Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 03-13-2023, 10:10 AM   #1521
Hide

Default Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
Well... Consider making a Reaction Roll?
Oh I noticed that if we need a skill then it should be either Gathika or Vic.

But Bain has a +5 in reaction rolls.
Old 03-14-2023, 03:23 AM   #1522
ajardoor

That's good enough. You got them to stay and talk rather than flee.
Old 03-14-2023, 08:33 AM   #1523
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Oh I noticed that if we need a skill then it should be either Gathika or Vic.

But Bain has a +5 in reaction rolls.
Dang. Telrith has fast-talk at 12, but he also has substantial reaction penalties from selfish and stubborn.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 10:29 AM   #1524
Hide

Quote:
Bain seems to have the goblin women relaxed, but they are clearly unnerved by the prospect of lethal violence. They are home-makers, taking care of the young and helping the male warriors living in this cave.

They agree to spread word of the party's stand against the evil magicians. They note that there are perhaps tribes of other species in this canyon who would fight against the undead. They are not sure where, though.

The goblin women asks if the party would parley with their king?

Vic figures that the goblins in this cave have set up security at the cave's opening (and maybe knows a secret passage or two), which keeps them safe from the necromancer threat.
I am working on this, sounds like a great (awesome) breakthrough.
Old 03-16-2023, 02:28 PM   #1525
ajardoor

These women and children are non-combatants, I don't know why you guys are so stubborn about recruiting them as backup warriors.
Old 03-16-2023, 02:54 PM   #1526
vicious Violence

Quote:
These women and children are non-combatants, I don't know why you guys are so stubborn about recruiting them as backup warriors.
We're trying to not kill everything and see how that works out. They could also run away and trap us/activate something I guess.
vicious Violence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 03:03 PM   #1527
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I mean, our first exposure to them WAS them throwing spears at us.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 10:30 AM   #1528
Hide

Quote:
That message is clear, although there are a few points to highlight here:

You have introduced the idea that the goblinoids are somewhat civilized beings along the trope of having just a handful of warriors and vulnerable children and women present in their group. This is something we just discovered both OOC and IC.

Personally, I think this was a good twist, while most at the Keep just wimp about their situation, finding out that the monsters could actually fight for their people introduced the possibility of having them ally with/join the Riddle of Steel.

This looked very, very cool to me. “The story just evolved”, that is what I referred to when I said this was something big. It gave me the impression we really progressed. If you think about it, we originally wanted to reach the lizardmen but the situation made us shift our attention to other matters (the necromancer); we also tried to light the fire of self-preservation in the people we saved before (but they didn’t want to cooperate).

I guess we all are taking into consideration that killing the goblinoid children and women would go against the spirit of a heroic setting. And while the idea is tempting for at least half the party (LOL), we are not the kind of PCs that raid villages (without a reason).

I think it was made clear IC that the characters understand the situation, and have decided not to kill the creatures for now. However, it would be hard not wiping the goblinoids if they keep directly or indirectly attacking us. So, we decided to talk. OF course, we have limited abilities to negotiate and you know it, but we already made some good rolls.

That said, the main intention is having a liaison to guide us inside of the caves, and to help us avoid fighting more goblinoids, especially because their situation and our objectives align.

Their women seem capable for fighting, but they also have warriors and we offered healing them.

I think we all would love the idea of having Uruk-hai in our party, but all we need is a reliable guide able to keep up with us and of defending themself. On top of that, you’ve seen the party cares for each other.
Old 03-18-2023, 04:47 AM   #1529
ajardoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I mean, our first exposure to them WAS them throwing spears at us.
Different group of women, different species (those women were hobgoblins and these women are goblins), and the previous group were much more high-strung and haunted by an attempted murder of their whole tribe. The goblins are noticeably less militarized.
Old 03-18-2023, 10:22 PM   #1530
Hide

Quote:
The goblins maul over the request for the secret passages... (OC: One of you needs to make a Reaction Roll or roll Diplomacy. The penalty to both is a basic -5, but Cultural Adaptability and other social bonuses help.)
All of this is OOC, right? Vicious was whispering to us and we have not talked to them about this. For the roll, Bain got a 13 (including the +5 from his bonuses and -5 for the penalty you have stated).

Hide: 3D6*→*13(5 +3 +5)

Tags
dfrpg, dungeon fantasy, fantasy, magic, martial arts