Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-23-2019, 12:09 PM   #1
mstlaurent

Default Pocket Box Issues

So, went to start with Melee this morning, with the Pocket Box edition. Is it just me, or is the pocket box really difficult to open? I spent three or four minutes trying to open it by hand, finally had to get a butter knife and wedge it into the crack and pry it open. It got closed again, tried to open it a second time, figured I would try along the short side thinking that would make it easier, and this time instead of opening the corner of the lid cracked off. Am I just completely daft and missing something obvious?
mstlaurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:12 PM   #2
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: Pocket Box Issues

Here's the video we posted in November:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2352550

Squeezing a little as you open also helps.

The second generation box (not this one, but the design for the Pocket Box campaign) is retooled to be slightly easier to open.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:24 PM   #3
larsdangly

Its a bit sticky but I had no problem opening and shutting it. I pried it open with a knife blade the first time but could open it with my fingers after that.
larsdangly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:38 PM   #4
ColBosch

Please do not pry open things with knives. I keep a "spudger" in my kitchen and another with my tools. These are thin metal devices designed specifically for prying small items apart. They are far less likely to damage whatever you're opening, and if they do break - which is rare, they bend rather than snap - they're not going to tear you open.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:08 PM   #5
mstlaurent

Well, mine is an ex-box, so my Pocket Box Edition is an even more retro Plastic Bag Edition now. LOL I guess I'll wait and see if there are any excess empty boxes on W23 after the pocket box games come out in October.
mstlaurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:19 PM   #6
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstlaurent View Post
Well, mine is an ex-box, so my Pocket Box Edition is an even more retro Plastic Bag Edition now. LOL I guess I'll wait and see if there are any excess empty boxes on W23 after the pocket box games come out in October.
Please contact kickstart@sjgames.com for support.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:22 PM   #7
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstlaurent View Post
Hey! If you backed the Pocket Box Kickstarter, you can probably order some empties on the Backerkit when they send it out! Even if you didn't back the Kickstarter, I think you can probably "pre-order" after Backerkit is up, because SJG is pretty good about setting that up!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:28 PM   #8
Cat

It does take a search for hidden door and then a good crack at it with thief's tools to get it open!

I wound up using one end of a pair of tweezers to wedge a crack open and then slide it all the way around the 3 not-hinge sides. It took a couple of passes to get the whole thing lifted a bit and could then squeeze it open.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:10 PM   #9
JLV

Hmm, surprisingly, I didn't have that much trouble. I think maybe because I wasn't looking for it to open in the middle of the side like the old ones did...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:50 AM   #10
RVA_Grandpa

It would appear to open easier if you have Mechanician or the Locksmith talent.
We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.
RVA_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote