Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-13-2023, 11:38 AM   #1
cptbutton

Default D&D Beyond - A VTT or what?

Clueless old guy question: Is "D&D Beyond" just a system-specific version of an online VTT TTRPG playing aid site like Fantasy Grounds, Roll20, etc?

Or is it something else?
Old 01-13-2023, 11:52 AM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: D&D Beyond - A VTT or what?

D&D Beyond is not a VTT. It's a site that does HTML layout of D&D books, plus a set of gaming support tools (you can create characters, look up items and monsters, and so on). It's possible to run play-by-post games on their system, and they do have things like online die rollers, but it's really not a VTT or replacement.
Old 01-13-2023, 11:59 AM   #3
sjard
Stick in the Mud

It is, however (based on sources I've talked to) currently developing a VTT component. And I believe they had a somewhat recent video of upcoming features, including a full 3D virtual environment with tabletop mechanics tied to it.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 12:04 PM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard View Post
It is, however (based on sources I've talked to) currently developing a VTT component. And I believe they had a somewhat recent video of upcoming features, including a full 3D virtual environment with tabletop mechanics tied to it.
It's WotC's official support platform, and WotC has publicly stated that they're developing a VTT. The degree to which that will be integrated with DDB is unknown, however.
Old 01-13-2023, 12:16 PM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
D&D Beyond is not a VTT. It's a site that does HTML layout of D&D books, plus a set of gaming support tools (you can create characters, look up items and monsters, and so on). It's possible to run play-by-post games on their system, and they do have things like online die rollers, but it's really not a VTT or replacement.
You can run play-by-chat games on D&D Beyond as long as you can do "theater of the mind". It actually worked pretty well on those terms.
Old 01-13-2023, 01:18 PM   #6
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Currently, it's not. But WotC have been open that they're going to add the VTT component with "D&D One" release.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 09:24 AM   #7
Anaraxes

Beyond is WotC's digital publishing platform. Rather than books or PDFs, they sell you access to the content on the site.

I recall Kromm once speculating (quite some time back) that a GURPS 5e wouldn't really be worth doing unless it could be done as an all electronic system, game rules embedded in readable/executable form for consistent access by character builders, VTTs, and so on -- including formatting into books, if physical books are desired.

Beyond has pretty much that same ambition.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 11:14 AM   #8
cptbutton

My thanks to everyone for their answers.