Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-22-2017, 03:15 PM   #1
b-dog

Default Dying undead

I am curious about ideas for dying undead. The concept is that being undead is an unnatural state and it must be maintained by some sort of energy source. Vampires need blood to be able remain in the world of the living and maybe ghosts need some of connection to the material world to remain active so I was think that the other material undead need something from the world to sustain them. I was thinking of the demilich in the Tomb of Horrors where the lich was once a great power but over time even he began to age and slowly begin to die until only his skull and dust remained and his consciousness roamed other planes of existence. So I was thinking about undead like wights, zombies and others that are slowing dying over time. What ideas do you have?
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:30 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Dying undead

Are you asking how to do this sort of thing mechanically, i.e. which GURPS traits such creatures would have? Or are you just wanting more suggestions of creatures that function like this, and what they could desire?
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:57 PM   #3
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Are you asking how to do this sort of thing mechanically, i.e. which GURPS traits such creatures would have? Or are you just wanting more suggestions of creatures that function like this, and what they could desire?
More just ideas for slowly decomposing undead.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:44 PM   #4
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
More just ideas for slowly decomposing undead.
So, ideas for the fluff part, more than game mechanics?
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:29 PM   #5
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
So, ideas for the fluff part, more than game mechanics?
Yeah fluff that can later be converted into mechanics if necessary.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:20 AM   #6
Varyon

While they won't expire for want of sustenance, each of my Seven Deadly Undead feeds in a different way. To save you from looking through that:

Vampire (Pride): Blood
Wraith (Envy): Spirit/soul
Skeleton (Wrath): Death - unlike the others, who have to actively feed but don't necessarily kill their victims, skeletons passively feed off the energy released when they kill a living creature
Ghoul (Gluttony): Flesh
Ooze (Lust): Body heat
Choker (Sloth): Breath
Gaunt (Greed): Food, sort of - they feed by making their victims hungry (FP with the Starvation hazard), feeding off of their.. fullness, I guess?

For a time I also considered making the Greed undead be mummies, who would have fed by desiccating their victims rather than starving them to death, but ultimately went with the gaunts, above. In all cases, the undead can feed from nonsapient animals, but doing so is far less "filling" than going after humans and the like.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:45 AM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged

Fey supposedly faded over time from gods, to demigods, to magical bigger than life elves, to trickster winged fairies of marginal sapience.
Someone could probably co-opt that idea to undead... not just because I had an intense childhood nightmare about a 6 inch tall vampire.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:48 AM   #8
The Colonel

Don't the default versions in Magic at least nod towards this by giving the zombie a destiny to become a skeleton etc.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:26 AM   #9
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Don't the default versions in Magic at least nod towards this by giving the zombie a destiny to become a skeleton etc.
I don't know about that, but Fantasy has it as a Feature of Rotting Undead.