Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-19-2018, 02:39 PM   #1
MiB1213

Default Disengaged figures

I’m just reading the demo pdf of TFT Melee and confused about something. If you have two figures facing the same direction with one behind the the other (let’s say A behind B)

I understand that B is engaged while A is not. The options for disengaged figures gives option b (charge attack). Would this be the option that figure A needs to choose to strike B with a readied melee weapon? Thus getting the +4 for striking from the rear?
Old 06-19-2018, 02:44 PM   #2
Melichor

Default Re: Disengaged figures

Is this at the beginning of the turn?
Or after movement?
Melichor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:49 PM   #3
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiB1213 View Post
I’m just reading the demo pdf of TFT Melee and confused about something. If you have two figures facing the same direction with one behind the the other (let’s say A behind B)

I understand that B is engaged while A is not. The options for disengaged figures gives option b (charge attack). Would this be the option that figure A needs to choose to strike B with a readied melee weapon? Thus getting the +4 for striking from the rear?
You could either Attack or Charge Attack, unless your opponent moves first and turns to engage you, in which case you could not Charge Attack. The +4 DX for attacking from the rear is assigned based on the facing situation at the time you do the attack, not at the start of the turn. If at that point your opponent is still facing directly away from you, then yes you'd get a +4.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:43 PM   #4
MiB1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
You could either Attack or Charge Attack, unless your opponent moves first and turns to engage you, in which case you could not Charge Attack. The +4 DX for attacking from the rear is assigned based on the facing situation at the time you do the attack, not at the start of the turn. If at that point your opponent is still facing directly away from you, then yes you'd get a +4.
When reading the list of available options I don’t see any just attack for disengaged figures. Is that to imply you can simply make a melee attack if another figure is in on of your three Front hexes?
Old 06-19-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
MiB1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melichor View Post
Is this at the beginning of the turn?
Or after movement?
Let’s assume A goes first in movement.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:59 PM   #6
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Let’s assume A goes first in movement.
Hi MiB1213.
In GURPS, a person moves and takes his action. Then the next person (who might be on the same team, or not), moves and takes his action.

In TFT, each SIDE rolls for initiative, and all of one side moves, then all of the other side moves. Then attacks go off, from highest DX to lowest.

So both sides will move before anyone attacks.

So in the example, A's side has won initiative. If A has a pole weapon, he might want to back up and do a charge attack, to do the bonus damage. If he just has a sword, he can stand still and attack.

The back up and charge option above, would require him to take the CHARGE ATTACK option. If he stands still he is taking the SHIFT AND ATTACK option.

Then it is B's turn to move. He turns around (perhaps shifting one hex). He takes the SHIFT AND ATTACK option.

Since B had a chance to turn around, A does not get the +4 DX for attacking a rear hex.

After everyone else has finished moving, A and B will attack each other in DX order.

Hope this helps!

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:50 PM   #7
Chris Rice

Demo PDF?!?! I must have missed that!
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:27 PM   #8
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Demo PDF?!?! I must have missed that!
Hi everyone, Chris.
Steve Jackson has the Men in Black program (MiB). These are people who demo Steve Jackson games, tell stores what is up with SJG, teach people how to play, etc. The MiB are being primed to start demoing TFT.

If SJG is interested in recruiting some new MiB to promote TFT, with people in this forum, perhaps a MiB recruitment thread could be started?

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:47 PM   #9
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi everyone, Chris.
Steve Jackson has the Men in Black program (MiB). These are people who demo Steve Jackson games, tell stores what is up with SJG, teach people how to play, etc. The MiB are being primed to start demoing TFT.

If SJG is interested in recruiting some new MiB to promote TFT, with people in this forum, perhaps a MiB recruitment thread could be started?

Warm regards, Rick.
Ah, ok. I thought I'd missed a thread. Thanks Rick
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:51 PM   #10
tomc

Quote:
When reading the list of available options I don’t see any just attack for disengaged figures. Is that to imply you can simply make a melee attack if another figure is in on of your three Front hexes?
I think "engaged" in this case is taken to mean "having a target in one of your three front hexes", even if they aren't facing you. While this is not really "engaged", it's not a stretch to just whack someone at +4DX if you're standing behind them. :)

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
melee attack, tft