Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-11-2018, 01:01 PM   #1
Devil_Dante

Default Unkillable adv and weak spot (DF campaign)

Hi! Need a little bit of help to create a monster.
what I am looking for, is to rule an unkillable monster who dies when reaches - 10HP (as for unkillable 1) but can be killed faster if you can destroy its weak points.
In my world, demons have generally 5 hearts, so, if you can manage to destroy them (via piercing and impaling attack, or thrusting sword attacks), the demon can die.

Now, Achille's won't work.
The goal is to make possible to inflict major wounds (accumulated wounds) to these hearts and when all five are wounded, the demon can roll to stay alive as normal, and die at - 5HP(instead of - 10HP as for unkillable).

The creature will have both regeneration and regrowth, but the hearths will regenerate slower than the rest of its body.

On top of this, should be hard to spot these weak points (instead to hit them at - 3 as normal, I was thinking at - 4/-5) and only when every wounded heart is healed to its maximum health (1/2 or 1/3 of the total HP) will be considered "healed".

Any suggestion?
Devil_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:27 PM   #2
Plane

Default Re: Unkillable adv and weak spot (DF campaign)

You could design the hearts as Gadget limitations, B116-117. They would be Unique -25% Breakable SM-4 -15% giving you a baseline of -40% if you choose to give them a DR of 26 or higher. If you give them a mere DR 2 (like a human skull) you get another -20% for a total of -60%.

I don't know a way to price gadgets as only being targetable by certain attacks like eyes/vitals though, I think you could do that by buying limited DR for it like you would any other hit location.

If you had to destroy 2 gadgets to end a limitation, that would be "Either/Or Limitations" where you multiply the %, 0.4x0.4=0.16 or 0.6x0.6=0.36. If you do this FIVE times you're not going to get much of a discount...

The idea of "hitting this other thing also hurts me" would be reflected in buying a Vulnerability, you ignore the base damage but apply the extra damage to you instead of the original target. Precedent being how boiled fat damage hurts Wendigo spirits in addition to their possessed bodies. So this way, whenever your gadget is targeted and damaged, you take the same damage.

B483 is used to determine "Damage to Objects" including how much HP the hearts should have.

Gadgets don't heal, they have to be repaired, but GM chooses the skill, so I would say you should choose a medical skill to repair damage to the hearts, in this case.

Since a Gadget is technically something other than you, for your own regeneration to effect it I think you'd need to take a limited enhancement "Affects Others, One Thing Only" on it.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #3
Anthony

For an NPC, you can just declare it so. For a player, it's a custom limitation, but not a very large one.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:48 AM   #4
Devil_Dante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
You could design the hearts as Gadget limitations, B116-117. They would be Unique -25% Breakable SM-4 -15% giving you a baseline of -40% if you choose to give them a DR of 26 or higher. If you give them a mere DR 2 (like a human skull) you get another -20% for a total of -60%.

I don't know a way to price gadgets as only being targetable by certain attacks like eyes/vitals though, I think you could do that by buying limited DR for it like you would any other hit location.
This sounds a good suggestion. I think i will use the same DR of the NPC

Quote:
If you had to destroy 2 gadgets to end a limitation, that would be "Either/Or Limitations" where you multiply the %, 0.4x0.4=0.16 or 0.6x0.6=0.36. If you do this FIVE times you're not going to get much of a discount...
Didn't know this limitation, but could fit my purpose (even if is like less than 1%)

Quote:
The idea of "hitting this other thing also hurts me" would be reflected in buying a Vulnerability, you ignore the base damage but apply the extra damage to you instead of the original target. Precedent being how boiled fat damage hurts Wendigo spirits in addition to their possessed bodies. So this way, whenever your gadget is targeted and damaged, you take the same damage.
Interesting idea. Can be for example "vulnerability 2x" and half of the damage is inflicted to the heart, and the other half is inflicted to the "body". Thus, i was looking something like "if all 5 hearths are destroyed, unkillable won't work no more" (even if, damage wise, i supppose, is more efficient to hit the body till the destruction). That's the crucial part

Quote:
B483 is used to determine "Damage to Objects" including how much HP the hearts should have.
i was thin king about a third of the body's HP

Quote:
Gadgets don't heal, they have to be repaired, but GM chooses the skill, so I would say you should choose a medical skill to repair damage to the hearts, in this case.

Since a Gadget is technically something other than you, for your own regeneration to effect it I think you'd need to take a limited enhancement "Affects Others, One Thing Only" on it.
Nice suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
For an NPC, you can just declare it so. For a player, it's a custom limitation, but not a very large one.
Yes, of course, but i want to rule it, you know, for a mental exercise :D
Old 11-12-2018, 07:28 PM   #5
Plane

Actually your accessibility discount to AO would be a bit less than the -80% for "one thing only" because you want your regen to affect all 5 hears, not sure what % that would be, maybe -60% to the AO enhancement?
Old 11-13-2018, 08:27 AM   #6
Devil_Dante

-60% seems better, but i have a doubt: i know they are "gadgets" but shoulnd't they have an own "regeneration"?
it costs a lot in this way, but seems right
Old 11-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #7
Tinman

What you are looking for is almost identical to the Peshkali (DF-2 p.25) where it can't be killed unless you first cripple it's 6 arms. Check out the build in DF-2.
Tinman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #8
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Dante View Post
-60% seems better, but i have a doubt: i know they are "gadgets" but shoulnd't they have an own "regeneration"?
it costs a lot in this way, but seems right
As gadgets, they won't benefit from any of the demon's personal defenses. As a normal weak point it's probably around -5%.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:54 PM   #9
Devil_Dante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
What you are looking for is almost identical to the Peshkali (DF-2 p.25) where it can't be killed unless you first cripple it's 6 arms. Check out the build in DF-2.
well, is pretty simple in that way: Supernatural durability.
Ain't bad indeed. It needs something around, but nice catch! thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
As gadgets, they won't benefit from any of the demon's personal defenses. As a normal weak point it's probably around -5%.
Indeed, every heart should need its own regeneration, a personal DR and such, because the demon's don't work
Old 11-13-2018, 08:13 PM   #10
Plane

"Affects Others" lets your Regeneration extend to touch, which should include your equipment...

Although since Regeneration may assume you don't have the "Unhealing" disadvantage (which I think gadgets have by default) you might need something like "Not Unhealing: Affects Others" to counteract that first before your regeneration could help.

Since the hearts are stored internally you might want a "Payload" to reflect your chest cavity so they benefit from the cover DR of your chest.