Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 08-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
Clipper

Default Main player escapes combat leaving helper

Due to recent changes to the rules, I wanted to confirm what happens when the turn player skips out on a combat using a teleport, leaving the Helper behind.

In this thread, it was ruled that the Helper must lose the combat, taking the hit and Running Away. However, the rules that led to this ruling have recently been rewritten and no longer seem to support this opinion.

The "Where'd Those Monsters Go" box on page 8 of the rules now states:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin Quest Rules
If all of the monsters or the current player’s pawn are removed from the room, the combat is over. All “usable once only” cards used in the fight are discarded. All monster enhancer cards stay with the monster they were played on.
The bolded part used to say "all the munchkins," which supported the old ruling, as the combat wouldn't end if the Helper remained. The new rules seem to tell us exactly what to do now when the main munchkin leaves before combat ends, though. Just discard the one-shots and leave the monsters and Helper in the room without requiring the Helper to take hits or Run Away.

So, may I please ask for a reruling on this situation, taking into account the new wording?

Last edited by Clipper; 08-05-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Main player escapes combat leaving helper

That thread is two years old. We revised the rules after that point. Therefore, that thread is now outdated.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
Clipper

Default Re: Main player escapes combat leaving helper

Thanks, Andrew. Nice to get confirmation as I think that might be the most recent thread on the issue, and I hadn't noticed the difference in the rules until this morning.

I actually thought the online one was the same version as mine as the date on the Rules page matches the date of my printing (3rd), so I didn't even realise that there was any errata to check out.

Edit: Ah, I see it was also addressed in the what to include in the FAQ thread more recently than the older thread. I hadn't read through that one in a while.

Last edited by Clipper; 08-05-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote