Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 01-01-2014, 11:28 AM   #1
MrMooky

Default More than one monster in combat question

Ok, so I was against a level 10 monster that if you have fire attacks, you automatically defeat it. I had fire, thus I would auto kill this monster. However, someone wandered in another monster, lets say this monster was also level 10. Would I be facing 20 power total, or does the 10 from the monster I can auto kill not factor in? How would this be handled?
MrMooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #2
DoomedDuck

Default Re: More than one monster in combat question

The first monster would be automatically killed and his combat strength not factored into the total (only the second monster's). If you beat the second as well, you get the levels and treasures for both. If you have to run away, however, you get nothing.
DoomedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:09 PM   #3
MrMooky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomedDuck View Post
The first monster would be automatically killed and his combat strength not factored into the total (only the second monster's). If you beat the second as well, you get the levels and treasures for both. If you have to run away, however, you get nothing.
So you're saying the first is killed BEFORE the second one even enters combat?
Old 01-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #4
Clipper

Yes. When you automatically defeat a monster, it is removed from the combat, but the combat is not over, so other players can still play cards to attempt to stop you gaining a reward.

The situation is like this:

Action: You Kick Open the Door and find the monster card.
You: This monster is automatically defeated by fire and I have a fire attack, so I automatically kill it.
Action: You set the monster card aside to indicate it is not in the combat.
You: I'm now winning this combat against nothing. Does anyone want to try to stop me?
Other player: Yes, I'll play this Wandering Monster card with a Level 10 monster.
You: The monster side now has a combat strength of 10. I wonder if I can beat it...

The battle continues against the new monster. There will be two possible results:

If you win the battle: You get levels and Treasure for both the monster you automatically killed and the wandering one.

If you lose the battle: You roll to Run Away from the wandering monster. You get nothing (neither levels nor Treasure) for killing the original one automatically.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:04 PM   #5
MrMooky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Yes. When you automatically defeat a monster, it is removed from the combat, but the combat is not over, so other players can still play cards to attempt to stop you gaining a reward.

The situation is like this:

Action: You Kick Open the Door and find the monster card.
You: This monster is automatically defeated by fire and I have a fire attack, so I automatically kill it.
Action: You set the monster card aside to indicate it is not in the combat.
You: I'm now winning this combat against nothing. Does anyone want to try to stop me?
Other player: Yes, I'll play this Wandering Monster card with a Level 10 monster.
You: The monster side now has a combat strength of 10. I wonder if I can beat it...

The battle continues against the new monster. There will be two possible results:

If you win the battle: You get levels and Treasure for both the monster you automatically killed and the wandering one.

If you lose the battle: You roll to Run Away from the wandering monster. You get nothing (neither levels nor Treasure) for killing the original one automatically.
How would it be handled if I was facing a normal lvl 10 monster, and someone wandered in the lvl 10 that insta dies to fire attacks? Would the monster that dies to fire just be removed, and I'd go about fighting just the normal lvl 10?
Old 01-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #6
DoomedDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMooky View Post
How would it be handled if I was facing a normal lvl 10 monster, and someone wandered in the lvl 10 that insta dies to fire attacks? Would the monster that dies to fire just be removed, and I'd go about fighting just the normal lvl 10?
Yes. That would not be a good situation to wander in that monster if someone was attempting to stop you.
DoomedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote