Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
Maz

Default Does telegraphic Attack help to avoid critical failure?

It doesn't help you get a Critical HIT, but it doesn't say it does not help prevent a critical miss. Is this correct?
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
gjc8

Default Re: Does telegraphic Attack help to avoid critical failure?

That seems to pass a reality check (at least in the thought experiment phase).
gjc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
MattStriker

Hmm. Looks reasonable, I'd allow it.
MattStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
It doesn't help you get a Critical HIT, but it doesn't say it does not help prevent a critical miss. Is this correct?
Depends on what you mean by prevent a critical miss. Are you talking about a "my skill is 4, but I roll 15" situation, "my skill is 12 and I roll 17," or something else? I'd personally convert either of the above to a regular failure instead of a critical failure if they had the +4 from Telegraphing because you're less likely to stab yourself if you're lining up your shot meticulously.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
Gollum

"Does telegraphic Attack help to avoid critical failure?"

It does... a bit.
  • If the character has a skill level of 5 or less (since a critical failure occurs when the player's roll is 10 or more greater than such a level)
  • or if the bonus is sufficient to raise the effective skill to 16 or plus (in which case a roll of 17 is not anymore a critical failure but an ordinary failure; the chance of scoring a critical failure are divided by 4!)
Now, of course, for an average character (skill level of 10), it doesn't. But it helps him avoid a ordinary failure, which is something good, isn't it!
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:56 AM   #6
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Likewise, it doesn't help you to get a critical hit... Except if the bonus raise your effective skill to 15 or above, in which case a roll of 5 or even a roll of 6 become a critical success.

Your chance to score a critical success may be multiplied by 2 or even by 5 (effective skill level of 16 or +).
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:27 AM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
Likewise, it doesn't help you to get a critical hit... Except if the bonus raise your effective skill to 15 or above, in which case a roll of 5 or even a roll of 6 become a critical success.
No it doesn't. I'm fairly sure that "the +4 to hit doesn't affect your chance of a critical hit" (Martial Arts page 113) exactly means that a roll of 5 or 6 isn't a critical hit unless your skill was already 15+. The example following that sentence is very explicit in that.

I don't see any reason to think that the +4 doesn't reduce your chances of a critical failure. So that if your skill is 3-6, the bonus will ensure that you only critically fail on a 17 or 18. I don't see any reason that it should prevent critical failures altogether though.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:30 AM   #8
Xilodel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I don't see any reason that it should prevent critical failures altogether though.
Agreed. You can still screw up your technique and strain a muscle, miss and be thrown off balance, etc. Though I also agree with the brain trust that reducing your odds of critical failure is not unreasonable.
Xilodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:31 AM   #9
Johnny Angel

It is my understanding that telegraphic attack does not help you to avoid critical failure; however, I am extrapolating that from the idea that it does not help you to achieve a critical success.
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:43 AM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post
It is my understanding that telegraphic attack does not help you to avoid critical failure; however, I am extrapolating that from the idea that it does not help you to achieve a critical success.
It's explicitly stated that it doesn't affect your chance of a critical success. Nowhere does it state that does not affect your chance of a critical failure, therefore there is no reason to assume that it does not.

Presumably the intent of the rule is to keep a Telegraphic Attack from being perversely harder to defend against, since critical hits allow no defense. This is irrelevant in regards to critical misses.

Furthermore it only has an effect on critical misses if your effective skill before the bonus is 6 or less. In these situations a Telegraphic attack is a good option, penalizing it by making critical misses more likely seems like a bad deal. A character with effective skill of 3 gets a critical miss on a 13+. If he makes a telegraphic attack and if Telegraphic Attack doesn't affect critical miss chances, he only "just" misses on a 8-12. If it does affect critical misses that improves to 8-16, and therefore worth the attempt.

Logically "carefully lining up the shot" ought to make it less likely that something disastrous should happen.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote