Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 08-07-2018, 09:14 AM   #1
xIBNxDukemode

Default Wandering Monster Stoned Golem

This has been a hot topic when we play always giving way to heated arguments. I wanted to ask someone to maybe see if this viewpoint was not looked at because I did read the FAQ and saw that the Stoned Golem Wandering Monster was considered useless. The wandering monster states: Play this card, with a Monster from your hand, when someone (including you!) is in combat. Your monster joins the one already fighting - add their Levels. If the character(s) must flee, resolve the Run Away attempts separately, in the order the victim chooses. The key words I look at are "joins the one already fighting" and "add their Levels." It joined another monster already in combat and bad stuff still applies. The words on the card for the Stoned Golem are "You may choose whether to fight the Stoned Golem or just wave, walk past and let him keep his treasure." I consider this as a means for strictly entering combat. Wandering Monster adds levels together. As for cards that say they won't pursue - They still enter the combat and add levels but if you are low level then the bad stuff won't apply due to not being pursued. To me, this is the only logical reasoning because it is stating exactly what is on the card. There is a rule already stated for the Wandering Monster Tongue Demon from the worldofmunchkin.com below:

Q. One of my opponents added to Wandering Monster that has a "before combat" effect (eg, the Tongue Demon makes you discard an Item before combat). Since I'm already in combat, do I still have to do it?
A. No. You lucked out this time. (We reeeeeeally wanted to say yes, because we're munchkins, too, but that leads to timing issues.) However, rules that say "When this monster enters combat" do take effect.

What I stated above follows the flow of this rule. Since you are already in combat, you don't have to discard an item. Since you are already in combat the golem is adding his levels to the main monster.
xIBNxDukemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:27 AM   #2
Mister Ed

Default Re: Wandering Monster Stoned Golem

It has been established that the Stoned Golem can be waved away at ANY point in the combat, not just the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
The Stoned Golem says you can choose to ignore it. There is absolutely no statement on the card that gives you a specific window for when you could choose to ignore it. So, if someone makes it too difficult to beat, you can just ignore it.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote