Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-02-2007, 11:47 PM   #111
Thoom

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031
Iron Man

Identity: Secret.
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with no criminal record.
Other Aliases: None.
Place of Birth: Long Island, New York.
Marital Status: Single.
Known Relatives: Howard (father, deceased), Maria (mother, deceased), Morgan (cousin).
Group Affiliation: Avengers.
Base of Operations: Silicon Valley, California.
History: Anthony Stark, only son of industrialist Howard Stark, discovered his technical prowess at a very young age. By the age of 21, he had graduated M.I.T. with multiple Masters of Engineering degrees.

During the early days of the War on Terrorism, Tony enlisted in the United States Army, and was assigned to a unit in Afghanistan. While there, he made friends with helicopter pilot Jim Rhodes. Tony told Rhodes that if he ever got tired of the military that he would be more than willing to hire him (see Rhodes, Jim).

During an intense firefight, a grenade exploded near him, sending him back to the base in a stretcher. While the military surgeons were able to repair most of the damage, a piece of shrapnel had embedded itself in Tony's heart. He was told that he had perhaps only weeks to live.

Tony was given an honorable medical discharge from the Army and shipped back to the States. Finding out that his father had died while he was overseas (Tony's mother had died years before), Tony was determined to keep the family company, Stark Industries, out of his corrupt cousin Morgan's hands. For this reason, he designed the chest-plate of his first Iron Man armor, which replaced his heart's functions while he waited for a suitable replacement to become available.

Morgan Stark wasn't thrilled to learn that Tony had devised a means of cheating death. Using her underworld contacts, she placed a price on Tony's head. Tony first learned of this when Stark Industries security personnel apprehended an assassin who had infiltrated the SI electronics plant he was touring. Using the chest-piece he'd devised as a base, Tony built the first suit of Iron Man armors for his own protection, and as a means of tracking down the person responsible for this price on his head. Upon learning that Morgan Stark was responsible, Tony, as Iron Man, was responsible for bringing her to justice. The assassination contracts were quickly removed once Morgan's assets were seized, preventing her from paying.

Publicly, Iron Man is Stark's personal bodyguard. Only Jim Rhodes, who has recently accepted Tony's offer of employment, is aware that Stark and Iron Man are one and the same. While most of his time is spent in California, Iron Man is a founding member of the Avengers, who are based in New York.
Height: 6' 1"
Weight: 225 lbs
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Black
Strength Level: Tony Stark possesses the normal human strength of a man his age, height, and build who engages in moderate regular exercise. The Iron Man suit he wears increases his strength to enable him to lift (press) around 70 tons.
Known Superhuman Powers: None.
Other Abilities: Tony Stark is a noted inventor of ultra-tech weaponry and electronics.
Disabilities: Tony Stark's heart has been damaged by shrapnel, and he must wear the inner-most layer of the Iron Man suit at all times. This unit works off his body's bioelectricity to pump the blood instead of his heart, which has since stopped. He is currently on the waiting list for a transplant.
Paraphernalia: Iron Man wears a red and silver battlesuit, whose abilities are detailed below.

450 points
Attributes:
ST 10 [0]; DX 12 [40]; IQ 14 [80]; HT 10 [10].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-2/1d; BL 20; HP 10 [0]; Will 12 [-10]; Per 12 [-10]; FP 10 [0]; Basic Speed 5.5 [0]; Basic Move 5 [0].
Languages: Arabic (Broken/Illiterate) [1]; English (Native) [0].
Advantages: Appearance (Attractive) [4]; Artificer 4 [40]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Enhanced Dodge 2 [30]; Gadgeteer [25]; High TL 2 [10]; Independent Income 20 [20]; Security Clearance 2 [10]; Signature Gear: Iron Man Battlesuit [32]; Status 3 [5]*; Wealth (Multimillionaire 1) [75].
Disadvantages: Alcoholism [-15]; Code of Honor (Gentleman's) [-10]; Compulsive Spending (12) [-5]; Electrical [-20]; Enemy (Morgan Stark) (Equal in Power) (9) [-10]; Intolerance (Muslims) [-5]; Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) [-10]; Secret Identity (Utter Rejection) [-10]; Workaholic [-5]; Wounded [-5].
Quirks: Attentive [-1]; Flirt [-1]; Nervous Stomach [-1]; Proud [-1].
Skills: Administration (A) IQ [2] – 14; Aerobatics (H) DX+3 [12] – 14; Armoury/TL10 (Battlesuits) (A) IQ+5 [4] – 19†; Armoury/TL10 (Force Shields) (A) IQ+5 [4] – 19†; Armoury/TL10 (Heavy Weapons) (A) IQ+5 [4] – 19†; Armoury/TL10 (Missile Weapons) (A) IQ+5 [4] – 19†; Armoury/TL10 (Small Arms) (A) IQ+5 [4] – 19†; Battlesuit/TL10 (A) DX+8 [32] – 20; Brawling (E) DX+2 [4] – 14; Carousing (E) HT+2 [4] – 12; Connoisseur (Wine) (A) IQ [2] – 14; Current Events/TL8 (High Culture) (E) IQ+1 [2] – 15; Driving/TL8 (Tracked) (A) DX-1 [1] – 11; Electronics Operation/TL10 (Electronic Warfare) (A) IQ [2] – 14; Electronics Operation/TL10 (Scientific) (A) IQ [2] – 14; Electronics Operation/TL10 (Security) (A) IQ [2] – 14; Electronics Operation/TL10 (Sensors) (A) IQ [2] – 14; Electronics Repair/TL10 (Communications) (A) IQ+5 [4] – 19†; Electronics Repair/TL10 (Computers) (A) IQ+5 [4] – 19†; Electronics Repair/TL10 (Electronic Warfare) (A) IQ+5 [4] – 19†; Electronics Repair/TL10 (Scientific) (A) IQ+5 [4] – 19†; Electronics Repair/TL10 (Security) (A) IQ+5 [4] – 19†; Electronics Repair/TL10 (Sensors) (A) IQ+5 [4] – 19†; Engineer/TL10 (Aerospace) (H) IQ+4 [4] – 18†; Engineer/TL10 (Battlesuits) (H) IQ+4 [4] – 18†; Engineer/TL10 (Fuel Cell) (H) IQ+4 [4] – 18†; Engineer/TL10 (Mecha) (H) IQ+4 [4] – 18†; Engineer/TL10 (Microtechnology) (H) IQ+4 [4] – 18†; Engineer/TL10 (Rockets) (H) IQ+4 [4] – 18†; Gunner/TL10 (Beams) (E) DX+2 [4] – 14; Guns/TL8 (Rifle) (E) DX [1] – 12; Heraldry (Business Logos) (E) IQ [1] – 14; Hiking (A) HT [2] – 10; Innate Attack (Beams) (E) DX+2 [4] – 14; Mathematics/TL10 (Applied) (H) IQ [4] – 14; Mechanic/TL10 (Fuel Cell) (A) IQ+5 [4] – 19†; Mechanic/TL10 (Micromachines) (A) IQ+5 [4] – 19†; Mechanic/TL10 (Robotics) (A) IQ+5 [4] – 19†; Mechanic/TL10 (Rockets) (A) IQ+5 [4] – 19†; Navigation/TL8 (Land) (A) IQ [2] – 14; Piloting/TL8 (Light Airplane) (A) DX [2] – 12; Rapier Sport (A) DX [2] – 12; Savoir-Faire (High Society) (E) IQ+1 [2] – 15; Soldier/TL8 (A) IQ-1 [1] – 13; Survival (Desert) (A) Per [2] – 12; Wrestling (A) DX+1 [4] – 13.

* Includes +2 from Wealth.
† Includes +4 from Artificer

Iron Man's Battlesuit
Iron Man's Battlesuit grants the following abilities:
  • Lifting ST +285 (70 ton range)
  • Striking ST +285
  • Damage Resistance 140/100 *
  • Super-Jump 3
  • Flight
  • Enhanced Move (Air) 6 (Mach 2)
  • Invisibility (Visual Spectrum Only; Switchable)
  • Obscure (Radar)
  • Radar (Multi-Mode)
* First number indicates DR of the torso, the second number is the DR of the extremities.

With helmet in place, the suit also grants:
  • Doesn't Breathe (12 hours)
  • Enhanced Tracking 9
  • Hyperspectral Vision
  • Protected Hearing
  • Protected Vision
  • Protected Smell
  • Sealed
  • Vacuum Support
Built-in weapons include:
  • Repulsor: 5d (5) burn sur, Acc 6, Range 10/100, RoF 2, Shots N/A
  • Pulsor: 1d (5) burn sur per 20 yards, max 7d (5) burn sur, Acc 6, Range 140, Min Range 20, RoF 2, Shots N/A.
  • Omni-Beam: 10d (10) burn, Acc 3, Range 200/2000, RoF 1, Shots N/A. The Omni-Beam can be adjusted to be a Cone 10 yards wide at 1/2D range. It can also double as a spotlight in both visible and infrared wavelengths.
I am 3 days new to game, and I am in a 300 point campaign, I want to modify this so I can play this, so to get to the point, how do you make the armor? I mean what method? Sorry if question is stupid. If this makes sense, gm will let us take 150 in disadvantages.

Also I am slow it shows a 450 point build but it adds up < I know I am doing something horribly wrong> much much higher. Can you also break that down to me <use small words :p>

Thank you

Last edited by Thoom; 06-03-2007 at 02:30 AM.
Thoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:17 AM   #112
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoom
I am 3 days new to game, and I am in a 300 point campaign, I want to modify this so I can play this, so to get to the point, how do you make the armor? I mean what method? Sorry if question is stupid. If this makes sense, gm will let us take 150 in disadvantages.

Also I am slow it shows a 450 point build but it adds up < I know I am doing something horribly wrong> much much higher. Can you also break that down to me
I'll leave it to tbrock to explain in detail, but the broad answer is that he figured out a dollar value for it and bought it as equipment with Signature Gear.

As a Friendly™ Reminder: Edit your quotes so that they only include the pertinent bits of the post you are replying to. In this case, including just the details of the suit (or even just the highlighted subsection title, Iron Man's Battlesuit) would have probably been enough to show what you were interested in. It makes your post more readable, and thus more likely to draw a response.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:04 PM   #113
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoom

Also I am slow it shows a 450 point build but it adds up < I know I am doing something horribly wrong> much much higher. Can you also break that down to me <use small words :p>

Thank you
Shrubbery is correct in the means I used to price the armor.

For making the armor, I started with the Battlesuit on page B285, increased the ST mods for the setting, adjusted DR as appropriate for TL10 (Stark's own personal TL), and figured out a few weapons for it. The repulsors I modeled after blasters, and scaled the other weapons appropriately. Because the armor can fly and is armed, I doubled the price of the base armor before factoring in the "Higher TL equipment in lower TL settings" multiplication, giving me a price. From that price, I divided by $10,000 (half the starting cash for TL8) to get the SigGear cost.

And now tht I'm redoing the process in my head, I discovered that I didn't add enough levels of the higher TL equipment rule; it should really be Signature Gear: Iron Man Battlesuit [64].

You think this SigGear build is rough, Mjolner has hit 480 points or so (roughly $4.8 million) due to the price of various enchantments.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 06-03-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:37 PM   #114
Irioth

I seize the opportunity of a thread like this to ask a question:

How would you stat, in terms of Gurps disadvantages, a powerful superhuman or psi PC with a metahuman radical supremacist/activist worldview and personality, just like Magneto (the anti-hero, less villainous versions) ??

I was thinking of Intolerance (normals) (-10), Fanaticism (metahuman supremacy) (-15) OR Obsession (defend superhumans' rights by any means necessary) (-10), Sense of Duty (metahumans) (-10), Code of Honor (gentleman's) (-10), Pacifism (cannot harm innocents) (-10).

Your ideas ??
Irioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:22 PM   #115
Thoom

Awesome thank you for the breakdown and advice on posting
Thoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:57 PM   #116
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irioth
I seize the opportunity of a thread like this to ask a question:

How would you stat, in terms of Gurps disadvantages, a powerful superhuman or psi PC with a metahuman radical supremacist/activist worldview and personality, just like Magneto (the anti-hero, less villainous versions) ??

I was thinking of Intolerance (normals) (-10), Fanaticism (metahuman supremacy) (-15) OR Obsession (defend superhumans' rights by any means necessary) (-10), Sense of Duty (metahumans) (-10), Code of Honor (gentleman's) (-10), Pacifism (cannot harm innocents) (-10).

Your ideas ??
I think you've got the package pretty well thought out. It might even be possible to take both the Fanaticism and the Obsession, but I'm not certain of that.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:46 AM   #117
Captain-Captain

Default Hyperion Question

In GURPS, Radiation is pretty realistic and I gave Hyperion a decent Rad Tolerance advantage.

In Marvel, however, radiation does Affliction type damage, and I'm wondering if it'd be appropriate to add Immunity to Radiation to counter his suddenly becoming a mutant or green skinned and subject to berserking.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:04 AM   #118
Irioth

Quote:
I think you've got the package pretty well thought out.
Thanks.

On further reflection, I was thinking it might also even be possible to take the "Defend metahumans' rights by any means necessary" as a Vow to represent a metahuman supremacist radical activist/revolutionary who is deadly serious about it but doesn't obsess about it all the time or to the point of fanaticism. I'm uncertain whether it would be a Major or Great Vow. Your opinion ?

Or maybe (for a truly ethical character that combines traditional crime-busting vigilante activities, likely from a "noblesse oblige" feeling, with mutant supremacist revolutionary activity) expand the Sense of Duty and the Vow to "metahumans and innocents", to represent one that would protect (not only spare) innocent normals that are benevolent or neutral to mutants but be ruthless on criminals, bigot normals or abusive authorities, and the like.

There are two topics that leave me somewhat perplexed: fighting with someone you have a Sense of Duty to, or someone who is doing "serious harm" (but not threat of death) to you or people you are sworn to protect. Tentatively, I suppose that it might be possible for such a character to fight with other metahumans if necessary but with reluctance and trying to avoid, serious, lasting harm except in extreme self-defense. I also think that the canon definition of P:CHI may really be too restrictive if it would stop a character from using deadly force on someone that is threatening "serious harm" (but not death) on the subject or people he is sworn to protect. I mean, stuff like mutilation, rape, torture, severe assault, destroying all of one's possessions, or life imprisonment do seem to belong in any sensible definition of "serious harm", even if they do not entail death.

Quote:
It might even be possible to take both the Fanaticism and the Obsession, but I'm not certain of that.
I dunno, it would be the case of thematically similar or partially overlapping Disadvantages, like Berserk and Bloodlust. Some do allow it, others do not. Someone else has opinion to offer ?

Last edited by Irioth; 06-04-2007 at 08:32 AM.
Irioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #119
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Thing

Attributes: ST 315 [3,050; DX 12 [40]; IQ 12 [40]; HT 13 [30].
Advantages: Hard to Kill 5 [10]; Hard to Subdue 5 [10]; Immunity to Metabolic Hazards [30]
Disadvantages: Addiction (Tobacco) [-5]; No Sense of Smell/Taste [-5]
Skills: Boxing (A) DX+4 [16] – 16
Have you thought about comparing Ben's write-up to your revision of the Hulk's? Maybe you'd decide to go with extra Lifting or Striking ST, or Extra-Effort. I imagine you've taken it into account, but at the risk of needless repetition, I'll remind that HtK and HtS is less cost effective when raised so high. The Addiction looks a bit out of place in conjunction with the ItMH (and the Anosmia)... a psychological addiction, perhaps. The skill levels seem high, but that might be appropriate considering the background you gave. The high Boxing skill doesn't seem to be reflected in there, though... Is it something you just didn't mention, or a detail from the comics I'm not remembering?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:35 PM   #120
Phantasm

I'm going back to mythology on this one.
Thor

Identity: Publicly known; however, the general populace of Earth does not believe he is the actual Norse god.
Legal Status: Prince of Asgard.
Other Aliases: Siguard Jarlson, Freya (don't ask him about it).
Place of Birth: Asgard.
Marital Status: Separated.
Known Relatives: Odin (father), Jord (mother), Frigga (step-mother), Sif (wife, separated), Magni, Modi (sons), Thrud (daughter), Uller (half-brother, step-son), Balder, Bragi, Hoder, Heimdall, Vidar, (half-brothers), Loki (foster brother), Freya (adopted sister), Ve, Vili (uncles, presumed deceased). Borr (grandfather, presumably deceased), Buri (great-grandfather).
Group Affiliation: Gods of Asgard.
Base of Operations: Asgard; New York City.
History: Thor is the Norse god of thunder, one of the extradimensional beings from the realm of Asgard. He is the son of Odin, ruler of the gods, and the earth goddess Jord, who may in fact be Gaia, the embodiment of the life force of Earth (which the Asgardians call "Midgard", or "Middle-Earth") (see Asgardians, Gaia, Odin).

Thor is somewhat simple-minded. He has a rash temper, and is prone to act before thinking of the consequences. This has gotten him into trouble a number of times. His responses to threats are predicable: hit it with Mjolner.

Thor gained his uru hammer, Mjolner, as a result of his foster brother Loki's machinations (see Loki, Sif). One of Loki's pranks had gone a bit too far, and Thor's wife Sif had her golden tresses shaved off. Thor, knowing that only one person in the Nine Worlds could have dared, approached Loki with his usual level of subtlety and tact: he pummeled Loki mercilessly until Loki agreed to find a replacement of real, golden hair for Sif. Loki turned to the dwarves, who made the hair on what amounted to simply empty promises. Loki then managed to con the dwarves into attempting to outdo the golden hair; one of the prizes Loki presented to the gods was Mjolner, upon which Odin laid several enchantments and awarded to Thor. Thor was so pleased with both Sif's new hair and Mjolner that he forgave Loki. (The trickster god isn't sure which Thor loves more: Sif or Mjolner.)

At one point, Thor's hammer was stolen from him. With Loki's aid, he discovered the culprit: a storm giant from Jotunheim. Loki, being the offspring of a giant himself, was sent forth to bargain for the hammer's return. The giant said that the hammer would be returned if Freya, considered by nearly everyone as the most beautiful of goddesses, was to marry him. Freya, however, refused, despite Thor's pleading. On the advice of Heimdall, Thor disguised himself as Freya, and Loki disguised himself as "Freya's" handmaiden -- mostly to help maintain the charade. Disguised as such, Thor, as Freya, was welcomed to the giant's home. During the celebration, the hammer was placed in "her" hands; Thor then slew every giant in the room. As he considers himself the epitome of Norse warrior ideals, he doesn't like to talk about this incident. At all (see Asgardians: Freya, Heimdall).

Thor is destined to die during Ragnarok, the epic battle that signifies the end of the world in Norse mythology. During the battle, Thor is to slay Jormungand (aka the Midgard Serpent), the monstrous offspring of Loki and the giantess Angrboda whose serpentine body encircles the Earth. However, after he slays the Serpent, Thor will not take more than a few steps before the Serpent's venom runs its course and kills him. Because of this knowledge, Thor is reckless in battle, taking risks that would frighten others. He has no concept of his own safety.

After the worship of the Asgardian gods faded on Earth, due to the rise of Christianity, Thor found himself growing bored. As a result, he grew even more bad tempered and sullen, to the point where Sif walked out on him, taking her son Uller, their daughter Thrud, and his sons Magni and Modi (who had a different mother) with her. As punishment for this, Odin cast a spell which shifted Thor to Earth in the guise of a mortal, Siguard Jarlson, where Thor's blue-collar ways landed him a job as a construction worker in New York City.

During a recent demolition of a building, which led to Thor, as Jarlson, being trapped in a basement and in danger of physical death, Odin dropped Mjolner into Jarlson's hands. Upon striking Mjolner against the ground, Jarlson discovered his true identity.

Since then, Thor has become a founding member of the Avengers. In addition, he has discovered that other Asgardians are also on Earth, including Loki, Sif, Heimdall, Balder, Tyr, Freyr, and Freya (see individual entries). Some, he has found to be allies; others, enemies. And some, like Sif and Loki, he's not too sure about right now.
Height: 6'.
Weight: 825 lbs.
Eyes: Blue.
Hair: Red.
Other Distinguishing Features: Thor has a piece of flint embedded in his forehead from an ancient duel. His helmet usually hides this.
Strength Level: Thor possesses superhuman strength, beyond that normally possessed by Asgardians. Thor can lift (press) over 50 tons. Thor is not the strongest Asgardian; that honor belongs to his son Magni, who is naturally able to lift (press) 100 tons.
Known Superhuman Powers: In addition to his superhuman strength, Thor possesses the other attributes possessed by the Asgardian people gods. He is able to withstand a great deal of punishment, is immune to all terrestrial diseases, and ages at a very slow rate. Despite popular opinion, neither he nor his warhammer, Mjolner, are able to create lightning or affect the weather; his entire purpose in life is to slay giants, not affect the weather. He gets his role as god of thunder from the sound Mjolner makes when striking the giants, which sounds a lot like thunder.
Other Abilities: Thor is a skilled warrior, specializing in the use of his enchanted warhammer.
Weapons: Thor's warhammer, Mjolner, is made from the unbreakable metal uru, which is found only in the mines of Nidavallir, the realm of the dwarves. Due to Loki's interference during its creation, the handle is shorter than usual; Thor has added a strap to the end of the hammer to aid in its use. When spun by its strap, the hammer is capable of deflecting bullets.

Mjolner's main enchantment is its ability to return to its owner when thrown. Thor occasionally throws the hammer and immediately grabs the strap as it leaves his hand, enabling him to "fly". Other enchantments increase its accuracy, damage, and its ability to parry blows. Odin has since given Mjolner one additional enchantment: it is able to transform Thor into his mortal identity, Siguard Jarlson, and back again when struck on the ground. This enchantment will not cause Mjolner to grant Thor's powers to anyone who is not Thor, should someone else strike the hammer on the ground.

Contrary to past depictions, anyone with the right amount of strength can lift Mjolner.
Paraphernalia: Thor occasionally uses an enchanted belt which doubles his already prodigious strength, increasing his strength into the Class 100 range, able to lift (press) in excess of 100 tons.

Continued next post

Last edited by Phantasm; 07-21-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men