Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 01-02-2018, 01:02 PM   #81
demonsbane

Default Re: Translation problems in new GURPS Lite Spanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evadam View Post
Hi there, spanish native speaker here.
Welcome to the forum!

Quote:
Thrust -> "Directo" or "Recto"
Swing -> "Curvo" or "Revés" or "Balanceado"
Nice input.

Here's what I think for what it's worth.

For Thrust, I'd use the GURPS 3E translation from La Factoría de Ideas (year 1995): Acometida.

Now, for Swing, the proposed terms also in earlier posts around here . . . don't look like sports related, instead of combat? Like tennis or football.

Myself after more pondering just use Golpe for translating Swing, since despite it being rough, it looks like the most general term avoiding misunderstandings. Definitely it's better than Sacudida in many cases!

I believe that a footnote from the translation, "(Nota del T.)", could say for the sake of clarity that the actual term varies depending on the weapon, so it may be a mandoble (from a two-handed sword), a tajo (from a broadsword) or a golpe (from a staff without a cutting edge).

A clarification like this to my mind would solve the idiomatic difficulty with the Spanish translation of Swing in the context of weapons and combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
I don't know if we will ever try to update that edition of Lite (. . .)
That's true. However it would be great news!

In any case, trying to solve unusual difficulties with the translation of a term like this one in an official way, like with this thread, would be helpful to run GURPS games with participants using this language.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:13 PM   #82
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
In portuguese we use "Golpe de Ponta" for Thurst and "Golpe de Balanço" for Swing. It work fine IMO.
Literally translated they would be "Golpe de Punta" and "Golpe de Balanceo", respectively. However I don't think they would work very well in Spanish, at least because they sound more like explanations than terms, and there's not a shortage of them! ;)

Wolfgang Smith

My G+

Last edited by demonsbane; 01-03-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:43 AM   #83
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
p23, under "Daño", daño básico frontal (frt) o lateral (ltl) -> ??? (We need better translations for Swing and Thrust. 3rd ed used Thrust->"Acometida", that was mostly ok, and Swing->"Mandoble", that was not, as it means two handed sword) [Misstranslation]
Another suggestion for translating Swing: Blandir (to brandish), a Spanish term matching with the meaning to translate here and also specially suited for the usage of weapons, free of troublesome assumptions like edge or number of hands. (1)

If it would be technically right to use Blandidura (and I'm not sure of it, (2)) or Blandida (uncommon), to my mind it would be the perfect couple for Acometida (3) (a great translation for Thrust).

Thus, "Thrust and Swing Damage" would be translated as "Daño de Acometida y de Blandir" o "Daño de Acometida y Blandidura" (o Blandida).

(1) There's available as well Sacudir, which is usable but more vulgar, deriving from it Sacudida in the same sense of Blandidura or Blandida (see above in this same reply).
(2) I see this term used in the precise sense of a GURPS Swing in a Wikipedia entry for a manga, speaking of the magic sword Tenseiga, able to open the door of the underworld with a single swing ("abrir la puerta al inframundo con una sola blandidura").
(3) Action of the verb Acometer.

Wolfgang Smith

My G+

Tags
spanish, translation