Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-03-2018, 11:34 AM   #41
Andreas

Default Re: Cheap Useful Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Actually, I do not think that the GM has to account for Reputation, Status, Wealth, etc. They can steal your property, usurp your titles, and ruin your name without recompense as long as it is done for the story. They are not protected traits.
The GM can also declare rocks fall, everyone dies.

That does not make it a good idea to do any of those things though. In order to consider it justified, I would generally expect more than just it being done for the story. Often that depends on the loss being fair in the sense that the players had failed to protect the traits or being very unlucky with rolls.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:39 AM   #42
shawnhcorey

Quote:
Actually, I do not think that the GM has to account for Reputation, Status, Wealth, etc. They can steal your property, usurp your titles, and ruin your name without recompense as long as it is done for the story. They are not protected traits.
In which case, I walk out. ****** GMs are worth the time.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:34 PM   #43
Donny Brook

Devastating 1 DMG Carrier Attack (IA Piercing (5/D), Area Effect 4 yds +100, RoF 7 +70%, Selective Area +20%, Ignores DR +300%, No Active Defence +300%, No Signature +20%, Min Range 5 yards -10%, Limited Uses 4 Slow reload -15%, No blunt trauma -20%, Trigger: chew a bit of wood (e.g. toothpick)-10%, Takes extra time 3 -30%, Recoil 2 -10%, Net +715% (=40.75/D)) [11]

So every three seconds on a successful roll you can automatically hit whoever you choose with RoF 7 Rcl2 for one point of piercing damage per hit within a 4 yard radius at a range from 5-100 yards while being almost impossible to identify.
Edit: I feel like there are ways this could be tweaked for specific purposes, but you get the idea.

Last edited by Donny Brook; 12-03-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:18 PM   #44
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Devastating 1 DMG Carrier Attack (IA Piercing (5/D), Area Effect 4 yds +100, RoF 7 +70%, Selective Area +20%, Ignores DR +300%, No Active Defence +300%, No Signature +20%, Min Range 5 yards -10%, Limited Uses 4 Slow reload -15%, No blunt trauma -20%, Trigger: chew a bit of wood (e.g. toothpick)-10%, Takes extra time 3 -30%, Recoil 2 -10%, Net +715% (=40.75/D)) [11]

So every three seconds on a successful roll you can automatically hit whoever you choose with RoF 7 Rcl2 for one point of piercing damage per hit within a 4 yard radius at a range from 5-100 yards while being almost impossible to identify.
Edit: I feel like there are ways this could be tweaked for specific purposes, but you get the idea.
Extra time is x2 per level, so it would take 8 seconds of "ready" to use per attack. Slow Reload is at least 3 sec per shot, so that's 12 seconds for that as well. Rcl2 negates half the usefulness of RoF, so I'd avoid that on a munchkined ability. Hardered DR will stop it pretty cheaply.

It's also not work much as a carrier attack since the % is based on the penetration modifiers.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:29 PM   #45
AlexanderHowl

A possible variation would be Toxic Attack (1 point; Cyclic, 30 daily cycles, Cured by Esoteric Medicine roll, +290%; Delay, Variable, +20%; Malediction 3, +200%; No Signature, +20%; Symptoms, 1/3 HP lost, Neurological Disorder (Mild), +45%; Symptons, 1/2 HP lost, Neurological Disorder (Mild), +70%; Symptoms, 2/3 HP lost, Neurological Disorder (Severe) +55%) [8].
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:46 PM   #46
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
Extra time is x2 per level, so it would take 8 seconds of "ready" to use per attack.
Oh right, it doubles.

Quote:
Slow Reload is at least 3 sec per shot, so that's 12 seconds for that as well.
You only have to reload after the fourth shot.

Quote:
Hardered DR will stop it pretty cheaply.
But it ignores DR.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:53 PM   #47
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
You only have to reload after the fourth shot.
Yes, sorry if that wasn't clear. It's why I put that separately. 4 shots taking 32 sec, then a 12 sec reload before doing it again.

Quote:
But it ignores DR.
I can certainly see how you would get that from reading the basic book. Some years ago there was a word of Kromm clarifying that unless you take Cosmic on top of AD/Ignores, Hardened DR will still bump it down a level per level of that enhancement.

For my own games, I play it like you have it.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:55 PM   #48
naloth

Quote:
A possible variation would be Toxic Attack (1 point; Cyclic, 30 daily cycles, Cured by Esoteric Medicine roll, +290%; Delay, Variable, +20%; Malediction 3, +200%; No Signature, +20%; Symptoms, 1/3 HP lost, Neurological Disorder (Mild), +45%; Symptons, 1/2 HP lost, Neurological Disorder (Mild), +70%; Symptoms, 2/3 HP lost, Neurological Disorder (Severe) +55%) [8].
Actually I did a variation on this for a character I ran, because it has a nastier side effect of preventing Regeneration (until the cycles end) on the cheap.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:02 PM   #49
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

A cheap world-jumping ability I give a faction in my Infinite world games:

World Walking: Jumper (Immediate Preparation Required, 1 hour -75%, Tunneling +40%, Tracking +20%, Drifting -15%, Costs 8 FP -40%) [30]

I have the following text included with it:

Walkers must meditate for at least an hour before each jump, though they usually take two. This meditation requires contact with the natural earth, be that dirt, ocean, or pool. At the end of that time, a portal opens. The spirit walker is usually carried through the portal by their companion, as they are exhausted at that point. Aotearoan jumpers find the jump extremely taxing, and their companions often have to bail them out of trouble.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:03 AM   #50
Plane

Even with No Signatre, since Knockback happens directly away from you, over time people might notice that they're being knocked back directly away from you only when within 1 yard of you, even if they can't see the attack.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote