Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-07-2018, 04:38 PM   #11
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: TL 10 Humans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
"Combat Reflexes" and to a degree also "High Pain Threshold" seems weird to me to have in a 'standard human', unless they come from a template originall cultivated for warfare or very dangerous exploration on other planets.
Life is dangerous. Combat reflexes is mostly just not freezing when shocked and the ability to react quickly and rationally. Who wouldn't want that in a default species?
Anyone who's ever suffered major injury would probably disagree with high pain threshold being useless for normal citizens.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:41 PM   #12
AlexanderHowl

Or anyone who suffers from chronic pain.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:45 PM   #13
tanksoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Combat reflexes is mostly just not freezing when shocked and the ability to react quickly and rationally.
So that gives you a +1 to parry?

Quote:
Anyone who's ever suffered major injury would probably disagree with high pain threshold being useless for normal citizens.
Reaction to and avoidance of pain is a survival trait. Easier and better to use medical technology to reduce the causes of pain and treat it's occurrences that to mute a primary survival instinct.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:58 PM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
Life is dangerous. Combat reflexes is mostly just not freezing when shocked and the ability to react quickly and rationally. Who wouldn't want that in a default species?
Combat reflexes is, essentially, always setting aside a portion of your mental processing power for threat analysis. Would you want a package of "IQ -1, Per +1, Combat Reflexes"? Because that's a realistic approximation of its mental cost (similar arguments apply to many of these advantages. GURPS notwithstanding, if not everyone has a trait, there's probably a tradeoff).
Quote:
TL 10 has medicine. We have pain responses for a reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Or anyone who suffers from chronic pain.
TL 10 has medicine. It's far better to fix the cause of the pain than to mask it.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:59 PM   #15
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Well, height is clearly a component of attractiveness in men at least, and that must surely be judged relatively.
I'm reminded of a whimsical proposal I read some years ago, to the effect that, since male success in such activities as business and political was significantly correlated with height, we could stop having people fill out income tax forms and simply impose a height tax of so much per inch.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:07 PM   #16
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

We used to do these types of exercises a lot. I always enjoy the conversations and variations.

We can't know what the future looks like, we can only speculate, so we have to make up humanities future to help determine what a human living in that future would be like... yada yada, omg, we've been talking about this for nine hours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Human [250]Notes: Less Sleep does not occur until maturity (age 18) due to sleep requirements of rapidly developing brains.
Do you mean Age 4 since they have Early Maturation 2.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:08 PM   #17
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I'm reminded of a whimsical proposal I read some years ago, to the effect that, since male success in such activities as business and political was significantly correlated with height, we could stop having people fill out income tax forms and simply impose a height tax of so much per inch.
One of my economics professors suggested that in passing in a lecture on tax theory.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:18 PM   #18
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
When I was growing up I was kind of tall (and exceptionally robust, but that's another story). From year 7 to year 10 in the little high school I went to I was regularly third tallest out of twenty-two or twenty-three boys in my year, and I ended up 179 cm tall (5'10.5"). But compared with my nephews' contemporaries I am pretty short. Improved nutrition, immunisation, better treatment of childhood disease, reduced stress during childhood, and better athletic training seems to have produced, out of the same genetic material as my contemporaries, a swarm of young men over 180 cm tall (and one of my nephews is 197 cm tall).
Where I work at the moment I see a lot of young adults and teenagers. I was 178cm at their age and in a mixed crowd people taller then me stood out, but weren't rare. Today I see a lot of teenaged boys who are over six foot (182cm), and quite a few girls my height or taller. Amongst the adults in their early 20s, there are even more people over six feet, and while they really stand out, I see enough women over six feet tall that I can't really say that they are rare. In my generation they definitely were.

That said, one thing I notice is that few of these tall young people are at all stocky, male or female. I wonder if doing less physical work as they're growing is resulting in their bodies growing up but not becoming as solid as people tended to be previously. Also, the men's hands are more slender than I expect.
Quote:
Well, height is clearly a component of attractiveness in men at least, and that must surely be judged relatively.
It is in women, too, but rather than being 'taller is better', which is is for men in western society, it's 'tall, but not too tall' for women.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:20 PM   #19
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
I take issue ever making players pay to not get cancer. Immunity to Cancer is more is just Immunity to My GM Being a Dick and Arbitrarily Making My PC Die Horribly.
I would say it's a Taboo Trait (Terminal Illness (Cancer)), and thus a feature of the template. As a feature, it's worth zero points.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:21 PM   #20
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB.6361 View Post
We used to do these types of exercises a lot. I always enjoy the conversations and variations.

We can't know what the future looks like, we can only speculate, so we have to make up humanities future to help determine what a human living in that future would be like... yada yada, omg, we've been talking about this for nine hours!

Do you mean Age 4 since they have Early Maturation 2.
Extended Lifespan quadruples maturation rate while Early Maturation 2 quarters it, so it evens out being the same as the TL 8 human maturation rate.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote