Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-27-2017, 02:08 AM   #41
dcarson

Default Re: The Dungeon Fantasy box set is great! But now I hunger for more...

After the End could make a nice box set. You have to go and glue down all the knobs so it isn't so generic to make it out of the box playable, using Reign of Steel as the End makes sense. A worse Car Wars could work also. Either one go through Ultratech and extract a coherent set of equipment. For Reign of Steel I'd say add stuff from Biotech and Psionics to give humans a chance to win at least some fights but again a coherent subset not here are all the possible things for any type of campaign.

Monster Hunters is probably the easiest after Dungeon Fantasy however, it has lots of coherent material already.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:12 AM   #42
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadDomain View Post

Four-colour Super is currently an obvious pop culture darling. Its setting requirement is very low and it has fairly well understood tropes and strong, various distinctions between different character types. It is also a genre where the GURPS rules clearly underperform, which is either a barrier or an opportunity.

I have mentioned this thread to Robert M. Schroeck, who wrote GURPS I.S.T.. I've also mentioned that anything about supers is blue-sky thinking, but one never knows whether he'd be interested in writing a box set.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:27 AM   #43
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I think most people (at least, most who would even consider buying a SF RPG box set) are at least aware of a few mainstream examples near each extreme: Star Wars and Star Trek on one end, 2001 and The Martian on the other. A lot of them may be largely unaware that there's a full spectrum in between, and examples outside of those bounds.
What a boxed set SF RPG probably needs is a setting where there's a plausible reason for a lot of individual and small-group combat, as opposed to spaceships blowing each other away. A game that centred on Marine boarding parties, pirates infiltrating and/or boarding, and so on, might do well.

Last edited by johndallman; 08-27-2017 at 09:33 AM. Reason: clarify
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:06 AM   #44
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
I just finished running a gurps supers/Reign of Steel crossover with psionic aliens added to the mix as well and it all seemed to work fine. PC point value was around the 700-800 point mark. Is it higher values where the problems creep in?
After I wrote GURPS Supers, I ran a test campaign for it with a budget of, I think, 1500 or 1600 points. It seemed to work well for the most part. The big problem wasn't strength, which was manageable, but telepathic mind control. I finally started giving all the high-end supervillains, including the really dim one who was sort of a Sicilian version of the Hulk, Will 18-20 so that they couldn't just be given time outs.

But if I were going to do a supers-type campaign supplement, it wouldn't be classic four color. In fact, it would take off from Monster Hunters, with a team of higher end monster hunters with powers of their own operating in secret, for the classic "don't frighten the public" reasons, probably. The character concepts that would fit that would be much more manageable.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:08 PM   #45
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I think most people (at least, most who would even consider buying a SF RPG box set) are at least aware of a few mainstream examples near each extreme: Star Wars and Star Trek on one end, 2001 and The Martian on the other. A lot of them may be largely unaware that there's a full spectrum in between, and examples outside of those bounds.
What I'm saying is that, to most potential buyers of such a box, who are not already on these forums, Star Wars and Star Trek mark the MIDDLE of the spectrum, not an end.

Most gamers outside of these forums right now are looking at the newely released Starfinder, as pretty well middle ground for Science Fiction (space) gaming.

The Martian isn't even on the spectrum as most people wont' really consider it that much of a fiction.

That's kind of my point. Sure you can have all the other stuff, but if you want to expand GURPS sales with a boxed set, it really helps to look at what most people consider the middle, even if that perceived middle is viewed to be anything but middle ground by some here.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:38 PM   #46
Refplace

Personally I would be likely to buy any of these and my preference is for Supers.
Space Opera sounds good but I think the setting issue is a big barrier there.
However I think the best seller would likely be a Monster Hunter based line.
Its been n active genre for a longtime now and does not seem like its fading anytime soon. Settings would be easy as your using modern day and really just need origin mythologies and backstory. And it does not even have to be that detailed.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:50 PM   #47
revshafer

Would like to see an Action set, with Monster Hunter as its main example.

Otherwise, I want DFRPG to sell out quickly. It'd be nice if this product was rewarded by the market. As much as I'd like to see some more boxed sets, unless this one sells out, we got nothin'.
revshafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:31 PM   #48
Kelly Pedersen

I'd argue that Space Opera actually doesn't need a specific setting. What it needs is probably a bit more discussion of setting elements then, say, Dungeon Fantasy. But both space opera and space exploration genres are the home of things like single-biome planets and single-culture species. Complex worldbuilding isn't necessary. (There are, of course, some space opera settings that actually do have some pretty intricate worldbuilding - Dune springs to mind - but those, I think, can be left to the individual GM who wants to get complex).

What the book should have, IMO, is some discussion of the various setting elements that commonly go into these genres, and how to use them. Is there an Evil Empire? If so, are the PCs rebels living under its shadow? Or do they live in a still-free society that opposes the Empire? And so on. Make sure to include solid game mechanical details in this kind of discussion ("the Empire is CR 5, which means the following penalties apply to the following skills").

Once you have that kind of detail, I think it's reasonably easy for a GM to assemble the pieces, as it were, to build their own setting, customized to the type of game they want to run.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:40 PM   #49
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post

What the book should have, IMO, is some discussion of the various setting elements that commonly go into these genres, and how to use them. Is there an Evil Empire? If so, are the PCs rebels living under its shadow? Or do they live in a still-free society that opposes the Empire? And so on. Make sure to include solid game mechanical details in this kind of discussion ("the Empire is CR 5, which means the following penalties apply to the following skills").

Once you have that kind of detail, I think it's reasonably easy for a GM to assemble the pieces, as it were, to build their own setting, customized to the type of game they want to run.
I think that works for a Space Opera Genre book but goes against the goal of keeping a boxed set simple and play out of the box. You may be right about being able to skip many setting elements and just have some races and tech but that still colors the setting.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:15 PM   #50
Boomerang

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
After I wrote GURPS Supers, I ran a test campaign for it with a budget of, I think, 1500 or 1600 points. It seemed to work well for the most part. The big problem wasn't strength, which was manageable, but telepathic mind control. I finally started giving all the high-end supervillains, including the really dim one who was sort of a Sicilian version of the Hulk, Will 18-20 so that they couldn't just be given time outs.

But if I were going to do a supers-type campaign supplement, it wouldn't be classic four color. In fact, it would take off from Monster Hunters, with a team of higher end monster hunters with powers of their own operating in secret, for the classic "don't frighten the public" reasons, probably. The character concepts that would fit that would be much more manageable.
I didn't find strength to be an issue for the 700-800 character point range. Although I must admit I preferred the 3e enhanced strength costs for really strong characters.

I saw that mind control could be a potential issue so I decided that all telepathy and mind control type powers would have the psionic limitation so that it was reasonably cost effective to be immune to them (psi static, self only).

Tags
dfrpg, entry products