Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-15-2018, 04:07 AM   #11
Benway

Default Re: [IW] Our campaign and our version of The Secret

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Ah, now I'm with you. My Infnite Cabal campaign uses a different selection of IW canon. The worlds that are at the same date as Infinity's Homeline are the only ones where a Projector will work, and there are only four of them: Centrum, Homeline, Shikaku-Mon and The Unity, which I added. Blip was a Cabal attempt to create a new one, which was spoiled when one of the PCs unintentionally blew it up. To be fair to him, it was in a fragile state, but he was well aware of that.
Wow. This is terrific stuff, and nearly eight years of it. At this juncture I can only dream of running a campaign of this scope and depth. My players are really good, bless their hearts, but this is like Umberto Eco to their Michael Moorcock. I'm working on it, though.

In a campaign like Infinite Cabal, I can see how the projector limit would serve well.

I need to read Cabal again.

Intrigued by The Unity. Feel like elucidating or should I just read the site?

Last edited by Benway; 06-15-2018 at 04:22 AM. Reason: to avoid creating a new post
Benway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:06 AM   #12
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benway View Post
Intrigued by The Unity. Feel like elucidating or should I just read the site?
The Unity diverged in the 27th century BC, when Imhotep was the first to discover psionics. Over the following millennium or so, citizens of that world explored the Infinite Worlds of the period, and learned a great many things. They don't travel much outside their own world now, and live as part of a transcendent whole-world psionic gestalt. They can't explain what's so wonderful about this in the languages of ordinary humans; they're perfectly willing to have outsiders join the gestalt, but warn that they'll be very different afterwards. None of the PCs have taken up this offer.

They are the archetypical world of bald-headed post-humans living in elegant domes in beautiful landscapes. They were inspired by some of the SF that John W Campbell wrote as "Don A Stuart", notably Twilight and Forgetfulness.

The PCs have fairly strong evidence that there are only four "leading-edge" worlds at present. They have the testimony of a dragon, known as "Flamefang," who lives on the astral plane and appears to be a Cabal Lodge in his own right, that the number has varied over time, but they did not enquire into details.

Incidentally, is your username a William Burroughs reference? Burroughs may be a useful source if you want even more fractured realities.

Last edited by johndallman; 06-15-2018 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Burroughs
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:19 AM   #13
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
My players are really good, bless their hearts, but this is like Umberto Eco to their Michael Moorcock.
I should point out that the log is written by one of the characters. I will sometimes ask for particular names or facts to be recorded, and correct misunderstandings that would be obvious to the characters' senses, but the interpretation is by the character, and the writing by her player.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:18 AM   #14
RogerBW

Quote:
I should point out that the log is written by one of the characters. I will sometimes ask for particular names or facts to be recorded, and correct misunderstandings that would be obvious to the characters' senses, but the interpretation is by the character, and the writing by her player.
Nothing is factually incorrect (in terms of recording campaign events), but Nell is more interested in her own doings than in other people's.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:49 AM   #15
Benway

crunchy goodness snipped

Quote:
Incidentally, is your username a William Burroughs reference? Burroughs may be a useful source if you want even more fractured realities.
Indeed it is. Benway is the party NPC. I was listening to a Burroughs class lecture at Naropa while I was statting him up. A seems a good fit for a former organlegger/wetware hacker. The username was off the top, not being able to think of anything else. I've read most everything by WSB. Partial to the Cities of the Red Night cycle.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:01 AM   #16
malloyd

Quote:
They can't explain what's so wonderful about this in the languages of ordinary humans; they're perfectly willing to have outsiders join the gestalt, but warn that they'll be very different afterwards. None of the PCs have taken up this offer.
The best line I've ever heard anybody use to describe something of the sort was "It's like a permanent feeling of, well, your language doesn't have a word. But it's a wonderful emotion, like joy or amazement or agony." We didn't take that offer either.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:02 AM   #17
Benway

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
Nothing is factually incorrect (in terms of recording campaign events), but Nell is more interested in her own doings than in other people's.
Yeah, I figured that at first glance, but I'm still compelled to read it through. I really like what I skimmed.

This has actually prompted me to create a log for our campaign. After we parted with two of the players, we retconned the plot so the whole story is still relatively fresh in my mind.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:43 AM   #18
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
This has actually prompted me to create a log for our campaign. After we parted with two of the players, we retconned the plot so the whole story is still relatively fresh in my mind.
A log is really helpful with a long and complex campaign. Roger does an excellent job of this one, and for his own campaigns.

Tags
infinite worlds, the secret