Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-17-2018, 11:28 PM   #1
PTTG

Default Statting a permanent wormhole replacing the vitals...

So I've got a PC here that's going to have a swirling nexus of mystical energy replacing his solar plexus. It's just narrow enough so that you can't see it from behind him, but wide enough that any hit from the front that would hit his vitals instead goes through the portal.

He has a few other functions from the portal; he can use it to dispose of things, as a light source, and he can use Snatcher through it. But I'm not sure how to price the defensive aspect of his ability.

Any thoughts?
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:38 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Statting a permanent wormhole replacing the vitals...

So, basically, someone attacking from the front will hit the portal, not the vitals, and that's guaranteed? That's Injury Tolerance (No Vitals), then, and I'd just borrow the Directional limitation from DR, so -50% for "front only".

Does hitting the portal have any other negative effects for the attacker? Like, lost weapons (or damage to a body part, if unarmed)?
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:46 PM   #3
PTTG

No Vitals just turns vitals hits into torso hits. His chest portal completely consumes attacks that hit his middle.

If he throws himself on a grenade, he'll be fine because the whole thing just vanishes through the portal (it's not exactly one-way, but rather it's so unstable that anything that goes through is essentially lost unless you're still holding onto it). If a grenade goes off while it's sitting on a lectern in front of him, he'll still be fully impacted by the shock wave and head-directed shrapnel.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:50 PM   #4
mr beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
No Vitals just turns vitals hits into torso hits. His chest portal completely consumes attacks that hit his middle.
This - it's better than No Vitals.

Could we just slap Cosmic (No Damage) on top?

EDIT

Or can we make this effectively a partially Insubstantial build?
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:00 AM   #5
PTTG

Interesting, though the attacks don't pass straight through him; they're gone, effectively destroyed. Though really dangerous items tend to have signatures such that they aren't really lost for good... best case, they're just out of action for a while.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:18 AM   #6
kirbwarrior

Affliction with Aura and the Death variant from Powers that expels things to another dimension is a... silly place to start.

It could be done as Extra Mouth with Force Extension* and the trait that lets you eat anything. Also silly, but far less absurd than the above.

*I've seen this used on Extra Arm to simulate a floating, indestructible shield. Sounds fine for this.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:42 AM   #7
Nereidalbel

Honestly? I'd actually start with a variant of Warp, including Tunnel and Always On. If the other end of the wormhole is unstable and frequently ends up shifting its location in spacetime, the lack of useful storage capability is probably worth a discount.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #8
PTTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Honestly? I'd actually start with a variant of Warp, including Tunnel and Always On. If the other end of the wormhole is unstable and frequently ends up shifting its location in spacetime, the lack of useful storage capability is probably worth a discount.
Thanks, I think you're right. Throw in Always On, and I get this:

Warp - Extra Carrying Capacity (Up to Extra-Heavy Encumbrance), +50%; No Strain, +25%; Tunnel, +100%; Portal replaces hit locations. (Provides total protection from certain directions.), +20%; No self-teleporting (You cannot pass through your own portal.), -30%; No targeting (The portal is entirely unpredictable.), -30%; Always On, -10%. Attacks to your torso or vitals from the front instead pass through the portal; energy and projectiles are lost, limbs and weapons may be pulled back through. [225]
Old 05-19-2018, 04:21 PM   #9
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
Thanks, I think you're right. Throw in Always On, and I get this:

Warp - Extra Carrying Capacity (Up to Extra-Heavy Encumbrance), +50%; No Strain, +25%; Tunnel, +100%; Portal replaces hit locations. (Provides total protection from certain directions.), +20%; No self-teleporting (You cannot pass through your own portal.), -30%; No targeting (The portal is entirely unpredictable.), -30%; Always On, -10%. Attacks to your torso or vitals from the front instead pass through the portal; energy and projectiles are lost, limbs and weapons may be pulled back through. [225]
I like the build (not 100% certain on the numbers), but one thing to note; How big of projectiles can this stop (is it anything up to Extra Heavy Encumbrance)? Can this actively be used as a "parry" or "dodge"? And, technically, I think it would have to be an affliction with always on and Aura, I don't think Warp can normally target things outside of yourself.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:51 AM   #10
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I like the build (not 100% certain on the numbers), but one thing to note; How big of projectiles can this stop (is it anything up to Extra Heavy Encumbrance)? Can this actively be used as a "parry" or "dodge"? And, technically, I think it would have to be an affliction with always on and Aura, I don't think Warp can normally target things outside of yourself.
Tunnel allows you to poof things through without Affliction. The limit on projectiles going through would be either massive enough that the PC feels the hit anyway, or, too big to fit through the portal.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no vitals, pc building, powers, supers