Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:50 PM   #1
wolf90

Default Latest Ogrezine Release

Please use this thread to comment on our latest Ogrezine post: The Rise and Fall of Pittsburgh. I think you'll like it!

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:54 PM   #2
ColBosch

Default Re: Latest Ogrezine Release

Seth was the third son of Adam and Eve, per the Bible. *insert "The More You Know" graphic here*
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:36 PM   #3
ColBosch

...for those wondering why I was referencing the Bible, see the latest Ogre Update. :D

This is a fantastic article, perhaps my favorite yet. I love the vignettes, the background, the scenario hooks, the variant rules, and most of all, I love seeing Pittsburgh as a smoking battleground between three artificial intelligences.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:01 PM   #4
TheAmishStig

That is a really fascinating premise. A three-force scenario for the first 'half' of AI Breakout [the three going to war] is something I want to start fiddling with...
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:09 PM   #5
Leonidas
Banned

I loved it. The story is fascinating, and the idea of three AI fighting each other is really well thought. I am not sure If I will be able to playtest the no nuke variant in the short time, though.

In conlusion 100% thumbs up for me.
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:25 AM   #6
Ashley

I thought that the non-nuclear option rules were ingenious, so good that I will steal them for my own use. ;-)

Blogs:
http://panther6actual.blogspot.co.uk/
http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:40 AM   #7
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
I thought that the non-nuclear option rules were ingenious, so good that I will steal them for my own use. ;-)
Homerun!!

Please come back and let us know how they work . . . !

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:25 AM   #8
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
Homerun!!
Indeed. It takes a lot to get Ashley to post on a non-https site. Most impressive. :-)
Old 02-24-2018, 01:24 PM   #9
ColBosch

Quote:
Same. I think I'm going to use them for my ghost army rules, to balance how tough ghosts are to kill.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:46 AM   #10
offsides

Thank you all for the kind words. As a quick Author's Note, this whole thing started as a map-bashing exercise where I looked for a big city that would make an interesting map, and the 3 rivers part let me to the 3 AI concept. After all, we know that sentient Ogres have personalities, so why not Factory AIs? And if there were multiple factories in close proximity to each other, would they be allies, partners, or rivals? Or, what if they secretly hated each other? ... rubs hands together with an evil laugh :)

The Junkyard Dogre actually started as a separate idea around the same time, but I eventually folded it into the Pittsburgh concept because it fit well with the abandoned city/rogue AI vibe. So that's what led to the whole Pittsburgh idea, and it evolved over the past 7+ years from there (I have files dated early 2011, but they may not be the originals) . The fact that I got to leave Pittsburgh as a smoking radioactive ruin was just the icing on the cake! :P

Thanks (or should that be 'Tanks') to Steve for giving me an opportunity to play in his sandbox, and to both Steve and Drew for helping me polish up the article!
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote