Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-02-2019, 11:02 AM   #11
Donny Brook

Default Re: Base and other property

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwythaint View Post
Part of the reason I used Base is because I could not find another way to replicate a gift of ownership that wasn't specifically wealth. They didn't buy it, it isn't a room in a tavern, and it also isnt an apartment building; it is a run down set of two story single family row houses ( with a total of two rooms and a loft space and a root cellar that ties in to a common basement used by the whole block (or what is left of it)that was used for traskh pickup when that service was available. (The space above the underground common area was a green patch used as kitchen gardens by the same community) The houses are in bad shape and the idea was that they could be upgraded with expenditure of points and cash; it is more in line of Signature gear: tenament block than it is Batcave. The deed is not likely to be rescinded, no one can steal the place(although it could be robbed) and while the buildings could be burned, they keep the land and underground access.
Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like they picked the property up during play, not at character generation. So I think you need a setting-based approach rather than a rules-based approach.

If they bought or someone gave it to them, then they own it in the same sense as if they bought or someone gave them a horse (with whatever laws apply in their locale), no character points needed.

If the problem is they need more money than they have for renovations, you could let them incur the Debt disadvantage with them obtaining capital in an amount relative to the repayments the disad involves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Because there are minor in game effects. ...
Owning things in-game can cover all those in-game effects. None of them seem particularly 'meta'.

Last edited by Donny Brook; 09-02-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:38 PM   #12
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Owning things in-game can cover all those in-game effects. None of them seem particularly 'meta'.
The points are largely a meta "We don't have to deal with legal hassles in game" and a "It will make us a small stipend" effects.

Though I suspect Gwythaint is looking for other benes that could be incorporated into it.

Quote:
DF demands that delvers payout 150$ a week to survive... this mitigates a portion of that genre rule. Also the game setting demands you have a 'permanent' residence to live in the city, while a Guild membership (1 point Perk) covers this, a few points in a Base covers this as well as giving us a "storage place" that (theoretically*) costs no money.

* It's costing money because our characters refuse to live in a residence with roof leaks and gaps around doors and etc. And because we want Alchemy Labs, and workshops, and such.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:13 PM   #13
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
The points are largely a meta "We don't have to deal with legal hassles in game" and a "It will make us a small stipend" effects.

Though I suspect Gwythaint is looking for other benes that could be incorporated into it.

DF demands that delvers payout 150$ a week to survive... this mitigates a portion of that genre rule. Also the game setting demands you have a 'permanent' residence to live in the city, while a Guild membership (1 point Perk) covers this, a few points in a Base covers this as well as giving us a "storage place" that (theoretically*) costs no money.

* It's costing money because our characters refuse to live in a residence with roof leaks and gaps around doors and etc. And because we want Alchemy Labs, and workshops, and such.
I guess I missed where anyone said this was a DF game. I never play that, so I'm unaware of the peculiar challenges it puts in the way of roleplaying.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:31 PM   #14
Pursuivant

I've seen variations of the "Base" advantage as well.

They're tricky to figure out since they're potentially an aspect of Status (e.g., ancestral castle) and could easily be a feature of Wealth (e.g., someone else's ancestral castle that you bought). Access to someone else's fancy base is part of the Patron or Ally advantage. In some versions of GURPS Traveller, ownership of a spaceship was also a special form of Wealth.

There are a few cases in literature and fiction where characters of otherwise modest means have access to impressive bases, like some versions of Superman's Fortress of Solitude or Robin Hood or Merlin's cave. In those cases, it would make sense to treat a Base as a special form of Wealth + Patron, perhaps with a serious limitation to Wealth since you can't take your Base with you.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:58 PM   #15
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
I've seen variations of the "Base" advantage as well.

They're tricky to figure out since they're potentially an aspect of Status (e.g., ancestral castle) and could easily be a feature of Wealth (e.g., someone else's ancestral castle that you bought). Access to someone else's fancy base is part of the Patron or Ally advantage. In some versions of GURPS Traveller, ownership of a spaceship was also a special form of Wealth.

There are a few cases in literature and fiction where characters of otherwise modest means have access to impressive bases, like some versions of Superman's Fortress of Solitude or Robin Hood or Merlin's cave. In those cases, it would make sense to treat a Base as a special form of Wealth + Patron, perhaps with a serious limitation to Wealth since you can't take your Base with you.
Signature Gear works in some cases. The issue is that for large objects and/or early TLs, it makes things vastly overpriced. For example, at TL3, $1 million in SG (which probably wouldn't even buy you a castle), would cost a whopping 2000 points.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:34 AM   #16
Jariel

If this is a DF game then you should check out DF: Caverntown, specifically pages 28-29. It covers the cost of adventures buying property in Caverntown and what amenities the property provides (not having to pay upkeep, servants to clean and protect your stuff, etc.). Even if you don't set your campaign there it covers a lot of useful information and could be a good source of inspiration.
Jariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
base, dungeon fantasy, property advantage