Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
shkspr1048

Default Path/Book Magic and FP

Has anyone ever used the spending of FP in conjunction with Energy Accumulating-style P/B Magic?
shkspr1048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
vierasmarius

Default Re: Path/Book Magic and FP

One approach is to treat it as a variant of Self-Sacrifice (Thaum pg 246), giving up FP instead of HP. Considering the lower value of Costs FP compared to Costs HP, fatigue would require a larger sacrifice per +1 to skill, as high as x2 or 40% of FP total. I'd probably go with 33% though, so spending all your FP on one ritual will give a +3 bonus.

RPM (a derivation of the Energy Accumulating system) takes a different approach, treating every 2 HP or every 3 FP as the equivalent of 1 energy for spellcasting. This gives a more certain benefit for the number of points spent, may be a smaller overall benefit when making many Energy Gathering rolls. Its main advantage is that it's simpler to use.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by shkspr1048 View Post
Has anyone ever used the spending of FP in conjunction with Energy Accumulating-style P/B Magic?
I'm working on getting a system or Realm/Power Magic to work with an energy accumulating model like RPM, but each roll costs 1 FP.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
shkspr1048

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
One approach is to treat it as a variant of Self-Sacrifice (Thaum pg 246), giving up FP instead of HP. Considering the lower value of Costs FP compared to Costs HP, fatigue would require a larger sacrifice per +1 to skill, as high as x2 or 40% of FP total. I'd probably go with 33% though, so spending all your FP on one ritual will give a +3 bonus.

RPM (a derivation of the Energy Accumulating system) takes a different approach, treating every 2 HP or every 3 FP as the equivalent of 1 energy for spellcasting. This gives a more certain benefit for the number of points spent, may be a smaller overall benefit when making many Energy Gathering rolls. Its main advantage is that it's simpler to use.
But as for accumulating energy, could FP be spent to add to the energy required?
shkspr1048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:22 AM   #5
fifiste

I think cool thing would be to require each energy gathering roll to spend 1FP. All that wrangling of arcane forces from wild to your will is exhausting. (Or maybe just all that singind dancing and bangind drums etc is a busy work :D).
I'tll make casting big rituals a much more serious business though. If you want to be more generous then you can maybe say that each time this 1FP will be automatically added to the Enrgy gathered - this will make smallish spells quicker and easier to accomplish - but large spells might be impossible or very demanding physically for the caster.!
fifiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifiste View Post
I think cool thing would be to require each energy gathering roll to spend 1FP. All that wrangling of arcane forces from wild to your will is exhausting. (Or maybe just all that singind dancing and bangind drums etc is a busy work :D).
Yes, that's what I'm doing for my magic. There is very little physical needed, but the FP is there because you use your own internal resources to access the more powerful energies of the universe.

I'm also considering requiring such FP be from an energy reserve. If they are using their normal FP the. It costs 2 FP.

Quote:
It'll make casting big rituals a much more serious business though. If you want to be more generous then you can maybe say that each time this 1FP will be automatically added to the Enrgy gathered - this will make smallish spells quicker and easier to accomplish - but large spells might be impossible or very demanding physically for the caster.!
Yes. A large ritual will require some sort of source. A long time ago I wrote a story about a group of mages where half their time was supposed to be at their home school where they would concentrate and add mana to a large pool that the wandering mages of the school could access to do large spells.

And I really like your idea of adding the FP to the energy. Also, When you use you own FP to gather only one point gets added to the energy. Of course you can still burn 3 of you FP for one energy point.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
path/book magic