Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-14-2017, 05:44 PM   #11
malloyd

Default Re: Increased Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Cat View Post
Could you please provide an example? I'm not sure how exactly this would work based on your description.
Say you want to ignore range penalties for Bow skill. Bows mostly have a 1/2D range of x15, for PC STs that's 150 to 300 yards, which are -11 and -13 respectively. Call it -12. For an additional 48 points you could always buy your Bow skill up 12 points and completely negate that, therefore if I charged you 48 points for ignoring range with your Bow, you certainly wouldn't be getting a discount that is massively unfair to the other players.

We can quibble about how much of a limitation "only for negating range penalties" is relative to full skill, but frankly for missile weapons it's quite a lot of it. Still you are probably shooting at close range more often than really long. I could perhaps be argued down the multiplying by 3 instead, for 36 points.

My main goal here is to get a ballpark number I can use to arbitrarily price the advantage, rather than trying to calculate it from the enhancements and limitations system, which isn't going to yield a number that is any fairer. We spend a lot of time on the forum rules lawyering trait costs, and it's a sometimes entertaining mini-game in itself, but I rarely bother for actual use in a game. Anything that needs more than two or three *standard* modifiers is far too likely to yield nonsense, never mind if I need custom ones.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:58 PM   #12
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warden View Post
How would you go about creating an advantage that allows a character to negate the penalties for a ranged weapon attack?
Increased skill, only to negate range penalties. Increased skill is normally 4/level; based on Accessible that's probably -10-20%; if we're being generous and want simple numbers, go with -25% so 3/level (to negate penalties with a single skill).
Old 08-15-2017, 01:20 AM   #13
Warden

It's quite surprising that GURPS doesn't have rules for reducing/removing penalties for ranged attacks with archaic weapons like bows, crossbows etc.

I quite like your suggestion Anthony, it's nice and simple and doesn't require looking up anything.
Warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:19 AM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warden View Post
It's quite surprising that GURPS doesn't have rules for reducing/removing penalties for ranged attacks with archaic weapons like bows, crossbows etc.
It does: Zen Archery.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:58 AM   #15
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Does anybody else think Zen Archery has a terrible mechanic? Double the number of die rolls, and add some additional math - divide by 3 isn't *hard* but it's not one of the divisions that most people can do without thinking like 2 or 10.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:32 AM   #16
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Does anybody else think Zen Archery has a terrible mechanic? Double the number of die rolls, and add some additional math - divide by 3 isn't *hard* but it's not one of the divisions that most people can do without thinking like 2 or 10.
Not really, no. You'll end up making fewer dice rolls to actually take out an opponent in the range bracket where it's useful, assuming you have Zen Archery at a high enough skill level that you can cope with some penalties. And dividing integers in the range 3-30 by 3 is much quicker than general division, at least for me.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:17 AM   #17
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Does anybody else think Zen Archery has a terrible mechanic?
Yes. Most of the TBaM skills are atrocious.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:25 AM   #18
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Yes. Most of the TBaM skills are atrocious.
They are their own system, worthy of being compared with any magic system.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:37 AM   #19
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Back to Telescopic Vision, it looks like the more "canonical" way to do it, particularly not needing TBaM, and it's an Advantage.

It'd be much slower to use than malloyd's version though, requiring enough seconds of Aim to gain the added Accuracy.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:47 AM   #20
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
They are their own system, worthy of being compared with any magic system.
A magic system with 15 spells.