Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 03-23-2014, 11:26 AM   #11
Bruno

Default Re: GCA and Half-Stat Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
for actual defaults:
It is sort of seldom that defaults appear on character sheets; the instance that comes to mind is when a character owns a weapon that they don't really know how to use.
You clearly use GCA very differently from me. :)

I put quite a few skills on my character without spending points in them specifically so I can have the defaults listed. Saves looking them up :D

Skills that the GM (or campaign book, for eg. Dungeon Fantasy/Monster Hunters) have highlighted as having special importance, or just skills that I have misc. bonuses or penalties to that I might otherwise forget. So EG all the skills affected by a Talent I have go on my character sheet, even if I don't put points in all of them. Or all the skills that get a penalty for being Ham Fisted, to remind me about the penalty and exactly where it applies.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:59 AM   #12
johndallman
Night Watchman

Likewise. I also tend to put skills that I don't have, but want to learn, on as reminders. My record is an 11 page CGA printout.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #13
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Every file that has skills would need to get a fix-up like this file. Fortunately, there are very few skills that aren't in the basic set, and most of them are just new specialties of existing skills (new Fast-Draw or specific Area Knowledge or some-such). This file should, as of now, cover 99% of things in the game in GCA, and those that aren't covered will be obvious as their type will use the old setup and be, for example, IQ/H instead of IQ/H[-1]

I did notice an error in the file I posted, but came across it as I was laying in bed last night going over the new Pyramid. Unfortunately I don't remember what the error was, so will have to re-read it and see if I can find it again.

EDIT: OK, I believe I've fixed the error I'd found and corrected it. Specifically, I'd either misread or misinterpreted the line saying what the default modifier was supposed to be for skills which don't have an attribute default; specifically I'd assigned a modifier of +0 for all skills with no attribute modifier instead of +1 for Easy, +0 for Average, and -1 for Hard & Very Hard.

http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/GCA4/HalfStatDefaults.zip
Nevermind. Reloaded GCA from the get-go, and it works great now.

Thanks!

Doug
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:39 PM   #14
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Nevermind. Reloaded GCA from the get-go, and it works great now.
Note that for existing characters you will need to Resynchronize both Skills and Skill Types in order to incorporate the changes.

I also just found another bug that crept in - for skill defaults the old file was rounding Attribute/2 up instead of down. This didn't affect skills which were not at default (i.e. that you've purchased), but did affect all calculated default levels.

There's also a few skills that did not have their defaults correctly set when I did the quick and dirty conversion, so I'm going to have to go back through all the skills that came up as having no default to correct them.

I've just uploaded another file that corrects these issues.
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/GCA4/HalfStatDefaults.zip

As for Spells, I've just realized that there is already a file in the Variant folder which changes Spells to use 5 + (IQ ÷ 2) instead of IQ as their base value. Loading that file will have the exact same effect as if I converted them to use this rule, so I see no particular reason to duplicate work. Just load both files to get the full effect on Spells.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 03-23-2014 at 03:58 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:31 PM   #15
Lord Azagthoth

Is there a way to let the basic attacks (Punch, Kick, Bite) also make use of the half-stat default.

Below is the stadnard punch from BS, where should I put the piece of code so it would also defult to half-stat? I tried to do something in the skillused() part but that part only accepts + or - (e.g., DX+1 or DX-1, but not DX/2 or DX*2).

The problem which I encounterd was when players increase their DX, at some point those basic attacks shouwed up again in the Quick View tab because these stats benefit from each DX increase while a skill only every other DX increase. For now I have patched it with DX-4 (instead of DX/2+1) for Punch and DX-6 (instead of DX/2-1) for Kick

Code:
Punch, display(no), mode(Punch), damage(_
		thr-1 + _
			@if("AD:Claws (Blunt Claws)::level" = 1 & @itemhasmod(AD:Claws (Blunt Claws), Feet Only) = 0 then @basethdice(ST:Punch) else @if("AD:Claws (Long Talons)::level" = 1 & @itemhasmod(AD:Claws (Long Talons), Feet Only) = 0 then @basethdice(ST:Punch) else 0)) + _
				@max(_
					@if(me::charskillused = "SK:Brawling" THEN @if("SK:Brawling::level" > ST:DX+1 then @basethdice(ST:Punch) ELSE 0) ELSE 0),
					@if(me::charskillused = "SK:Boxing" THEN @if("SK:Boxing::level" = ST:DX+1 then @basethdice(ST:Punch) ELSE @if("SK:Boxing::level" > ST:DX+1 then 2 * @basethdice(ST:Punch) ELSE 0)) ELSE 0),
					@if(me::charskillused = "SK:Karate" THEN @if("SK:Karate::level" = ST:DX then @basethdice(ST:Punch) ELSE @if("SK:Karate::level" > ST:DX then 2 * @basethdice(ST:Punch) ELSE 0)) ELSE 0)_
				)_
		), damtype(_
					$if("AD:Claws (Sharp Claws)::level" = 1 & @itemhasmod(AD:Claws (Sharp Claws), Feet Only) = 0 THEN "cut" ELSE $if("AD:Claws (Talons)::level" = 1  & @itemhasmod(AD:Claws (Talons), Feet Only) = 0 THEN "cut/imp" ELSE $if("AD:Claws (Long Talons)::level" = 1  & @itemhasmod(AD:Claws (Long Talons), Feet Only) = 0 THEN "cut/imp" ELSE "cr")))_
				), reach(C), parry(0), skillused(ST:DX-4, SK:Brawling, SK:Boxing, SK:Karate), mods(Punch/Kick),
	damagebasedon(ST:Punch),
	reachbasedon(ST:One Arm Reach),
	basevalue(ST:One Arm Striking ST)

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:07 AM   #16
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

There's a couple issues going on here; first is that that Punch "defaults" to DX and Kick to DX-2. Taking a quick look at the article it appears that these should properly be (DX/2)+5 and (DX/2)+3, respectively, but there are issues beyond that I hadn't noticed...

The damage bonus wasn't correctly updated for Boxing, Brawling, and Karate and the Weapon Master Damage Bonus. It's going to take some thinking to make sure those are updated correctly.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:42 PM   #17
Lord Azagthoth

I have a work-around for this problem.

I added the skills Natural Attack (Bite), Natural Attack (Kick), etc., and in the attributes the defaults instead of the DX-default it refers to the appropriate Natural Attack.

The Natural Attack skill has the Hide(yes) added so it won't show on the character sheet.

I did the same for Innate Attacks. Instead of ST:DX and ST:Will it defaults to Innate Attack (DX) or Innate Attack (Will), also with the Hide(yes) added to it.

To make sure, every player has it, I added them all to the Racial Templates.

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Old 05-22-2018, 08:31 PM   #18
Lord Azagthoth

Managed to make half-stat defaults work for spells.

Defines new attributes, e.g., Alter

I defined a new technique-like stat under [SKILLTYPES] but with the points cost of a skill (named it Force/E, Force/A, Force/H, and Force/VH instead of Tech/A and Tech/H). This with the already defined halfstat skilltypes for Force Sensitive, Alter, Control, and Sense in the same way as the normal attributes.

Under skills I put the defaults. Example: Default (Alter), Alter/A[+0], needs(), default(Alter + me::defmod), defmod(-@int(0.5 + ST:Alter/2)+@MIN(@INT(ST:Alter/2),@MAX(0,ST:Alter-ST:RuleOf::score))+0), page(TF?), cat(Force Skills), hide(yes)

Under spells I use: Force skill name, type(Force/A), default("SK:Default (Alter)" + 0), upto(prereq + n), needs("SK:Default (Alter)"), ... and the rest of the normal spell definition.

Now I can use spells at default (at 0 CP cost) and using half the attribute value in the same way as with normal skills.

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG