Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-11-2023, 03:24 PM   #1
thom

Default Modify Grace spell - ONLY for attacks?

I'm wondering how it would reduce the FP cost for Grace, if it only increased the subject's DX for attacks? So we'd strip out the affecting Basic Speed as well as DX rolls and DX-based skills.

How much would that reduce the FP cost to cast: -1 per point? More?

thom
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 07:11 PM   #2
JulianLW

Default Re: Modify Grace spell - ONLY for attacks?

Here's one possible recreation of the Grace spell as a power:

DX+1 (20 points) + Move +.75 (15 points) modified by:

Costs 4 FP -40% (I'm using PK's House Rule that Costs Fatigue is worth -10%/level),
Mana Sensitive -10%,
Nuisance Effect: Prerequisite Chain -5%,
Nuisance Effect: Counts as a Spell On -5%,
Requires Gestures -10%,
Requires Magic Words -10%,
Requires IQ Roll -10%)

... for a final cost of 3.5, which we round up to 4, and say it's a skill at IQ level.

If you decide that all melee skills rolls could be a talent worth 10/level (which is consistent with the "Master at Arms" talent from Delvers to Grow) and eliminate the Basic Speed component, how much of a discount on the FP cost would that get you?

Master at Arms 1 (Costs 1 FP -10%, Mana Sensitive -10%, Nuisance Effect: Prerequisite Chain -5%, Nuisance Effect: Counts as a Spell On -5%, Requires Gestures -10%, Requires Magic Words -10%, Requires IQ Roll -10%) [4]

So a reasonable reduction for a modified Grace spell that only added to attack rolls would be 1 FP per minute per level of bonus and - given that you're not including the parry and block bonus that should come with every other level of Master at Arms - half that to maintain.

Anyway, that's how I'd do it.
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 09:54 AM   #3
thom

Thanks for that workup; I came up with a similar concept for the cleric as a power (instead of a spell). Then he tells me he really wants it as a spell! Which is why I posted here. I'm strongly leaning towards going with a 3 FP/point for the spell...

thom
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 10:24 AM   #4
JulianLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Thanks for that workup; I came up with a similar concept for the cleric as a power (instead of a spell). Then he tells me he really wants it as a spell! Which is why I posted here. I'm strongly leaning towards going with a 3 FP/point for the spell...

thom
I do think 3 FP per level is overpriced, even for a one minute duration. This spell will take a second to cast, like any buff, and affect at most a couple dozen rolls for a very long GURPS combat - more likely only a dozen per casting - and count as a spell on.

Compare casting this spell to using Extra Effort, which can give +2 to an active defense for 1 FP, or +2 or +1/die damage per attack for 1 FP - immediately. This one spell cast at level 1 would be worth a missed attack and 3 uses of extra effort. I don't know if a trade like that would really be worth it. At 2 FP, maybe.
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 10:28 AM   #5
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
I'm wondering how it would reduce the FP cost for Grace, if it only increased the subject's DX for attacks? So we'd strip out the affecting Basic Speed as well as DX rolls and DX-based skills.
Stripping out the basic speed is mechanically OK, but almost all attacks are rolled against DX-based skills. So wording this a bit more precisely would help. Affecting active defences would also appeal.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attack, defense, grace, magic