Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 04-27-2012, 03:35 AM   #471
ak_aramis

Default Re: Religion in the Third Imperium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomphis View Post
Sure ? He may be forbidden to act as a priest, but isnīt the ordination as such irrevocable ?
The clerical state is not the same as the ordination's ontological change to the soul. One who has lost the clerical state commits a mortal sin by acting as a cleric.

And yes, sex changes male-to-female count the same as becoming an eunuch.

Note that monastics may be eunuchs... but clerics may not, unless mutilated to be so against their will*. Likewise, transgender individuals might be accepted into monasteries, but they're not eligible to be ordained. And are less likely to be superiors, let alone major superiors.

-=-=-=-=-

* Some pagans would intentionally do so to early Christian Clerics, so the council made it clear that victims of such as violence were living martyrs.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:37 AM   #472
Captain Midnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
If a Hiver tries to become a cleric of an alien religon, it's clearly up to something.
If a Hiver EXISTS, it's clearly up to something.
Captain Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #473
jason taylor

Oh heck, even it's nonexistence would prove it is up to something.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:51 AM   #474
Voidstar

Does no one remember saint Elvis of Terra...
Old 05-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #475
jason taylor

I do. Legends of his mysterious visits of St Elvis were mentioned in the works on the founding of the Imperium written by the noted historian Mark Miller.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:46 AM   #476
jason taylor

Spacers versus Exposers:

By the time of the Third Imperium Zoroastrianism has made a comeback and is especially popular among Free Traders(some say because Parsis and Iranis took their mercantile traditions to the stars during the ISW era). Because of the lack of sufficient flying scavengers on some worlds and the sanitary laws of others, many have turned to spacing as a substitute. This is natural aboard ships. But it is also carried out in Starports by sending dead up into space in shuttles.

Traditionalists argue that as this means the corpses are eventually bound to disintegrate from radiation, this is an insult to Mazda whose symbol is fire. They still raise towers where they can, usually in wilderness areas, and the rich sometimes send their dead on pilgrimages to worlds known to be convenient for such funerals.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #477
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
Not in any churches in union with the Pope of Rome. NO WOMEN PRIESTS is dogmatically declared. Can't be changed. .
A collapse like that of the Long Night could certainly be used to "adjust" an institutional memory.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:02 PM   #478
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
A collapse like that of the Long Night could certainly be used to "adjust" an institutional memory.
Catholicism has a mystical side to it that I don't always get(though I often get it better then Evangelical mysticism oddly enough) and sometimes seems to follow what I can only describe(with apologies for the rude description) as "rules magic". I assume it is not intended as such but somehow it looks like that. A woman can be a teacher but in some sense Mass supposedly "won't work" unless a priest does it and someone who gives mass has to have proper qualifications one of which is to be male. I don't really understand it, but I am not a Catholic.

To me the only doctrinal issue would be "husband of one wife" in Timothy which of course would also if taken that literally disqualify celibates. And various other vaguely patriarchal passages which are rather hard to understand even by a nonfeminist and may have been culture specific according to some interpretations. Other then that I can only say that a ritual has to have rules to it and it is also irrational that Britain's ceremony of state should have to be presided by the descendant of a petty franco-scandinavian thug. But rituals are not supposed to be rational at least not in that sense.

As far as the Long Night goes, yes. I should think that there will be a different flavor on different worlds even among Churches nominally in the same bureaucratic system. For the matter of that there already are in different nations in both the Roman and the Eastern Churches. Though the latter may be a bad analogy as no Patriarch was any thing like a Pope especially sense 1453.

While were at that sort of thing, one difference that might be thought of is the liturgical language. There might for instance be a Church that holds mass in High Vilani.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:54 PM   #479
combatmedic
Banned

I'd be rather surprised if there weren't Catholic churches holding Mass in High Vilani (or some sort of Vilani, at any rate). Unless one assumes that all the Western Church has returned to Latin, then a service in the vernacular would be normal. With huge numbers of Vilani speakers to be converted...
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:59 PM   #480
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Sort of. There could be a heretical sect that calls itself "Catholic" and ordains women. That's not the same thing as the actual RCC, no matter what label this hypothetical future sect decides to call itself.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote