Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 11-27-2009, 08:11 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Is WoD the new D&D for bashing purposes?

Greetings, all!

Noticed that recently there seems to be a fashion for bashing WoD in general and VtM/VtR specifically. What's up? Just got bored of D&D-bashing and looking for a new rival?

Not exactly criticizing, but more curious.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-27-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
trooper6

Default Re: Is WoD the new D&D for bashing purposes?

WoD bashing isn't new.

WoD being the other big game on the block, one that encourages a different style of play than D&D, it is predictable that bashing would happen.

How many times have I seen this, for years and years:

D&Der: WoD is just a game for homos and girls who like to sit around and talk. It sucks!
WoD: D&D is just a game for stupid brutes who've never seen a girl in real life, only know how to bash thing with sticks, and only rollplay not roleplay. Your game sucks!

It is all very tiresome.

Last edited by trooper6; 11-27-2009 at 10:34 AM.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
D&Der: WoD is just a game for homos and girls who like to sit around and talk. It sucks!
Hey! A lot of my players are homos and girls!

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Hey! A lot of my players are homos and girls!

Bill Stoddard
Yeah, I've always been disturbed the trend of many WoD bashers to move really quickly to sexist and homophobic attacks against the game.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
Running Wolf

Quote:
Yeah, I've always been disturbed the trend of many WoD bashers to move really quickly to sexist and homophobic attacks against the game.
All I can say for the whole Emo thing is ick! Gay, straight, male, female or whatever.

As for me the difference between the two VtM seems to be just sitting around whining. D&D is just about killing and leveling. I personally think it is more the genres than anything else. But I am sure there are sci fi games that are just as bad on either of the accounts I mentioned above.
Running Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Me, too. I'm not a fan of WoD, but there's no need to bash it out of hand ... and "out of hand" is exactly how far it gets. As a result, in the early days of In Nomine, when some folks were compating it to the WoD series, I was never sure if that was supposed to be a compliment or a slam.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
Icelander

I've played several WoD/WW games. I've got nothing against the premise of many of these games.

But the mechanics! Every single experiment with these games has led to the gaming group in question abandoning the game in frustration due to arcane, inconsistent and annoying game mechanics that modelled neither the stated genre nor reality with any accuracy.

For me, WoD/WW stands as an example of a large publisher with editing, playtesting and designing standards so low as to make their games unplayable. That failure, in my books.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #8
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
I've played several WoD/WW games. I've got nothing against the premise of many of these games.

But the mechanics! Every single experiment with these games has led to the gaming group in question abandoning the game in frustration due to arcane, inconsistent and annoying game mechanics that modelled neither the stated genre nor reality with any accuracy.

For me, WoD/WW stands as an example of a large publisher with editing, playtesting and designing standards so low as to make their games unplayable. That failure, in my books.
Yes, the system is quite ugly. Patched it in both the old and the new incarnation.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
combatmedic
Banned

I played V:tM a few times- but never really got into it. It always seemed like they were trying way too hard to be trendy, edgy, and cool.

The core concept of vampires struggling to retain some shred of humanity- that's interesting, but just not my style.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #10
smurf
Banned

Quote:
WoD bashing isn't new.

WoD being the other big game on the block, one that encourages a different style of play than D&D, it is predictable that bashing would happen.

How many times have I seen this, for years and years:

WoD: D&D is just a game for stupid brutes who've never seen a girl in real life, only know how to bash thing with sticks, and only rollplay not roleplay. Your game sucks!

It is all very tiresome.
Er yeah, bigotry has been around for years too. I was trying to work out what WoD is and get confronted by this?
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d&d, d&d bashing, wod, wod bashing, world of darkness