Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-23-2019, 10:49 AM   #41
RVA_Grandpa

Default Re: Crossbows and Ready Weapon option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
So I guess what I'm trying to say is that at the end of the day, a lot of this detailed stuff just seems to me to be irrelevant to the game we're discussing. Sorry if I've offended anyone with my "rudeness" here, and believe me, it was not my intention to do so. I simply feel like we have a tendency to dive down into the weeds a bit more than we should sometimes (and yes, I'm guilty of the same thing from time to time...).
I am glad you said it. When I joined this forum 5 months ago it was with the intention of immersing myself in a game I haven't played in over 35 years. The detail some of these discussions go into can be very intimidating to the average once-a-week player.

It took me a long time to even begin to make comments. Now I am more confident that I have something to add, but at a less than Rules Lawyer level.

There are a lot of us who are just returning to TFT or getting introduced to the game for the first time. I hope the TFT forum will be a welcoming place for those players to come and discuss the game.
We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.
RVA_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:15 PM   #42
larsdangly

The best way to steer the forum in directions that interest you is to post some threads! There are a lot of people interested in the new edition, and very few of them are all that interested in the fine minutia rules lawyer stuff. So I'm sure you'll find lots of responses to more general topics.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:30 PM   #43
JLV

Man, if anything I ever say makes you in ANY way feel "unwelcome" here, please PM me immediately and TELL me that -- it is NEVER my intention to do that to anyone! There is no way I want to somehow limit or disrespect anyone joining here, whether a total newbie, or someone that hasn't played for 30 years (or even a regular). Furthermore, if anything I HAVE said contributed to your reluctance to engage, I apologize from the bottom of my heart!

Anything you say would be appreciated as a contribution to the discussion, man. Anything at all. Please don't be intimidated by any of our silly debates over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Besides, your perspective as someone who hasn't devoted thirty plus years to studying "the gospels according to TFT" would probably be fresh and new enough to make it interesting to everyone. That goes for everyone else too, and I know I speak for the vast majority of people on these forums when I say that!

We WANT new players, and old players and returning players and any other kind of players we can get!!!

Also, please don't be afraid to ask questions when some of us "grognards" wander down some "insider" track in our discussion that leaves you feeling left out or confused. If you don't want to ask us publicly, PM one of us and ask us to explain what the issue is; I think every one of the major contributors here would cheerfully explain anything you want to know about something like that (probably in more detail than you'll care to have too, knowing us...).
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:39 AM   #44
RVA_Grandpa

JVC You have never been rude to me. I was only using your comments as a jumping off point because you said it so well. I want the forum to be a place we all can enjoy, whether we are newbies or grognards. I was not criticizing any one person, but my general perception of some of the threads.

Actually the only time I got my panties in a twist was when and un-named line editor complained when I made a joke early on. I also agree with larsdangly about posting more threads dealing with more general topics. I plan to do that.

To sum it up. I'm glad to be here and I hope to contribute more over time, and I am glad there are so many long-standing players here that can answer our questions.
We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.
RVA_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote