Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-04-2018, 12:33 PM   #51
Bruno

Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 4: Dragons

Oop. Yes, Elder Things! We have some extra Elder Things-y stuff in the Psionics book but more Things is good Things :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:40 PM   #52
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I was just going to mention elder things. I'd love to see more of them. Thinking of starting a thread on the DFRPG board where people can share what they've come up with. (There are only four in the DFRPG Monsters book.)

But I love demons too. I'd be happy with just about any monster treatment that is fully fleshed out.
I would love to have an Elder Thing book but my take on them is more Lovecraftian and space alien than what DF supposed. So for me I would prefer demons because they are such a common monster in Dungeon delving. Dungeons and Dragons could have been called Dungeons and Demons for the amount of demons that Gygax had in his adventures. Lolth, Tzuggtmoy, Iuz, Grazzt, Demogorgon, Orcus, etc. I hope that if a book is written that the powers of the AD&D demon lords are built so that they can be used in a DF adventure. Demogorgon had a rotting touch with his tentacle and Orcus had a death wand. Pit fiends are devils in AD&D but they could be a type of demon in DF.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:11 PM   #53
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Demons and Elder Things get tricky because they're actually classes that span a huge range of beings, many of them already found in earlier volumes.

Also, I have to deal with the reality that I'm not getting much or any new art, so I'm stuck with things that use a narrow range of available art.

And I really liked the super-narrow focus of Dragons: One monster with lots of options, not a class of monsters.

But I'll think on it!
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:16 PM   #54
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Also, I have to deal with the reality that I'm not getting much or any new art, so I'm stuck with things that use a narrow range of available art.
Hrm. If only there were a way to get writing AND art. Hrm. ;-)
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:16 PM   #55
b-dog

Quote:
Demons and Elder Things get tricky because they're actually classes that span a huge range of beings, many of them already found in earlier volumes.

And I really liked the super-narrow focus of Dragons: One monster with lots of options, not a class of monsters.

But I'll think on it!
How about djinn? I could use them in my GURPS DF/Arabian Nights/ Silk Road setting.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #56
Refplace

Quote:

But I'll think on it!
While you do, can you consider making such titles GURPS Bestiary instead of DF Monsters?
I dont know if the DF title for these adds or lowers sales but for whats it worth I avoided the DF line for a couple of years and think some people are confused and feel they are not suitable for regular GURPS fantasy.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:20 PM   #57
SilvercatMoonpaw

A book of magical beasts, with options to play them.
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:51 PM   #58
Pomphis

Quote:
But demons at least can have many things in common. For example:

Demon Template (15)

Doesn´t Breathe (20), Doesn´t Eat or Drink (10), Doesn´t Sleep (20), Night Vision 9 (9),
Resistant to All Means of Detecting Truth and Lies: Immunity (30),
Resistant to Mind Affecting Supernatural Abilities: Immunity (30), Resistant to Metabolic Hazards: Immunity (30),
Unaging (15), Ignition (1), Bully (12) (-10), Callous (-5), Dependency (Mana, Constantly) (-25),
Dread: Holy Signs, Elder Sign and Seal of Solomon (Occasional, 6 yds) (-15), Fragile (Unnatural) (-50),
Pacifism: Cannot Harm Innocents (prevents direct harm to truly good or holy folk only -50%) (-5), Selfish (12) (-5), Sadism (12) (-15), Social Stigma (Monster) (-15), Vulnerability to Holy and Blessed Weapons (Rare, x2) (-5),
Features: Affected by True Faith, Banish, Pentagram, Summon Demon, Bind Demon, Path of Spirit,
Sterile, Evil, Unholy

Demonic Resilience 1 (50)

DR 2 (Limited: Mundane, Hardened 1) (10), Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction /2 (Limited: Mundane) (40)

Demonic Resilience 2 (100)

DR 2 (Limited: Mundane, Hardened 2) (12), Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction /2 (Limited: Mundane) (40),
Regeneration (Slow = 1 HP/12 h, Mundane Damage Only) (8), Regrowth (40)

Demonic Resilience 3 (150)

DR 5 (Limited: Mundane, Hardened 2) (30), Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction /2 (Limited: Mundane) (40),
Regeneration (Fast = 1 HP/min, Mundane Damage Only) (40), Regrowth (40)

Demonic Resilience 4 (200)

DR 5 (Limited: Mundane, Hardened 2) (30), Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction /2 (Limited: Mundane) (40),
Regeneration (Very Fast = 1 HP/sec, Mundane Damage Only) (80), Regrowth (40), HP+5 (10)

Demonic Body 1 (0)
Injury Tolerance (No Brain, No Vitals) (10), Frightens Animals (-10)

Demonic Body 2 (25)
Injury Tolerance (Unliving, No Blood, No Brain, No Vitals) (35), Frightens Animals (-10)

Demonic Body 3 (50)
Injury Tolerance (Homogenous (includes No Brain, No Vitals), No Blood) (50),
DR 2 (Limited: Mundane, Hardened 1) (10), Frightens Animals (-10)

Demonic Body 4 (100)
Injury Tolerance (Diffuse (includes No Blood, No Brain, No Vitals)) (100),

Bind Demon Very Hard
Duration: variable
Cost: variable
Time to cast: 10 minutes
Prerequisite: Summon Demon
Effect: variable, the spell may be used in three different ways:
1): Bind a Summoned and controlled Demon to one specific task (e.g.: guard this room against intruders or tear down
that tower).
Duration: infinite or until the task is completed, but maximum is determined by Cost.
Cost: as Summon, modified by maximum Duration: 1 day: x1, 1 week: x2, 7 weeks: x3, 1 year: x4, 7 years: x5,
49 years: x6, 350 years: x7, 2,500 years: x8, 17,000 years: x9, 120,000 years: x10, and so on, +1 per x7
Resisted by Will + maximum duration cost multiple
2): Bind a Summoned and controlled Demon for one hour of service when called upon, it must then obey any and all
commands for one hour involving physical activity, especially not orders to tell the truth about demonkind,
it may interpret orders literally, it will appear after being called within 2d seconds.
The caster can give orders in advance, to be executed when triggered, or designate somebody (e.g.: the wearer of
this ring) to give orders. Triggered by a specified physical event, e.g. speaking of a command word or breaking an
item. It must be connected with a physical item which must be present to trigger the call.
Duration: infinte till called upon, then 1 hour.
Cost: as Summon
Resisted by Will
3): Bind a Summoned and controlled Demon to an item to grant any of it´s abilities (e.g.: DR) to the item or the item´s
user.
Duration: infinite, until item is destroyed, but maximum is determined by cost
Cost: as Summon plus 1 FP per 10 CPs of the granted ability´s value, modified by maximum Duration: 1 week: x1,
7 weeks: x2, 1 year: x3, 7 years: x4, 49 years: x5, 350 years: x6, 2,500 years: x7, and so on, +1 per x7
Resisted by Will+5
The three effects may also be learned as individual Hard spells.
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:51 PM   #59
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
By the way, I'm re-reading DF16: Wilderness Adventures, and I love the tone you struck writing and editing the DF series.
Yeah, I'll pitch my love for DF 16 again. It's the book that got me over my "DF is altogether too silly" mindset (being the second book of the DF I'd ever read).

As far as Dragons and Dungeons and Fights go, over on a play-by-post forum we're gearing up for a classic 'Knight versus Dragon' fight. A 300 point DF Knight (and his retinue of twp Squires and a gaggle of Hirelings) versus a medium sized DFRPG Dragon. I'll keep ye all briefed if you want.

It's being set in the ruins of Château Gaillard...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:03 PM   #60
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomphis View Post
But demons at least can have many things in common. For example:

Demon Template (15)

Doesn´t Breathe (20), Doesn´t Eat or Drink (10), Doesn´t Sleep (20), Night Vision 9 (9),
Resistant to All Means of Detecting Truth and Lies: Immunity (30),
Resistant to Mind Affecting Supernatural Abilities: Immunity (30), Resistant to Metabolic Hazards: Immunity (30),
Unaging (15), Ignition (1), Bully (12) (-10), Callous (-5), Dependency (Mana, Constantly) (-25),
Dread: Holy Signs, Elder Sign and Seal of Solomon (Occasional, 6 yds) (-15), Fragile (Unnatural) (-50),
Pacifism: Cannot Harm Innocents (prevents direct harm to truly good or holy folk only -50%) (-5), Selfish (12) (-5), Sadism (12) (-15), Social Stigma (Monster) (-15), Vulnerability to Holy and Blessed Weapons (Rare, x2) (-5),
Features: Affected by True Faith, Banish, Pentagram, Summon Demon, Bind Demon, Path of Spirit,
Sterile, Evil, Unholy

Demonic Resilience 1 (50)

DR 2 (Limited: Mundane, Hardened 1) (10), Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction /2 (Limited: Mundane) (40)

Demonic Resilience 2 (100)

DR 2 (Limited: Mundane, Hardened 2) (12), Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction /2 (Limited: Mundane) (40),
Regeneration (Slow = 1 HP/12 h, Mundane Damage Only) (8), Regrowth (40)

Demonic Resilience 3 (150)

Regeneration (Fast = 1 HP/min, Mundane Damage Only) (40), Regrowth (40)

Demonic Resilience 4 (200)

Regeneration (Very Fast = 1 HP/sec, Mundane Damage Only) (80), Regrowth (40), HP+5 (10)

Demonic Body 1 (0)
Injury Tolerance (No Brain, No Vitals) (10), Frightens Animals (-10)

Demonic Body 2 (25)
Injury Tolerance (Unliving, No Blood, No Brain, No Vitals) (35), Frightens Animals (-10)

Demonic Body 3 (50)
Injury Tolerance (Homogenous (includes No Brain, No Vitals), No Blood) (50),

Demonic Body 4 (100)
Injury Tolerance (Diffuse (includes No Blood, No Brain, No Vitals)) (100),

Bind Demon Very Hard
Duration: variable
Cost: variable
Time to cast: 10 minutes
Prerequisite: Summon Demon
Effect: variable, the spell may be used in three different ways:
1): Bind a Summoned and controlled Demon to one specific task (e.g.: guard this room against intruders or tear down
that tower).
Duration: infinite or until the task is completed, but maximum is determined by Cost.
Cost: as Summon, modified by maximum Duration: 1 day: x1, 1 week: x2, 7 weeks: x3, 1 year: x4, 7 years: x5,
49 years: x6, 350 years: x7, 2,500 years: x8, 17,000 years: x9, 120,000 years: x10, and so on, +1 per x7
Resisted by Will + maximum duration cost multiple
2): Bind a Summoned and controlled Demon for one hour of service when called upon, it must then obey any and all
commands for one hour involving physical activity, especially not orders to tell the truth about demonkind,
it may interpret orders literally, it will appear after being called within 2d seconds.
The caster can give orders in advance, to be executed when triggered, or designate somebody (e.g.: the wearer of
this ring) to give orders. Triggered by a specified physical event, e.g. speaking of a command word or breaking an
item. It must be connected with a physical item which must be present to trigger the call.
Duration: infinte till called upon, then 1 hour.
Cost: as Summon
Resisted by Will
3): Bind a Summoned and controlled Demon to an item to grant any of it´s abilities (e.g.: DR) to the item or the item´s
user.
Duration: infinite, until item is destroyed, but maximum is determined by cost
Cost: as Summon plus 1 FP per 10 CPs of the granted ability´s value, modified by maximum Duration: 1 week: x1,
7 weeks: x2, 1 year: x3, 7 years: x4, 49 years: x5, 350 years: x6, 2,500 years: x7, and so on, +1 per x7
Resisted by Will+5
The three effects may also be learned as individual Hard spells.
Would Dependancy Mana also include Unholy Sanctity? Maybe they can exist in an unholy demonic temple that has no mana, only Infernal energies?