Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 11-16-2017, 08:35 PM   #1
WaterAndWindSpirit

Default How to implement Loyalty Missions in tabletop RPG?

Hello everyone!

So an idea I have absolutely loved in several computer RPGs are loyalty missions/companion side quests. You get to delve into the backstory of a friendly NPC and then learn about their personality some more and help them come to terms with... Whatever their problems are, and you get a nice in-game perk to represent their newfound focus/the growing bond between the two of you.

So I wanted to find a way to get that dynamic into tables I would GM for.

Imagining NPCs for me would be the easiest part. Now comes the hard part.

So, how do I make NPCs eligible for such quests and notify the players that they can undertake them? Also, how do I incite them to undertake such missions?

What types of perks are we looking at to make it worthwhile but not too overpowered?

I love GM'ing GURPS, but I'm open to more general ideas. :)

Thanks!
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:52 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: How to implement Loyalty Missions in tabletop RPG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
So, how do I make NPCs eligible for such quests
Make them be people with problems that the PCs can help solve and give them a sense of gratitude.
Quote:
and notify the players that they can undertake them?
"Oh its nothing. Well, if you must know, my father is in prison but that isn't important right now. About that book you are looking for.. "

"Yessir, that takes me back, twenty odd years ago, this was the fastest racing sloop in the Belt. I guess she'n'I both 'av seen better days. She could race again, though if I only 'ad the parts, ya'see... Well, son, what can I do ya fer?"

Quote:
Also, how do I incite them to undertake such missions?
I find that players will pick up the hooks that intersest them without much prodding, but disadvantages like Greed, Charitable, Lecherous, are pretty good sticks if you need them.
Quote:
What types of perks are we looking at to make it worthwhile but not too overpowered?
Ally, Contact or Patron, (possibly with Favor) seem like the obvious ones.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:06 PM   #3
whswhs

My experience with NPCs has been that I can't necessarily predict in advance which ones the PCs will adopt in that way. But from time to time they do adopt NPCs. So instead I try to take advantage of the adoption, by bringing up problems for the PCs to address. This is more of an improv approach, but it doesn't depend on my being able to program the players to do what I want, which is a case of "That trick never works!"

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:59 AM   #4
Anthony

In general 'loyalty' missions are just normal roleplaying in a tabletop game -- an ally, friend, or potential friend has a problem, you help them because that's the friendly thing to do, and they are then more positively disposed towards you (or more able to help, because they are no longer busy with that other thing).
Old 11-17-2017, 01:53 PM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

What makes loyalty missions work best is that it features a character that you already know well and is part of your party. I would suggest that a classic loyalty mission is not given by an NPC, but by a PC: a member of the party.

If you just want to have NPC's stick around after the PC's complete a mission, that's another effect. And I don't think it makes things over powered unless the NPC starts dominating the game.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:58 AM   #6
Anaraxes

The question bumps into the question of what systems need mechanics in RPGs. The classic RPG has pages and pages of details for tactical combat, and blows off social interaction and conflict as "just roleplaying". Other designs try to have "social combat" systems where there are stats and mechanics controlling the resolution of those conflicts, and tracking the results. Say, when you burn up that NPCs Loyalty Points by inflicting Loyalty Damage via demands, you run some Loyalty Missions to heal the Loyalty Damage back so the NPC remains loyal. Some games even try to use the same mechanics for all sorts of conflict -- physical, mental, social, etc.

There's a lot of gray area when it comes to things like morale checks in physical combat (is it just roleplaying and player agency to decide to run away, or is that an adverse combat result that can be mechanically forced upon you, like dying or losing a hand?), or horror / fright checks (is fear and despair just roleplaying, like positive emotions?), or reaction rolls and bonuses for them.

Having a Loyalty stat that gets adjusted by the outcomes of Loyalty Missions, and presumably affects whether the NPC would be cooperative in other contexts, tends toward the mechanical end of the scale. GURPS tends toward the "just roleplay it" end of the scale.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote