Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #11
Varyon

Default Re: Star Wars: Weapon and Armor Special Materials

Actually, now that I've taken a look at the document, I think Beskar may indeed be overpowered. Using the Durasteel values, beskar armor is going to give DR 135, fully hardened against blasters. This means a blaster needs a minimum damage of 23d to have a chance of doing any damage (maximum damage for 23d is 138) outside of a critical hit. I'm all for beskar rendering a person nearly-immune to small-arms fire, but when you get to the point of shrugging off stationary cannon, you may have gone a bit too far.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #12
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Actually, now that I've taken a look at the document, I think Beskar may indeed be overpowered. Using the Durasteel values, beskar armor is going to give DR 135, fully hardened against blasters. This means a blaster needs a minimum damage of 23d to have a chance of doing any damage (maximum damage for 23d is 138) outside of a critical hit. I'm all for beskar rendering a person nearly-immune to small-arms fire, but when you get to the point of shrugging off stationary cannon, you may have gone a bit too far.
Hmm... we hadn't crunched those numbers. Thanks for the heads-up.

Would you say, then, that 3 or 4 levels of Hardened would be better?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #13
vierasmarius

Quote:
Perhaps drop it to "just" Hardened 2. Blasters will get AD (2) and Lightsabers AD (3), meaning DR 90 Durasteel would typically block a 12d Blaster or 8d Saber. Jedi could cut through with the aid of Power Blow or similar damage-boosting Force skills. A hotshotted Semi-Portable Blaster would also penetrate reliably. (I picture that as something like the E-Web Portable Blaster as seen in the Hoth attack and elsewhere.)
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #14
Christopher R. Rice

It also occurs to me that you might get some mileage out of David Pulver's Blaster and Laser Design from #3/37 Pyramid: Tech and Toys II. I've used it to great effect in my own campaigns.

:-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #15
Varyon

An effective DR of 60 is what I'd be tempted to go with - that will make them nearly proof against any lightsaber, as well as any blaster up to 10d. DR 60 means the lightsaber would be cutting the DR down by a little more than half, so 4 levels of hardened would work there - although that won't fix the blaster problem. 3 levels will let the lightsaber drop DR down to 45, giving a Jedi a small chance to penetrate for up to 3 damage. Blasters will be dropping DR down to 75 or so, meaning you need 13d to have a chance at penetrating. That still seems high, but if we drop it any lower Jedi's will have a 50% shot at penetrating it, which is entirely too high.

So, yeah, I'd go with 3 levels here. Skilled Jedi can use things like Power Blow, Chinks in Armor, and so forth to have a decent chance at penetration against a fully-armored Mandalorian. If this seems like it weakens beskar against Jedi's too much, you could allow it to have additional hardening against lightsabers only.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #16
RyanW

Quote:
Given that every example of armor present in the films appears to function as costume first and protection second, if at all, I would err on the side of offense over defense. To make up for it, be generous with the Impulse Buys.

Tags
armor mods, star wars, weapon mods