Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:57 PM   #11
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: All the howitzers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
Plus, as you've stated yourself GP, you are an avowed lover of G.E.V. and the conventional units. There is definitely an observer bias! <grin>
I make no apologies for my bias; it's part of the package. I still manage to play everything I want, even if I need only 14 of the 28 pounds to do it. :-)
Old 02-13-2017, 07:14 PM   #12
ianargent

It's not THAT hard to get additional PE conventional units; Sheet B has a decent selection, and Drew used that for the Papal states and SoON, and the Nightfall set gets you another B-series page with counters in PE livery even. And 6e has a very nice distribution of conventional PE units and infantry.

But the only sponsored sheet with NAC units is the Nihon set; everyone else with conventional units uses the PE equipment. And all the PE counters use a plain white background field - the NAC equipment counters have 3 very distinct background fields (black for NAC, grey for BR, and red for Nihon).

(Not a complaint, or at least not a big one. Just an observation)
ianargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:39 PM   #13
mstlaurent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Full Disclosure: My bread-and-butter is G.E.V.; I have a well-documented bias toward conventional forces. :-)
Ditto. I actually remember being ten years old and looking at Ogre (back before G.E.V. came out), and thinking, "Does the other side have any heavy tanks or G.E.V.s? What would it be like if they fought each other?"

Quote:
First off, understand I was just a backer at the time these decisions were made, so I have no "inside information". That being said, all of these issues relate to the same concept, that being the multiplicative power of additional sheets.

<snip>

You might find an extra set of counters more cost-effective. Obviously you will get more trains, and howitzers, and Ogres, but you will get more of the other units as well.

D.
I do realize that we're Monday-morning-quarterbacking decisions that were made five years ago in the heat of the rush when I'm sure it felt like people who were backing dump trucks full of money up to SJ Games' door were demanding a product RIGHT NOW! I guess what I'm saying is that if they had had the luxury of time they probably could have done a better job of laying things out.

Buy another set of counters, lay everything out on the table and decide what the best counter mix for the game box is, put everything else in cold storage as spares? Could happen.
mstlaurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:45 PM   #14
wolf90

Well, Ogre Reinforcements will be bringing more NAC units with juuuust slightly differing coloring from the ODE units in the same manner as Ogre Sixth Edition did for PE units.

As far as the other factions, some choices were deliberate (I felt the Vatican forces really had to be of PE design), some were victims of circumstance (seeing as the Vatican were PE units, the SoON had to be, as I was splitting my sheet allotment between the two factions), and some were simply aesthetic (as far as I know, the colors on the Black Rose and Nihon were just to allow them to offset vs. PE units in the same manner as the NAC, only with a different background color).

Are you asking for another faction with NAC-style units? (Do we really need more?)

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:51 PM   #15
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstlaurent View Post
Buy another set of counters, lay everything out on the table and decide what the best counter mix for the game box is, put everything else in cold storage as spares? Could happen.
{Sheepish confession}

I actually bought a whole second ODE box back then for just that reason! One is my "play" set, with ODE and Barbarian forces in mixes I like, and the other is the "spare parts" set!

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.

Last edited by wolf90; 02-13-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:21 PM   #16
ianargent

Quote:
Well, Ogre Reinforcements will be bringing more NAC units with juuuust slightly differing coloring from the ODE units in the same manner as Ogre Sixth Edition did for PE units.

As far as the other factions, some choices were deliberate (I felt the Vatican forces really had to be of PE design), some were victims of circumstance (seeing as the Vatican were PE units, the SoON had to be, as I was splitting my sheet allotment between the two factions), and some were simply aesthetic (as far as I know, the colors on the Black Rose and Nihon were just to allow them to offset vs. PE units in the same manner as the NAC, only with a different background color).

Are you asking for another faction with NAC-style units? (Do we really need more?)

D.
Nah - I'm good with the number of NAC-equipped factions. I'd forgotten Reinforcements was in the pipeline. And, honestly, SoON being PE-equipped balances them nicely as "the mercs with the PE gear" as opposed to Black Rose's "mercs with NAC gear." (And the Papal States balances Nihon as far as "second-line powers equipped by..."). ARF is tiny (and makes sense to have PE gear) Leaving the Nightfall set as the only unbalancing factor, and with them replacing so many of the GEVs with softskin targets...
ianargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:47 PM   #17
wolf90

BTW . . . If you're just looking for more Ogre Sixth Edition units, you might consider adding extra sheets. Just released on W23!

D.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:07 PM   #18
mstlaurent

Quote:
{Sheepish confession}

I actually bought a whole second ODE box back then for just that reason! One is my "play" set, with ODE and Barbarian forces in mixes I like, and the other is the "spare parts" set!

D.
Why sheepish? I've given more than half a thought to buying another copy. (The guy I bought this one from has another up on BGG for the same price.) They aren't making any more of them, you know.

If nothing else, I have two sons who are both very interested in the game, if I bought another they could both have a copy when they leave the house.

Quote:
BTW . . . If you're just looking for more Ogre Sixth Edition units, you might consider adding extra sheets. Just released on W23!

D.
See, buying a copy of that, and then a copy of Reinforcements seems like it would give you a good mix of additional units, without adding a lot of stuff that you already have and don't need (like Ogres, trains, terrain overlays, etc.). And in two new color schemes.
mstlaurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:34 PM   #19
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
{Sheepish confession}

D.
pffft... I have:

1. KS set - this is the "go to" box
2. KS set, unopened - This is the "when my go to box inevitably meets some disaster
3. Retail, unopened - originally because of the ACD sheet, and to support the FLGS, with the intention of using it as extra maps (Orange, in particular). Will likely end up being a gift to someone once I determine who will appreciate it (maybe the high school gaming club).
4. 6Ed - The "portable" set and the new demo set (since I need to demo stuff that is in print)
Old 02-14-2017, 04:49 AM   #20
GreyHart

Quote:
{Sheepish confession}

D.
Oh good. I'm not the only one who bought a second box for spare parts. I don't feel so bad now. :)

Thinking about it.. I should have gotten two of all the backer sheets. :(

R.I.P.T.A. (Rhode Island Pedestrians Targeting Autoduellists) - "You just took a right turn into hell, and ya didn't use ya blinkah!"

PETA (Pedestrians Eradicating Troublesome Autoduellists) - "Keeping our crosswalks mined since 2013."

Do not meddle in the affairs of OGREs, for you are squishy under their treads.
GreyHart is offline   Reply With Quote