Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #1
Nereidalbel

Default The Chaos Emeralds

Without resorting to just calling them Plot Devices, how would one properly make the Chaos Emeralds in GURPS?

From their effects on beings who physically possess them, to machines over-exposed to their energy, how would this be represented?

And just how much power output do they need if 7 of them turn an asteroid-busting laser into a beam that can pierce stars?
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:56 PM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: The Chaos Emeralds

Perhaps a bit more information for those of us unfamiliar with the source material would help. I'd never heard of these, and my google-fu sucks so I'm not sure what I'm googling is what you're talking about; I keep getting gem dealerships in Amsterdam among other oddities.

What are the emeralds' stated abilities in the source materials?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Perhaps a bit more information for those of us unfamiliar with the source material would help. I'd never heard of these, and my google-fu sucks so I'm not sure what I'm googling is what you're talking about; I keep getting gem dealerships in Amsterdam among other oddities.

What are the emeralds' stated abilities in the source materials?

They're from the Sonic the Hedgehog series. Canonically, one emerald can power a civilization indefinitely. Gathering all seven (temporarily) grants one near-invulnerability, flight, and a 1000% power increase. Star-piercing lasers, impacting the ground at ~6,000,000 fps, and travel outside of time and space are survivable.

Other properties depend on whether one is aligned more to good or evil, and unique to an individual. Chaos Control allows enough control over time and space to teleport a comet from the center of a city into space, while Chaos Blast could vaporize said comet.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:12 PM   #4
mr beer

What does "pierce" stars mean? Penetrating a star to some extent would seem considerably less powerful than destroying it.

I saw a table online somewhere which had the power output for a whole bunch of things, from nuclear weapons of various sizes, comet/asteroid impacts, Death Star laser, through the Big Bang. No idea where it is, but something like that should give the power requirements for any massive weapon.

You can probably scale between one of the human sized weapons to your Star Smashing beam from the power requirements to calculate the number of d6 damage it does.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:55 AM   #5
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
I saw a table online somewhere which had the power output for a whole bunch of things, from nuclear weapons of various sizes, comet/asteroid impacts, Death Star laser, through the Big Bang. No idea where it is, but something like that should give the power requirements for any massive weapon.
Is this the one you mean?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote