Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-31-2018, 09:23 AM   #1
Terquem

Default Future Kickstarter Speculation thread

I have this crazy idea for a Fantasy Trip, “kid’s edition” Kickstarter.

A kid’s sized play mat (like those ones that come in a large plastic tube) with a fully illustrated dungeon by Dyson Logos. The tube comes with four plastic heroes (whose pictures and descriptions are printed in “card” format in the corners of the play mat), six goblins, four orcs, six skeletons, three ghouls, and one small dragon (maybe a couple of other monsters), a couple of treasure chests, and four oversized d6s. No rules are provided but a small paper insert with the tube has suggestions for how to play games with the mat and figures.

I think this would be great for us to give to our grand kids.

Do you have any ideas, wish lists, speculations (I think we've all seen the 3D terrain that is in the works!) on other future "The Fantasy Trip" Kickstarters you would like to see?
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:08 AM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: Future Kickstarter Speculation thread

I want to see more toys: Table top gear, like terrain for battle mats, miniatures, etc.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:49 PM   #3
Shadekeep

Nice idea, the “kid’s edition”! Could make a fun gateway into the system.

How about a set of pre-printed laminate stock megahexes with various dungeon terrain on them that you could mix-and-match to build a dungeon on the fly? I'm sure there's already something like that out there, but one tailored for TFT would be extra sweet.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:52 PM   #4
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
I have this crazy idea for a Fantasy Trip, “kid’s edition” Kickstarter.

A kid’s sized play mat (like those ones that come in a large plastic tube) with a fully illustrated dungeon by Dyson Logos. The tube comes with four plastic heroes (whose pictures and descriptions are printed in “card” format in the corners of the play mat), six goblins, four orcs, six skeletons, three ghouls, and one small dragon (maybe a couple of other monsters), a couple of treasure chests, and four oversized d6s. No rules are provided but a small paper insert with the tube has suggestions for how to play games with the mat and figures.

I think this would be great for us to give to our grand kids.

Do you have any ideas, wish lists, speculations (I think we've all seen the 3D terrain that is in the works!) on other future "The Fantasy Trip" Kickstarters you would like to see?
I like this. One suggested change: drop the oversized dice. Instead, put one of those 'Sorry' dice bubbles in there somewhere. Put 4 die in it. Two of one color and one each of two additional colors. (I am assuming the oversized dice were desired to avoid 'choking hazards'. The dice bubble avoids this as well but is much more convenient to work with.)
Old 10-31-2018, 02:35 PM   #5
larsdangly

I'm not a big fan of supplements that 'evolve' rules sets because they pretty much always result in a degradation of the experience of the game; that is even more likely to be true for a game as old and heavily playtested as TFT. So, if there are kickstarters for new system supplements, I would want to see them add to rather than modify the core of what is there. Some additions that I think could be particularly worthwhile:

Critters
Spells
My own pet fetish: a Melee-scale sub-system for exploring and traveling across hex maps, to support out door sandbox play
Old 10-31-2018, 03:21 PM   #6
Buzzardo

I like the "decks" idea. I'd instantly back decks of monsters (including boss monsters), heroes, small dungeons (imagine a card with a small dungeon on it), adventure seeds, and others. Dungeons and adventure seeds aren't specific to TFT (and see Phil Reed's recent Kickstarter projects for dungeon and outdoor adventures), but they'd be great.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:33 PM   #7
larsdangly

A book along the lines of 'Foes' for RQ. Like 'here's a page of knights; here's a page of shop keepers; here's a page of farmers; here's a page of blood drinking orcs...'
Old 11-01-2018, 02:15 PM   #8
madhopper50

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
A book along the lines of 'Foes' for RQ. Like 'here's a page of knights; here's a page of shop keepers; here's a page of farmers; here's a page of blood drinking orcs...'
I like this idea also!!!!!!!!!!!
madhopper50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:27 AM   #9
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
Dungeons and adventure seeds aren't specific to TFT (and see Phil Reed's recent Kickstarter projects for dungeon and outdoor adventures), but they'd be great.
I had fun creating those decks. Once I get unburied, I'd like to tackle some other ideas.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:38 AM   #10
larsdangly

Cardstock hexes with exterior terrain that can be tiled to make sandbox settings. This is something the universe has been screaming for since 1975, but would pair particularly well with TFT's approach to maps and the materials used in table top play.