Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-05-2009, 07:46 AM   #1
Shrale

Default Simulating D&D Turning Undead

I know that GURPS offers a couple of spells, and of course there's the Priestly Investments, but I'm just curious (handwaves aside) how you simulate the D&D cleric's ability to turn undead in your GURPS games.

I'm almost tempted to use a AD&D1e style table based off the Undead listed in the old 3e GURPS Undead, by way of how I rank the undead in terms of power. I'm not sure groupings apply, but it does have that D&D feel :)

The spells open turning to non-priests (unless GM-fiat declares otherwise).

Anyhoo, what's your opinion or what do you use ?

Thanks

>
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Shrale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:28 AM   #2
isf

Default Re: Simulating D&D Turning Undead

True Faith with the Turning enhancement (from Powers IIRC) is the Gurps equivalent to Turn Undead (and demons and such)
Old 04-05-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrale
I know that GURPS offers a couple of spells, and of course there's the Priestly Investments, but I'm just curious (handwaves aside) how you simulate the D&D cleric's ability to turn undead in your GURPS games.

I'm almost tempted to use a AD&D1e style table based off the Undead listed in the old 3e GURPS Undead, by way of how I rank the undead in terms of power. I'm not sure groupings apply, but it does have that D&D feel :)

Thanks

>
Well GM fiat in setting up the parameters of the campaign is very important in the world of GURPS. So there is no problem really just saying that Turn/Controll Zombie/Spirit is limited to people with Power Investiture.

Of course you can just do what Dungeon Fantasy recommends if you really want a D&D sort of flavor and recommend that Priests take True Faith with the Turning enhancement (Powers pg 84). Powers also recommends Terror if you want to freak out EVERYTHING. And if you want to add the damaging aspect you could also have a linked innate attack that does a moderate amount of damage. It would kill mook undead immediately if you are using Mook rules. This would simulate a high-level D&D Priest being able to destroy and damage undead.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
b-dog

The undead I use if DF are the result of unholy magic (liches, wraiths, zombies, skeletons), an evil curse (vampires) or pure hatefulness (spectres). They use the contest of Wills against a holy cleric. But instead of using Magery for the magical powers of vampires and spectres, I use Power Investiture (Unholy) which adds to the Will roll. Liches still get Magery and are turned normally unless they become black mages and when they do their Magery scores are Black Magery and they add to their Will rolls. I also use Resistance to Good on important undead so that a super holy guy isn't able to domnate all of the bad guys.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
Kalzazz

My DM uses Religious Ritual as what to roll against and requires True Faith
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #6
Redcrow

I use True Faith and Exorcism in my games.
Redcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
SimonAce

You can also but it as a power

Innate Corrosive Attack (only vs Supernatural Icks + Will Roll to Negate) lined with Affliction Fear (only vs Supernatural Icks -0% as immunity to mind effecting does not work)
SimonAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
Mehmet
MIB

How about Terror (only against undead) with a special Resistance for "higher level" undead?

Cheerio!
Old 04-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #9
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonAce
You can also but it as a power

Innate Corrosive Attack (only vs Supernatural Icks + Will Roll to Negate) lined with Affliction Fear (only vs Supernatural Icks -0% as immunity to mind effecting does not work)
Affliction isn't the right advantage here - there is no "Fear" incapacitating condition, so you can't enhance Affliction with it. Terror is the advantage for inflicting fright on something, and you'll need +50% Cosmic on it to get around most undead/demons having immunity to Mind-Influencing Effects. I'd rate "Only on supernatural beings opposed by my god" at -30, offhand. It's definitely not common enough to be -20%, but -40% would require them to come up as opponents only 6% of the time, which seems way too low, at least for a DF-style game.
Of course, forcing a creature to make a fright check is no guarantee that it will actually run away - very few of the fright check table results actually result in the affected character fleeing. This is why I created the Panic enhancement for Terror.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:38 PM   #10
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrale

Thanks

>
As others have noted, turning is an ability that can be put onto True Faith. Personally I allow it to be added to Blessed, adjusting the cost of the modifier so it takes the same 10 pts it costs to add it to True Faith (+100% for Blessed and +50% for Very Blessed).

The Necromantic college spells that turn undead or spirits are the method NECROMANCERS use to control undead. KNOWING these spells isn't necessarily a capital crime, then again... but it definately makes the character known to have thses spells be suspected.

In Megalos, particularly New Jerusalem and Raphael, a license (1 pt perk) is required in order to learn them and the test to get the licensec is pretty extensive.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote