Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-04-2018, 03:53 PM   #31
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Things players say to me

Honestly, arms are not easier to hit than torsos when it comes to swing attacks. Consider the problem in three dimensions. The torso is much thicker than both arms and much wider, so a swinging attack will be have a greater chance to hit the torso, even if the attack is coming from the side.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:57 AM   #32
Polydamas

Yes, there are other optional rules to make kicking the face harder and stamping a foot easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Honestly, arms are not easier to hit than torsos when it comes to swing attacks. Consider the problem in three dimensions. The torso is much thicker than both arms and much wider, so a swinging attack will be have a greater chance to hit the torso, even if the attack is coming from the side.
You might think so in theory, but not in practice.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:08 AM   #33
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
In practice, however, the arms are more likely to be hit in most cases because they are likely to be in the way - in melee at least, ranged combat is another beast altogether...
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:41 AM   #34
shawnhcorey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
In practice, however, the arms are more likely to be hit in most cases because they are likely to be in the way - in melee at least, ranged combat is another beast altogether...
Arms are less likely to be hit because they can be moved out of the way quickly. It's only when you aim at the head or torso would they be placed in the way to block. Legs can also be moved quickly out of the way but not as quick as arms. The hardest thing to move out of the way is your centre of mass. That's why not called-shots are considered to aimed at the torso.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:23 AM   #35
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
We do tai kwan do and its easier to hit the head than the body.
the head is easier to hit.
Barring some kind of alien species with giant heads or a human who is crawling toward you (or perhaps a very exaggerated crouch which thrusts the head forward and body back) it's hard to see how what your player is saying would be the case.

Unless he figures the arms tend to passively get in the way of the torso more than the head and you hit those instead, which can be true. It takes more effort to hold your arms up higher.

The kind who lean forward dramatically, denying the body and presenting the head tend to realize they need to guard their faces more and their bodies less so it would even out some. That would be an exhausting posture to maintain for longer fights.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:34 AM   #36
joppeknol

Back to the OP. I think the problem is made too specific. In every simulation of reality there will be things that don't fit your world view. I have my issues about some GURPS-rules as well.

Avoid that discussion in a game session. If one of those people want to GM a GURPS game, they can give a bonus to kicking the head if they feel like it. If the players can live with it, have fun.

If it's your game, you decide the rules. If you stick to vanilla GURPS, that's your prerogative (I tend to make IQ, per, will independent attributes). Discussions about the validity of those rules should come after the game or in a GURPS forum.

Thinking a RPG is bad or unplayable because it doesn't fit your worldview about kicks to the head is silly IMHO.
joppeknol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:42 PM   #37
Purple Snit

The other thing to remember is this; if the players really want to argue that heads are easier to hit, remind them that means the bad guys can hit the PC's heads more easily as well. Are they happy with trading "realism" for a higher mortality rate?
Purple Snit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:55 PM   #38
Humabout

I think the best thing I've heard from a player was Dripton's 10 minute rant about why on Earth mages would spend time making cursed items instead of useful one.

Next up would be:

Me: You see a door.
Player: I try to break it open with my shoulder.
Me: You don't try to turn the knob first?
Player: No.
Me: ...you hurt your shoulder. -.-

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.

Last edited by Humabout; 10-09-2018 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Capitalized "Earth" because 'why on earth' is not as common a phrase as I thought it was
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:06 PM   #39
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Me: You see a door.
Player: I try to break it open with my shoulder.
Me: You don't try to turn the knob first?
Player: No.
Me: ...you hurt your shoulder. -.-
Sounds like the famous gazebo encounter. . . .

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:10 AM   #40
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
I think the best thing I've heard from a player was Dripton's 10 minute rant about why on earth mages would spend time making cursed items instead of useful one.
Had to reread this three times... the first two times I also asked "Why would Earth Mages spend time making cursed items?"
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, martial arts, skull