Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-14-2018, 12:23 PM   #21
Alonsua
Banned

Default Re: Biotech: Help me justify good looking females with high strength values

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
50% higher muscle 'performance density' might be possible, but the actual density of the muscle would not need to be significantly higher.
Yes, this used the higher fast-twitch fibers (MHC IIa+IId) content in muscles (pending approval) route and will be more of a performance enhancement than anything (it will increase striking and lifting ST but not HP), so I still need to really increase weight from 216 lbs to 343 lbs.

I think we should concentrate on myofibers (Skeletal Muscle Fiber Structure). Increasing their density should work as represented by male/female comparisons aswell as working on the bones to allow stronger attachment points but most of people around seems to disagree so lets find an alternative solution.

Last edited by Alonsua; 07-14-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #22
whswhs

Default Re: Biotech: Help me justify good looking females with high strength values

The big question for a lot of this seems to be, are you going for abilities that are Biological (in GURPS Powers terms) or abilities that are Super? In the former case, I recommend, as a guideline, looking at actual capabilities of living animals (or plants), actual tissue compositions, and so on. That's what I did with the Enhanced Senses power in GURPS Powers: Enhanced Senses, which was specified as Biological (and, for example, couldn't give you X-ray vision, sense of perception, or built-in radar). And then, as far as mass in concerned, you'd want to look at the actual weights not just of "tissue" but of specific tissues. Animals are mainly made of muscle, and muscle is meat, and the density of meat doesn't seem to vary a lot, but you could probably research the mass density of muscle tissue.

If you want Super, you can just ignore the whole issue. In GURPS Supers I had rules for non-mass-linked ST and how you applied it in play. Or you could say that they have incredibly high tissue density, possibly exceeding that of any chemical element under earthly conditions; GURPS Powers: The Weird has a "denser molecular structure" option. I always liked the fancy of Peter Parker, once he became Spider-man, having amazing physical strength—but still being a scrawny kid, because the strength of his muscles and bones doesn't depend on their mass; so you have a 125-pound boy whose Basic Lift is 500 pounds. (That really gives you the "proportionate strength of a spider" effect!)

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:01 PM   #23
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
The big question for a lot of this seems to be, are you going for abilities that are Biological (in GURPS Powers terms) or abilities that are Super? In the former case, I recommend, as a guideline, looking at actual capabilities of living animals (or plants), actual tissue compositions, and so on. That's what I did with the Enhanced Senses power in GURPS Powers: Enhanced Senses, which was specified as Biological (and, for example, couldn't give you X-ray vision, sense of perception, or built-in radar). And then, as far as mass in concerned, you'd want to look at the actual weights not just of "tissue" but of specific tissues. Animals are mainly made of muscle, and muscle is meat, and the density of meat doesn't seem to vary a lot, but you could probably research the mass density of muscle tissue.

If you want Super, you can just ignore the whole issue. In GURPS Supers I had rules for non-mass-linked ST and how you applied it in play. Or you could say that they have incredibly high tissue density, possibly exceeding that of any chemical element under earthly conditions; GURPS Powers: The Weird has a "denser molecular structure" option. I always liked the fancy of Peter Parker, once he became Spider-man, having amazing physical strength—but still being a scrawny kid, because the strength of his muscles and bones doesn't depend on their mass; so you have a 125-pound boy whose Basic Lift is 500 pounds. (That really gives you the "proportionate strength of a spider" effect!)
I found that stimulating bone cell growth would allow to take it from 216 lbs to 275 lbs without changing external physical appearance so we just need some way to increase weigh from 275 lbs (ST 14) to 340 lbs (ST 15) which is a 65 lbs difference. I am looking for biological realistic upgrades though I will go on that book next for upgraded senses if you can confirm that they can be bioengineered by TL 9.

Last edited by Alonsua; 07-14-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:08 PM   #24
NineDaysDead
Banned

See Muscle Reinforcement (TL10) Bio-Tech, page 176, for ST without extra mass.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:32 PM   #25
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
See Muscle Reinforcement (TL10) Bio-Tech, page 176, for ST without extra mass.
In this case I do need to increase the mass but without increasing the apparent bulk, but I appreciate your effort.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #26
Ze'Manel Cunha

Heini Kouviniemi competed back in the day at 5'7" and 145 lbs or so, she looked pretty normal sized for one of the "World's Strongest Women" in competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw7ssmUm-h8

The Crossfit championships also feature some very normal sized looking people who accomplish amazing feats of strength and endurance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBNAxPykDK0
Old 07-14-2018, 03:05 PM   #27
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Heini Kouviniemi competed back in the day at 5'7" and 145 lbs or so, she looked pretty normal sized for one of the "World's Strongest Women" in competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw7ssmUm-h8

The Crossfit championships also feature some very normal sized looking people who accomplish amazing feats of strength and endurance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBNAxPykDK0
Heini Kouviniemi phenotype is showing a decreasing performance by about 3% (and I prefer the ST 13 body types too) when compared to the other phenotypes, but I appreciate your effort.

Last edited by Alonsua; 07-14-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:22 PM   #28
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
Heini Kouviniemi phenotype is showing a decreasing performance by about 3% (and I prefer the ST 13 body types too) when compared to the other phenotypes, but I appreciate your effort.
Mass and size don't actually translate to strength directly when looking at muscle mass vs actual strength in professional strongmen/strongwomen.

In other words, we can shred muscle to build up a bulging look, but the steadier workout which doesn't shred as much muscle, and isn't as bulging, is often stronger. It's just faster and easier to bulk up, especially in targeted muscles like biceps and quads, and the shred looks more impressive as it gives a visual feedback not present in the slower more methodical training.

You can always substitute in spidersilk biomemetic muscle, it won't be providing more weight/mass, but it will radically boost ST.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #29
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Mass and size don't actually translate to strength directly when looking at muscle mass vs actual strength in professional strongmen/strongwomen.

In other words, we can shred muscle to build up a bulging look, but the steadier workout which doesn't shred as much muscle, and isn't as bulging, is often stronger. It's just faster and easier to bulk up, especially in targeted muscles like biceps and quads, and the shred looks more impressive as it gives a visual feedback not present in the slower more methodical training.

You can always substitute in spidersilk biomemetic muscle, it won't be providing more weight/mass, but it will radically boost ST.
Your idea could be pretty well used for bioengineered species increasing Lifting and Striking ST. I do also agree that it is easier to gain strength by bulking up (wich would also justify increasing HP). However I still need to come up with another way to increase weight (increasing HP/mass) without changing apparent bulk (stimulating bone cell growth is already on use).

Pd. If we are unable to find any other way around I will just rule out that stimulating bone cell growth is enough for ST+2.

Last edited by Alonsua; 07-14-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:37 PM   #30
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
Your idea could be pretty well used for bioengineered species increasing Lifting and Striking ST. I do also agree that it is easier to gain strength by bulking up (wich would also justify increasing HP). However I still need to come up with another way to increase weight (increasing HP/mass) without changing apparent bulk (stimulating bone cell growth is already on use).
HP isn't just about mass, it's also about how hard it is to take apart.
Spidersilk as the example has much higher HP than muscle fiber, higher than steel too.