Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-11-2016, 12:59 PM   #1
hal

Default Reputation rules need over-hauling?

Subject line says it all.

Doesn't it seem odd that the frequency of recognition is so disjointed? Either reputation applies on a 7 or less, 10 or less, or all the time. Seriously?

Might it not be better to realize that reputation should act as a modifier to recognition such that a person in your neighborhood is more likely to be recognized 75% of the time by locals and corresponding lesser chance of recognition by someone outside the neighborhood, or even less of a chance by someone outside of the state or nation?

What about someone with current affairs at a given level than someone who doesn't keep up with current affairs (for example: popular culture, I don't much pay attention to musicians or dime a dozen actors and actresses).

There has to be some better way to model reputation and pricing it.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:03 PM   #2
PTTG

Default Re: Reputation rules need over-hauling?

I would normally apply the same penalties as Area Knowledge receives; after all, Area Knowledge basically represents one's awareness of local reputations!
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:46 PM   #3
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
I would normally apply the same penalties as Area Knowledge receives; after all, Area Knowledge basically represents one's awareness of local reputations!
I'd agree with you there, but the beak points for when the reputation kicks in for 7, 10, automatic needs work.

If I had to do this from scratch, I'd price it like allies.

Local area:
Base value grants a roll if person has a chance at KNOWING the reputation. If the person hasn't the access to the reputation, IQ-6, or current affairs-6 or even streetwise-6! Someone with a criminal record might be worth a -4 to rolls, but automatically shows up on a background check, etc. There may very well be people living under a rock or don't pay attention to things that happen etc, making the reputation recognition roll based on THEIR IQ or skill rolls rather than as GURPS has it now. How much someone makes their roll by might indicate whether the person recognizes the on sight, or only by their name if some one points it out to them.

I'd like to see something a bit more rational
Old 08-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #4
hal

Forgot to add:

Regional:

Adds +2 to rolls at adjacent regions x2 cost

Adds +4 to rolls at adjacent regions x3 cost

This way, neghboring areas gain +2 to offset the -2 penalties involved. So, for example, a petty two bit criminal, is recognized at -4 to most locals, -6 in nearby neighborhoods, -8 in the state, -10 in the west, -12 in the country, -14 outside the country.

Current affairs: headline news negates regional penalties, but suffers penalties based on time, etc.

Gotta give this some more thought.

Tags