Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 02-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
Ekearney

Default Ties for Winning

I was playing the original Munchkin game as an elf who gains a level for each monster that they help kill. I was enthralled to fight by a bard. We were both level 9 and killed the three monsters. Since we both gained the three levels we were both level 10 at the same time. Who wins?
Ekearney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
Ronnke

Default Re: Ties for Winning

You must kill a monster to reach Level 10.

So in this case the elf was just assisting, thus does not go to 10th level.
Ronnke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #3
Bampop

Elves gain a level for an assist. It was a tie game.
MiB #3282, Palm Bay, FL
Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Burn in Hell!, Revolution!, Castellan, Chez Geek, OGRE DE, Chupacabra, Nanuk
mib3282@gmail.com
Bampop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:15 AM   #4
Clipper

Agreed. You both won; equally. The other player/s lost. The elf did get that level by helping to kill a creature, so it qualifies as the winning level just as much as the player in combat.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:40 AM   #5
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnke View Post
You must kill a monster to reach Level 10.

So in this case the elf was just assisting, thus does not go to 10th level.
It's a Level gained by killing, so the Elf can, in fact, get the winning Level by helping.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
mib1325

I believe he could not have actually used his enthrall ability to gain the winning level. I will have to look at the card again, but I believe it is stated on the card. So, if it was allowed, everyone else lost, you two tied for the win. Normally though, he would not have been able to use the power to win the game.
mib1325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mib1325 View Post
I believe he could not have actually used his enthrall ability to gain the winning level. I will have to look at the card again, but I believe it is stated on the card. So, if it was allowed, everyone else lost, you two tied for the win. Normally though, he would not have been able to use the power to win the game.
Oh yeah, the thingies are all available without having to find the card, thankfully. We all missed noticing that Enthrall had issues here.

So yeah, he either shouldn't have been able to use the enthrall ability or he can use it, but can only reach level 9 with it... If the former, then it was a cheating move that won the game for the both players. If the latter, then Ekearney won outright.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
njals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post

So yeah, he either shouldn't have been able to use the enthrall ability or he can use it, but can only reach level 9 with it... If the former, then it was a cheating move that won the game for the both players. If the latter, then Ekearney won outright.
Well then the elf should of been the sole winner and the bard would of had a vey important munchkinly lesson
njals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
MunchkinMan

Missed the Bard wrinkle, so here's the proper official answer:

The Elf couldn't have been enthralled in the first place. Had he been enthralled, before the win was on the line for the Bard, he still could have won the game, but if suddenly the Bard had the chance to win the game as well, the enthralled Elf leaves the combat outright. The Bard can still get help, but has to do it based on his real personality, not some Svengali like ability. . .

In truth, my answer was to a very specific statement that needed to be corrected, and not so much focused on the original question, so I'm giving myself a pass on feeling bad about missing the Bard/enthrall thing.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #10
goodbunny2000

I didn't realize that a Bard couldn't use Enthrall for the win. My cards (older edition) don't say anything about it, and the change log doesn't seem to mention it either. Was this added to the newer edition cards?

To be honest that would be a pretty lame change in my opinion Enthrall is not exactly the Kneepads of Allure.

Tags
are ties possible