Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 10-20-2018, 10:06 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Alternative damage system

Edged weapons subtract twice the value of non-magical armor and shields from the damage they do. ("Good for cutting flesh, not metal.")

Non-edged weapons do half damage after penetrating all protections, round down. ("Bashing or poking small holes, not slicing off body parts.")

Finely made swords and some other weapons are in both categories. Declare poke or slash before rolling to hit.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:52 PM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: Alternative damage system

This is more or less what GURPS does, and that system feels like a very good simulator for damage and armor
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:29 PM   #3
Skarg

Yep. Very close to what GURPS does. We started wanting more detail, realism and options in TFT about 1986 and started redesigning... then GURPS appeared, and we mainly switched to using it and/or taking what we liked best from both.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:21 PM   #4
Jack O'All Trades

Axes in both categories?

I find it interesting that there seems to be some 'anti-armor' abilities built into RAW (axe/mace category prefers to add positive modifiers to dice damage first rather than go up a die and get negative modifiers) but it seems somewhat arbitrarily applied. ST 12 is 2D6 either way, and it seems you could add AP just by changing the rule that +3 = +1D6 for axes and maces?

How would this apply to bullets (guns, also slings) vs arrows and quarrels. I almost think bows should just do damage as in RAW, as they should probably pierce better than slashing and poking swords in general, but are piercing and cutting weapons in a way that a mace is certainly not.

I think if I used this (and I honestly might after playing RAW for a bit after the new rules come) I would want to adjust weapon damage upwards by making armor only protect certain body parts, and then use the crippling hits/aimed shots rule.
Jack O'All Trades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:30 PM   #5
hcobb

Something like a pike-ax would get to choose between thrust and cut, even without fine metal.