Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-16-2018, 03:07 AM   #11
Alonsua
Banned

Default Re: Link an historical character to the cited advantage

Feel free to share your opinions even if they go back to characters from ancient Egypt and there is no reliable method to check them. I prefer to have ten potentially successful opinions than none. Thank you.
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:14 AM   #12
Blind Mapmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Lets kick off the contention!!!

Leonhard Euler
Certainly also a contender for

Quote:
6. Eidetic Memory
Old 07-16-2018, 04:03 AM   #13
sn0wball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Also, the trouble with using Renaissance polymaths as exemplars is that it was a whole lot easier to be on the forefront of a dozen disciplines in the 16th and 17th centuries, because the frontiers of science were a lot closer. A modern Liebniz wouldn't be a leading expert in all the disciplines the original was, simply because every one of those disciplines is many orders of magnitude wider and deeper than they were in his day.
True. But broadness of knowledge still is an indicator for an high IQ, isnīt it?
Old 07-16-2018, 04:35 AM   #14
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0wball View Post
True. But broadness of knowledge still is an indicator for an high IQ, isnīt it?
In GURPS terms, certainly However, it's very hard to compare the broadness of Leibniz's knowledge with that of e.g. Aristotle or Murray Gell-Man
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:40 AM   #15
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Under GURPS rules, being the best mathematician in the world doesnīt equal the highest IQ, but perhaps some kind of Talent.
What does he need IQ for that wouldn't be covered by IQ 10-13, Versatile [5] + 10* levels of Mathematical Ability [10]: (Accounting, Astronomy, Cryptography, Engineer, Finance, Market Analysis, Mathematics, and Physics.)

*Power Ups 3: Talents has rules for 5, 6, and 10 levels of Talent
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:00 AM   #16
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
What does he need IQ for that wouldn't be covered by IQ 10-13, Versatile [5] + 10* levels of Mathematical Ability [10]: (Accounting, Astronomy, Cryptography, Engineer, Finance, Market Analysis, Mathematics, and Physics.)

*Power Ups 3: Talents has rules for 5, 6, and 10 levels of Talent
He doesn't need a high IQ per se, but the OP isn't looking for how to optimize and normalize the write-up for a character. The OP specifically asked for historical examples of people who could reasonably be written up as high level advantage/high Attribute characters and Leibniz [and Euler] were put forth as possibilities for very high IQ, if not IQ 20 [and Euler has also been put forward for Eidetic Memory as well].

Query for OP: Did you intend Eidetic Memory [5] or did you intend Photographic Memory [10]?
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:50 AM   #17
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
He doesn't need a high IQ per se, but the OP isn't looking for how to optimize and normalize the write-up for a character. The OP specifically asked for historical examples of people who could reasonably be written up as high level advantage/high Attribute characters and Leibniz [and Euler] were put forth as possibilities for very high IQ, if not IQ 20 [and Euler has also been put forward for Eidetic Memory as well].

Query for OP: Did you intend Eidetic Memory [5] or did you intend Photographic Memory [10]?
If Photographic Memory is a possibility, then do it Photographic Memory :)
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:11 AM   #18
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
6. Eidetic Memory
Kim Peek, one of the primary inspirations for "Rain Man".

Quote:
15. Lightning Calculator
Jedediah Buxton, one of the earliest known Autistic Savants. Known for his mathematical ability.

Though I'd be happier if we could find these traits outside of Autistic Savants.

Quote:
10. Intelligence (Maximum)
My inclination is for Da Vinci, who seems to have been a particularly rounded renaissance man.

Quote:
1. Absolute Direction
I don't know of any historical characters, but I have a friend who I think qualifies. He always knew which way was north and how to get places. He may have just been very good at navigating, or you could say he has the advantage.

Of course, if its that easy to pick up, its likely that some famous navigator or sailor had it. Between Columbus, Vespucci, and De Gama, I suspect you have at least one instance. Of course, I have no historical evidence to show which, or prove it at all.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:29 AM   #19
sn0wball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
10. Intelligence (Maximum)
Ideally, youīd look for someone who has demonstrated an extraordinarily high intellectual capabulity in several unrelated areas (to differentiate from a high Talent) before any academic training (to exclude simply high skills).

For example, Carl Friedrich Gauss, demonstrated astounding mathematical capability as a child, but only in that area, though, making him a contender for Talent.

The same is true for DX.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:43 AM   #20
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:

The same is true for DX.

Vincent Edward "Bo" Jackson.

Known for his raw athleticism and ability to just pick up sports and excel in them. A true generalist. Competed in both MLB and NFL, and rejected a career in track and field after competing at the national level. He was said to just make difficult tasks look natural.

You could build him with a talent for sports, but I suspect he's best built with a huge pile of RAW DX.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote