Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-06-2018, 01:01 AM   #1
Yami Fowl

Default [Psionic Powers] Long-term usage of Technique

Hi everyone!
I'd like some help clarifying the usage of techniques over long periods of time, especifically the "Secondary Senses" on Telecontrol. The idea is a character that usually possessing a companion puppet. He will have a considerate pool of energy to maintain it, but I am unsure about the situation below.

Since Telecontrol doesn't have a "time limit" and afaik Possession is an instantaneous ability (once it is done, it's done for good) does the character needs to roll every minute to retain his secondary senses?

Edit: Alternatively, it could easily fall under "Just Like Riding a Bike" (PP, p. 8), right?
DnD 3.5 on an original setting.
Planning a GURPS Sci-Fi Campaign.

Last edited by Yami Fowl; 10-06-2018 at 01:04 AM.
Yami Fowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:43 AM   #2
Hide

Default Re: [Psionic Powers] Long-term usage of Technique

Hey there,

As far as I can tell, you only spend 2 FP while executing the ability. If you look at its statistics, it is a modified version of possession, in which you don’t move to another host.

So, your real body will spend and lose FP as a normal person may, and so will the other body... but not directly due to the telecontrol.

- Hide
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:07 AM   #3
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: [Psionic Powers] Long-term usage of Technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami Fowl View Post
Since Telecontrol doesn't have a "time limit" and afaik Possession is an instantaneous ability (once it is done, it's done for good) does the character needs to roll every minute to retain his secondary senses?
Yes, they have to roll every minute, and spend 2 FP every time they do as well. "Many uses of psi techniques are instantaneous; those that are not last for one minute, after which the psi can use the psi technique again to earn another minute..." (Psionic Powers, p. 8). That's pretty unambiguous to me - Secondary Senses is not an instantaneous effect, so you've got to roll every minute to maintain it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami Fowl
Edit: Alternatively, it could easily fall under "Just Like Riding a Bike" (PP, p. 8), right?
If you have your Secondary Sense technique bought up to 15 or higher, you could use this. However, I wouldn't allow you to avoid spending the 2 FP, just avoid rolling.

Another alternative would be, as a house rule, allow any psi technique with an ongoing effect to take an extra penalty to extend the duration before they have to roll again. I'd impose a -2 penalty for 3 minutes, -4 for 10 minutes, -6 for a half-hour, -8 for an hour and a half, and -10 for 4 hours. That's basically based on the cost of Extended Duration, though I reduced the higher values a bit to fit into standard time units a bit better. Note that, even if you can do higher penalties, you would never be allowed to use the "permanent" Extended Duration. You also wouldn't be able to buy off this extended time penalty, and I'm inclined to say it costs an extra 1 FP initially.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote