Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Forum Feedback and Help

Old 11-02-2021, 04:34 PM   #51
Farmer

Default Re: Did the forum change styles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleph View Post
This change is an unexpected one, predicated by changes occurring elsewhere on the site that used shared resources. As time allows, I'll try to test some color improvements here, but they will likely be more consistent with the new changes being made elsewhere.

Our shifts have not been to darker themes with our newer sites, though. If you look at munchkin.game, thefantastytrip.game, and carwars.sjgames.com, you can see that we have been moving to lighter, rather than darker, sites.
The main websites for those others work fine, as does SJG main site. The fora are all challenging in terms of colour palette. Orange and yellow (as some approximaion of gold I guess based on the main logo) seem to cause contrast issues and don't work well against a black background. On mobile devices the contrast issues are more dramatic. The combinations also seem unmatched - they're not really complimentary in a colour theory sense. Use of a colour wheel (many available online) might help.

Light themes can still look great and modern and be easy on the eye, despite a trend at the moment towards dark, but the most important thing about fora is readability, secondary even to branding.
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 04:40 PM   #52
Parody

I don't find it as bad on my phone, for whatever it's worth.

I'm going to try a couple other styles when I get home, see if I like how they look.
Old 11-02-2021, 04:49 PM   #53
Aleph
Administrator

For those that prefer the old look, I have made an exception and created a user-selectable style that mimics the old look. (Replacing some replaced textures with flat colors.)

To select this style, go into User Settings, then choose Edit Options from the list on the left. Then scroll all the way down to the bottom section of Miscellaneous Options. There you can go to the Forum Skin section and choose the Classic Forum Colors option from the drop down menu. Save your settings and you should be back to the old look.

I will continue adjusting the new look at a later time.
Aleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 04:52 PM   #54
mehrkat

Quote:
For those that prefer the old look, I have made an exception and created a user-selectable style that mimics the old look. (Replacing some replaced textures with flat colors.)

To select this style, go into User Settings, then choose Edit Options from the list on the left. Then scroll all the way down to the bottom section of Miscellaneous Options. There you can go to the Forum Skin section and choose the Classic Forum Colors option from the drop down menu. Save your settings and you should be back to the old look.

I switched back.

My eyeballs thank you :)
Old 11-02-2021, 05:15 PM   #55
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:

Thank you for this.
MIB #1457
sjard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:49 PM   #56
adm

Quote:

Thank you so much. Your tweaks were an improvement, but not a huge one.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:29 PM   #57
Farmer

Quote:
You are a wonderful person :-)
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:47 PM   #58
Polydamas

If the text colour is #000000, and the background colour of posts is #181200 (I am out of practice reading CSS) then webaim estimates the contrast ration as 1.12 and rates it insufficient https://webaim.org/resources/contrastchecker/ The old background colour #E8C54A gave a contrast ratio of 12.5 to 1 by the same source.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:50 PM   #59
Hide

Quote:

THANK YOU! THIS IS GREAT!
Old 11-02-2021, 07:56 PM   #60
vicious Violence

Quote:

Thank you now back to regular posting!
vicious Violence is offline   Reply With Quote