Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-01-2015, 11:28 PM   #1
Jürgen Hubert

Default Reprinting GURPS 4E books?

When I tried to sell someone on RPGNet on GURPS 4E, they were leery because GURPS Magic was not currently available in print and second-hand copies seem to be rather expensive.

Which made me check which of the "big" 4E books currently aren't in print/in stock at SJG:

- Bio-Tech
- High-Tech
- Infinite Worlds
- Magic
- Martial Arts
- Powers
- Thaumatology
- Ultra-Tech

These are... quite a lot of the "big system" rulebooks. Are there any plans to reprint them (again, in some cases)?

Last edited by Jürgen Hubert; 02-01-2015 at 11:49 PM.
Jürgen Hubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:23 PM   #2
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: Reprinting GURPS 4E books?

Ouch! High-Tech and Martial Arts are vaguely core'ish, given the long-standnig RPG milieu tradition of campaigns being action-adventuring-themed by default.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #3
SCAR

I sold my hardback copies of High-Tech, Magic and Ultra Tech in the last couple of years, but there was no interest in Bio-Tech or Infinite Worlds at greatly reduced price, and they'll be off to the charity shop soon. So i'm not sure there would be sufficient interest ti reprint those 2 atleast.
I'd say PDF copies and good value ereaders/tablets make physical copies generally less appealing these days, it was why I sold most of my hardbacks!
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:52 PM   #4
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
Are there any plans to reprint them (again, in some cases)?
Bet you a dollar the answer is "we have no current plans." Which doesn't mean they won't come up with different plans later, of course, but seeing as they haven't announced any reprints, so far as I recall, I wouldn't hold my breath.

It also strikes me that SJ Games is very, very comfortable with electronic publishing. The overwhelming majority of GURPS books published over the past several years never saw print and probably never will. If the person you were talking to is worried about survival of the line, he probably needn't be concerned. If the problem is PDF as a format...well, that's where GURPS lives these days.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:53 PM   #5
Nymdok

Of that list, the lack of Powers is the one that alarms me the most. Personally, I consider it more core than either high tech, Magic, or Martial Arts.

Note this is not to impugn the utility of those books in anyway. I would simply guess that Powers is of more use to more people than the others.

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:03 PM   #6
Anaraxes

And for those that must have a hardcopy, recall that SJ Games gives permission for you to print a copy of your PDFs. A POD service or decent print shop can bind it however you like, including the same style of hardcover binding used by SJ Games.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:07 PM   #7
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post

Bet you a dollar the answer is "we have no current plans."

It also strikes me that SJ Games is very, very comfortable with electronic publishing.

If the problem is PDF as a format...well, that's where GURPS lives these days.
Yes, yes, and yes. We've heard the arguments for paper and against PDF. We appreciate that they're valid. However, GURPS sales do not support the labor and expense of regular reprints, while PDF sales are strong enough to keep the line afloat, so PDF it is.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #8
camazotz

No plans for PoD yet? Because it seems to me that would be the ideal solution to the paper vs. PDF crowd.
camazotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:52 PM   #9
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by camazotz View Post
No plans for PoD yet? Because it seems to me that would be the ideal solution to the paper vs. PDF crowd.
What I vaguely remember from earlier discussions of PoD, they have plans. What they don't have is the right facilities they can work with.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:54 PM   #10
camazotz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
What I vaguely remember from earlier discussions of PoD, they have plans. What they don't have is the right facilities they can work with.
I seem to recall the same thing. Still, I'll continue to keep my hopes up that there's a possibility down the road.

Tags
lulu, print on demand