Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-09-2017, 10:55 PM   #1
Lone Jackal

Default GM "PCs" and a potential workaround.

So, I'm very new to GURPS. In fact, I've never played. I'd really like to, but it seems the only way I'll get to is if I GM for my friends for a while to teach them GURPS and hope that eventually one of them will want to GM sometimes too.

Don't get me wrong, GMing seems like it could also be very rewarding. The problem I'm facing is that I want to improve my characters through gameplay like a PC, rather than just arbitrarily build them perfectly how I want them as GM (like a NPC.) However, it seems to be generally considered "bad form" for a GM to run a PC (for good reason.)

There are probably some solutions or workarounds to this and I welcome everyone's ideas, but I also wanted to post one of my own. Keep in mind that I'm envisioning a Dungeon Fantasy type game when applying this idea. Dark Souls fans will find this familiar:

Throughout a campaign, the PCs no doubt come into contact with several NPCs. Some may have their own story arcs which intersect with the PCs adventures at various points. If the players complete a certain task, which they may or may not even be aware of, it allows the NPC to advance along their own arc as well. The PCs will not know whether or not they succeeded until they see that NPC again, or come across his/her body or belongings (souls fans, think Greirat or the onion knight.)

Anyways, I'm sure that's not a new idea on its own. My "new" idea is to allow players (IF THEY CHOOSE) to summon a "phantom" version of the NPC to help with a certain task, as long as the "real" NPC hasn't hit a roadblock in his/her arc. Why not just have the NPC pop in, you say? Well, phantoms can't talk, so they can't really give away secrets. Phantoms also can be killed while leaving the "real" NPC unharmed; The phantom is essentially just "unsummoned." This could allow the GM the freedom to relentlessly attack his own NPC as he would any other PC without fear of killing off his own character. Also, a phantom earns "exp" or points for its "real" self. This allows the GM's character to advance along with the party so he can step in if that glorious day ever comes when someone else is willing to GM.

So, TL;DR: Allowing phantoms to be summoned if their own story arc has been advanced by the players encourages players to interact with NPCs. They can only be summoned when the GM says. Phantoms are silent, and can be killed without permanent consequences to the real version of the NPC, so the GM is free to be ruthless to his own character. They also earn points along with the party, which satisfies the GM's wish to gradually build a character through gameplay like a player would with a PC.

I'm curious to know what you all think of this, and if you've come up with anything similar.

PS: A mistreated or evil NPC may invade the battlefield as a hostile phantom instead. I think a lot of GMs could have fun with that as well.
Lone Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:37 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: GM "PCs" and a potential workaround.

It would probably be simpler just to encourage the PC's to take Allies, or even just give them Allies as rewards.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:11 AM   #3
mhd

This sounds very over the top video-gamey to me (and weird even in that genre), what kind of in-world justification is there for phantom clones of random people, how are they summoned and why would a GM need freedom to "relentlessly attack" NPCs?
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:09 AM   #4
hal

In my "one on one" games that I run with FANTASY GROUNDS 2, I always work it such that the player has his "Murphy" - an ally that is always in his corner, helping him out where possible, not only in game play per se, but offering advice (both good and bad) and having his back as it were.

The player has problems at times with social situations, and his "Murphy" often shows him the way, or tells him what he did wrong, or what have you. So the "Murphy" isn't there to act like a PC per se, but act as a personality on site, which is what an NPC is when you get right down to it. An NPC ally is someone who is SUPPOSED to have your back. So if your player character(s) are being social duds, have the "Murphy" say "hey, I'm going out to the club, want to come with?" or, if the player(s) are sticks in the mud, the Murphy goes out without them. Then they get to see the results of his "fun" the next morning, or get phone calls from girls who want to see him again, or what have you. The "Murphy" usually has a decent IQ, usually has Charisma, is a fun loving guy, and is perceptive at a higher than normal level. This way, when, as GM, I have to roll versus IQ to think of something, or roll versus Perception to be aware of something, Murphy MIGHT be useful.

So, I second MHD's comment. Give the player character's Allies.

Note: Allies are NOT someone who are self-less people who only do what the player characters want. Allies come with their own baggage, their own goals, and their own personality. Sometimes the Allies actively CAUSE problems for the player character(s) and sometimes they're just normal acquaintances.

One on One GM'ing has its own challenges, which is why I use the "Murphy" tool (first Murphy character was named Murphy Mulligan - a play on the phrase Mulligan in Golf as it were). In almost all of the subsequent campaigns, Murphy has usually been of Irish Descent for some odd reason. ;)

Ah well. That's just me and how I handle things...
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:30 AM   #5
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Jackal View Post
. This allows the GM's character to advance along with the party so he can step in if that glorious day ever comes when someone else is willing to GM.

This sound utterly disastrous. Do not ever have a GMPC in your games. You will be disappointed, your players will be disappointed. If you have a GMPC in your game it is a sign that you don't really want to be GMing and hence probably shouldn't be GMing that game.

There are troupe style games where players might step out and GM for a session on a rotating basis (their PC is offscreen during this time). Others might be able to give you advice on how this works in practice.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:24 AM   #6
Lone Jackal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhd View Post
This sounds very over the top video-gamey to me (and weird even in that genre), what kind of in-world justification is there for phantom clones of random people, how are they summoned and why would a GM need freedom to "relentlessly attack" NPCs?
It is video gamey. My rationale for "relentlessly attacking" the NPCs is to avoid allegations of favoritism.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:26 AM   #7
Lone Jackal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
This sound utterly disastrous. Do not ever have a GMPC in your games. You will be disappointed, your players will be disappointed. If you have a GMPC in your game it is a sign that you don't really want to be GMing and hence probably shouldn't be GMing that game.

There are troupe style games where players might step out and GM for a session on a rotating basis (their PC is offscreen during this time). Others might be able to give you advice on how this works in practice.
I was worried this was the case. Too bad. Thanks for keeping me from wasting my time with a bad plan everyone.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:37 AM   #8
Lone Jackal

I will look into allies. I appreciate the comments; as I said I'm very new so I'm trying to work out what will and won't work for my group of people.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:40 AM   #9
starslayer

I am not sure about the 'never have a gmpc' situation. I have been playing in a group with rotating GM duties and gmpcs for over a decade.

One thing we have done though, we all generally have PC add, so we have lots of characters. The story is written/designed for the players, but they get a summoning scroll which allows them to summon one of the GMs pcs to assist.

We also generally do a flat rate of about 1cp/HR so no confusion about rewarding your own PC, and if there is unique loot describe the theme of it and get the players to decide what your PC gets.

Every now and again the summoned gmpc is more harm than good, and every now and again they are a quest solved instantly, but in so doing they become part of the player choice and decision making.

We did not use to do this, but we generally play very small attendance games (1-3 players) and we constantly finding situations where it was difficult to advance plot because the PC lacked supporting skills.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:11 AM   #10
Lone Jackal

Interesting. I have to say this sounds pretty similar to what I posted above, but less complicated. And it works well for your group? My group would be small too. Do you always have the same GM or take turns? Who controls the summoned PC, the GM or one of the players?