Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-30-2011, 09:49 AM   #21
mehrkat

Default Re: Will I Ever Get Into GURPS?

I finally just decided I was going to run a game in GURPS with a couple of special rules:

1. I've made a serious attempt to understand the rules specifically I've given special attention to combat rules to understand the basics. However, if I don't know a rule I will make it up something that "makes sense" and we can look it up later so we keep the pace of the game.
2. My goal is fun for everybody. If I mess up and accidentally make something happen that takes away fun I will try to fix it. If the rules make something unfun then we change it.

I focused on combat in GURPS lite used the skills in BASIC and the powers in BASIC and Powers and then winged it the rest of the way. The players sort of have to take a leap of faith with you that you are trying and you have to accept you will mess up

My problem is knocking off the power balance because of being a firm victim of neater skeeter effect that I occasionally have to do nice things for another player to re-balance things.

The know I'm trying. They know to leave discussion to after the game or before the next game and we just play. I know that I can discuss things rationally with them and that we aren't in a competition but a collaborative effort.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:57 AM   #22
Jeffr0

All Gamemastering boils down to this:

1) If the player wants to do something, either say "yes" or roll some dice.
2) If there's a rule for it and you remember it, go with it... otherwise make up an on-the-spot ruling that makes sense to determine what dice you roll and what the target is, etc.
3) [OPTIONAL] If there is an area that you felt suffered or that you'd otherwise like to do more "by the book", look up the rules for this BETWEEN SESSIONS.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #23
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrkat View Post
1. I've made a serious attempt to understand the rules specifically I've given special attention to combat rules to understand the basics. However, if I don't know a rule I will make it up something that "makes sense" and we can look it up later so we keep the pace of the game.
One of the nice things with GURPS is that this approach often gets you a result that is close enough to the actual rules that you can easily fudge it and hide your fudging behind the GM screen, and none the wiser.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:56 PM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
Note really. They are very simplified, right, but they are still described: in the Aim maneuver (page 25-26), In the Ranged Attacks paragraph (page 27), the Ranged Attack Modifiers one (page 27) and the Size and Speed/Range Table one (page 27-28). This table is summarized, a lot, but with the Basic Set, it is not really a problem: you've got the integral table.
Specifically it is missing any rules for Rapid Fire, but includes weapons with RoF 2+ (including a shotgun with shotload stats).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch_Wolf View Post
Also the thing I learned mostly from DF is that I can't run straight Dungeons Fantasy anyway,
Out of curiosity, is that a personal preference, or due to some lack in the rules?

Last edited by sir_pudding; 11-30-2011 at 02:59 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:03 PM   #25
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Specifically it is missing any rules for Rapid Fire, but includes weapons with RoF 2+ (including a shotgun with shotload stats).
Yes. This is precisely where I hate not being able to write all the nuances I desire in English… Griffin was right in one thing: range combat is very, very summarized in GURPS Lite. But that's hard to do better in only 32 pages.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #26
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
But that's hard to do better in only 32 pages.
Personally, I think that some traits with very little generic use (e.g. Jumper) could be replaced with the missing rules for Rapid Fire. The shotgun should probably just be removed.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #27
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch_Wolf View Post
As people above have recommended GURPS light is an excellent product although personally I mostly use it in conjunction with the GM screen as a reference at the table and do not allow me to use any other references during play (this speeds up play dramatically) if there is something you don't know just just make a call and look it up after play.
This is exactly what I do and what I recommend too!

GURPS Lite + GM Screen + what you know by heart. GURPS 4 is so consistent that you will always fall on your feet. For the rest, between sessions.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #28
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Personally, I think that some traits with very little generic use (e.g. Jumper) could be replaced with the missing rules for Rapid Fire. The shotgun should probably just be removed.
Yes. Some improvement could certainly be added here or there.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #29
OldSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by towishimp View Post
I've been playing GURPS for over ten years now, off and on. I've never read Basic straight through.
Same here... After about six years now, I probably have read everything in the Basic and, of course, some important parts several times, but I never read it straight through. (Though I have a very good knowledge of most rules these days, including Martial Arts and other special stuff :p) I'd agree that straight reading through can be quite boring and I don't think it's necessary. What counts is what you can remember and reading hundreds of pages of abstract informations in a row makes this a hard way IMHO.

My advise: Read the Basic Set, but first skip most of the stuff and just focus on the essentials! ("flying over the text")

Write out what is most important for you and leave out very specific things, of course it's not a bad idea to make some notes where to find the rules about "special situation x" if you want to use it later.

I'd start reading the first 20 pages... After that you can begin skipping details, just know what the sections are about.
For instance you don't need to read every advantage, just read the headline and maybe the first two sentences or so, to know what it's about, same with skills ;)
Get game-helps like the skill categories and the (fan-made) advantage categories, so you have lists helping you to find the correct advantages when you are selecting traits for new characters.
If you want to make your learning easier, you could first start a simple, mundane game in the style of GURPS:Action or something like that, thus you can leave out Magic and PSI at first.
Be sure to read the Chapter "Combat Lite", that is really important. Also be sure to read page 343-349 and 356-360 in the Campaigns, that is very important, too, IMHO.
Know the basic maneuvers for combat and make small funny test combats with a friend, use the "combat cards" as help.
If everything runs smooth, go deeper and read Chapter 11: Combat and other things you find interesting... Good Luck! ;)

Last edited by OldSam; 11-30-2011 at 05:02 PM.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #30
Wraithe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
I just cannot seem to make this commitment even though learning this All-In-One gaming tool set is one of my biggest gaming dreams. If I could take the plunge and finally commit I know it would bring me a great deal of happiness. I'm just looking for some advice on how to go about breaking this horrible cycle. To date I have attempted to read GURPS six times. I think the farthest I ever got was page (somewhere in the 50's). Any ideas, feedback, suggestions, or references to resources that might inspire would be so very appreciated.
In addition to the great advice already given:

The most important thing you can do to get into GURPS is simply start playing.

If you want to PC, find a GM, let him/her know that you're working on getting into the system, but want to play, and you should be golden.

If you want to GM, go over the GURPS Lite rules, come up with a basic campaign outline, get some players and go for it.

You will make mistakes, but simply learn from them, the most important thing is to simply Get Going and have fun. As long as you put the energy into playing, as player or GM, it should only get better.

The GURPS rules are an encyclopedia, not a novel. Look in the books for things you need, but don't worry about "finishing" them.
Wraithe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basic set, gurps, introductions to gurps, learning, mechanics