Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-30-2018, 01:12 PM   #11
Axly Suregrip

Default Re: Transparent hex overlay for maps?

I do it the other way. I put down a map and cover it with a 3' x 3' sheet of plexiglass. Then use dry erase markers on the plexiglass during play as needed.

Get plexiglass from Home Depot.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:13 PM   #12
larsdangly

thanks everyone; I'm all good now. The specific problem I was trying to solve was overlaying a hex grid on top of the billions of maps I use from Dyson Logos as part of my TFT setting. Most of them are either not gridded or have a square grid, and it helps play during chases, 'exploration' or when setting up for fights if I have an explicit record of how MH's will map onto the base map. Anyway, I found what I needed after a bit more googling.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:24 PM   #13
Barliman

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Anyway, I found what I needed after a bit more googling.
Which was...? (He asked free-riding on someone else's Google-fu)
Barliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:52 PM   #14
Ronald

My search skills could use some guidance as well.
Not long ago I started with a Google search for "transparent hex-grid overlay" which ended up at DriveThruRPG and an unrelated purchase.
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:21 PM   #15
platimus

I wouldn't mind hearing lars' answer but...

If you get paint.net (name of the program, not a website; it's basically MSPaint on steroids), you can install the HexGrid plugin (by BoltBait, I think). You can then open any image (map) and add a hex-grid to it. You'll probably want to create a new layer for it until you get sized and positioned just the way you want.

(I have bolded some suggested search terms for finding the downloads of this stuff.)
Old 11-03-2018, 08:45 AM   #16
larsdangly

Sorry gang; I found a great one that I snagged and am using ... but I'm having trouble re-finding it! Very frustrating. I'll post a link when I track it down again. Alternatively, if you pm me your email address I'll send it to you as a file.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:06 AM   #17
Helborn

What about shadekeeps mapping tool? Just print a hex or megahex design onto a transparency of whatever size you want.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:27 PM   #18
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helborn View Post
What about shadekeeps mapping tool? Just print a hex or megahex design onto a transparency of whatever size you want.
I looked into that before. It's a bit too grainy or pixelated for my tastes. If one simply googles for "megahex overlay" you will find one.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:14 PM   #19
platimus

If anyone wants a "hex-dots" overlay, let me know. What is it? Picture a hex-grid overlay with a dot in the center of every hex. Now, remove the outlines of the hexes. I started making one last night with black dots for the centers of normal hexes and larger red dots for the centers of megahexes.