games using them, and in both cases they were already on the map, deployed. I can't imagine having Engineers set them up, waiting 3 turns in an eternity (remember how people freak when they realize GEV 5.083 means they will lose 2 or 3 hexes of movement during one movement phase?). IMHO the LADs should self-assemble right after they drop off the hovertruck and be ready for action the next turn. More playable, faster, fits in with the Ogreverse better. Gives an undeployed LAD a chance to make a difference in the upcoming battle.

How many revetments would get made if they took 3 turns?

As to the point question, in my limited experience I think they are worth the points. Too bad Henry's calculator is gone, I wonder what the point value is according to da formula. Then you can factor in the oddities (D result and CP proximity).

PS - it is Light Artillery Drone, just checked the website.

Last edited by piningforthefjords; 02-26-2008 at 08:50 PM. Reason: more
piningforthefjords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:17 PM   #4
DSumner

To be honest, I've never used them. But, I'm thinking with the restrictions placed on their use, you may want to look at reducing the cost of each unit to 4 points. That way they're more a "disposable" unit. But, 4 points might be to cheap so more playtesting might be needed to come to a point balance.

One more suggestion. You may want to consider developing a scenario that highlights the LAD. Say something similar to the Operation Newspaper scenario you did up for the LGEV.
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:43 AM   #5
Apache
On Notice

It's designed to be a GEV-killer, and its special rules emphasize that its a dedicated CP defense unit.

I would say that if you buy them pre-assembled (ie, they are all set up already) they should cost 5 VP, or 3 VP if they are bought un-assembled (ie, you have to have some Engineers set them up).

Oh, and no mixing.....either they should all be set up or not.

I heartily endorse the idea that they should be much easier to deploy, as Pining suggested, and if thats the case, cost should be set at 5 VP, period.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:08 AM   #6
smgray1

Never used them, and likely never will.

I'm kind of partial to heavy nuclear artillery myself.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:18 PM   #7
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Yes, artillery. Fixed initial post. Sorry. Cerebral eructation.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:17 PM   #8
GEVJockey

Once posted on the internet, it's never really gone. The Cobb formula says that the LAD should be worth 5.33 points (before taking the D result into account). So 6 VP sounds about right.

I've been mulling over a scenario using the LADs for quite some time. (I bought 4 from WH23). The premise was that a group of engineers had to recover information/components from a hulked Ogre in the SW corner of the GEV map. The attacker would be coming from the NE at the same time. The game starts with only the hulked Ogre on the board. The Defender would have several GEV-PCs and trucks / hover trucks that contained LADs to build a defensive perimeter to give them time to perform the recovery. Some of the trucks would be used to get the info/components off map before being overwhelmed. I kind of liked having a scenario where nothing was on the board to start. I guess I should finish up my ideas and put it out for playtest...

By the way, I find it interesting that Steve uses hexes as units of distance in the initial post.
GEVJockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:59 PM   #9
piningforthefjords

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEVJockey
By the way, I find it interesting that Steve uses hexes as units of distance in the initial post.
deep down he knows hexes are the real deal ;-)
Old 02-28-2008, 11:46 AM   #10
Apache
On Notice

Damn straight..:)