Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
Phantasm

Default Star Wars: Weapon and Armor Special Materials

Going through stuff right now for an upcoming Star Wars game, and trying to come up with stuff for the special materials seen in many sources, such as cortosis (a real headache with its inconsistent representation), phrick alloy, and beskar (Mandalorian iron). (I'm not going to touch the total inconsistencies of neutronium.)

Here's what I have for melee weapons and armor made from these materials:

Melee Weapon Modifiers
Cortosis, Phrick, and Beskar (Mandalorian Iron): Blades made out of materials use the Hyperdense Blades stats on Ultra-Tech p.164. These materials are able to withstand lightsaber and blaster attacks. Staff weapons made out of these materials follow the same pricing, but only get the damage bonus and the ability to withstand energy attacks, not the armor divisor.

Armor Modifiers
Beskar (aka Mandalorian Iron): gives +50% more DR and Hardened 5 vs Energy, reducing all armor penetration of energy weapons (including lightsabers) to (1); +99 CF.

Cortosis Weave: Not even the Mandalorians can afford to outfit every one of their warriors with beskar. Thankfully, there's cortosis, which gives +10% more DR for the same weight or -10% weight for the same DR, at the cost of being semi-ablative, as well as one level of Hardened; +19 CF. Phrick is treated the same as Cortosis Weave.

In addition, I've given the TL11 Clamshell armors in UT the LT:IA treatment, using Light Clamshell for "plasteel" and Heavy Clamshell for "durasteel", treating the armors in UT as a cuirass covering the "chest" area of the torso.

So, thoughts?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Star Wars: Weapon and Armor Special Materials

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Going through stuff right now for an upcoming Star Wars game, and trying to come up with stuff for the special materials seen in many sources, such as cortosis (a real headache with its inconsistent representation), phrick alloy, and beskar (Mandalorian iron). (I'm not going to touch the total inconsistencies of neutronium.)

Here's what I have for melee weapons and armor made from these materials:

Melee Weapon Modifiers
Cortosis, Phrick, and Beskar (Mandalorian Iron): Blades made out of materials use the Hyperdense Blades stats on Ultra-Tech p.164. These materials are able to withstand lightsaber and blaster attacks. Staff weapons made out of these materials follow the same pricing, but only get the damage bonus and the ability to withstand energy attacks, not the armor divisor.

Armor Modifiers
Beskar (aka Mandalorian Iron): gives +50% more DR and Hardened 5 vs Energy, reducing all armor penetration of energy weapons (including lightsabers) to (1); +99 CF.

Cortosis Weave: Not even the Mandalorians can afford to outfit every one of their warriors with beskar. Thankfully, there's cortosis, which gives +10% more DR for the same weight or -10% weight for the same DR, at the cost of being semi-ablative, as well as one level of Hardened; +19 CF. Phrick is treated the same as Cortosis Weave.

In addition, I've given the TL11 Clamshell armors in UT the LT:IA treatment, using Light Clamshell for "plasteel" and Heavy Clamshell for "durasteel", treating the armors in UT as a cuirass covering the "chest" area of the torso.

So, thoughts?
Only that if you put as much work into a Star Wars conversion as you did your Marvel one that I might actually run a Star Wars campaign... :-)

Seriously - looks good to me.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Only that if you put as much work into a Star Wars conversion as you did your Marvel one that I might actually run a Star Wars campaign... :-)

Seriously - looks good to me.
I'm working on it. Why do anything half-assed? ;)

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Atta boy! Looks good - the styles are near perfect if I'm remembering their descriptions from KOTOR anyways.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
I might use some of that for my own campaign, if you don't mind.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
LemmingLord

I have a very narrow view of canon and am not sure Star Wars gameplay benefits too much from starting the damage and dr of Star Wars weapons and armor.

Light sabers do enough damage to cut through and lop off whatever they hit, unless you have the story enhanced armor in which case it deflects enough to keep things interesting.

Same is true of blasters and armor but they are inaccurate enough to keep people taking cover fairly protected.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
Tzeentch

It makes more sense if players are familiar with the more mechanical representation of the Star Wars universe through the video games, and especially TOR where armor can and does mitigate against lightsaber damage.
Tzeentch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
GodBeastX

Armor Modifiers

^ This I think is a horrid horrid armor value.

I'd have rather seen a damage divider on the burn damage than hardening and such. Essentially what that turns into is someone on the battlefield where an army is using blasters, standing there an laughing as they're pelted with thousands of blasters for 0 damage.

If something provides that much resistence, I would likely make it ablative or limited. Not just an all around fix for money.

It's one of the things I liked about 4E vs 3E. That damage was kept more minimal and pentration grew. Dividing a blaster's damage by 2 might be enough to make the armor worth it but not all mitigating.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord View Post
I have a very narrow view of canon and am not sure Star Wars gameplay benefits too much from starting the damage and dr of Star Wars weapons and armor.

Light sabers do enough damage to cut through and lop off whatever they hit, unless you have the story enhanced armor in which case it deflects enough to keep things interesting.

Same is true of blasters and armor but they are inaccurate enough to keep people taking cover fairly protected.
That tends to be common of pretty much any fictional technology (or real technology used in fiction) - vessels travel at PLOT speed, weapons kill/destroy anyone that isn't defended by PLOT, etc. Naturally, when trying to have a system by which to play a game, such rules tend to give rather poor results...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
Armor Modifiers

I'd have rather seen a damage divider on the burn damage than hardening and such. Essentially what that turns into is someone on the battlefield where an army is using blasters, standing there an laughing as they're pelted with thousands of blasters for 0 damage.
Actually, I think that may well be the point of beskar. It's described as being nearly indestructible and extremely resistant to energy weapons. Of course, the Wookiepedia entry on it notes that it doesn't protect perfectly against the "impact" of blaster bolts. It may be appropriate to have it convert Burn to Crushing (actually, having Star Wars blasters have linked crushing damage might be appropriate anyway).
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
Armor Modifiers

If something provides that much resistence, I would likely make it ablative or limited. Not just an all around fix for money.

It's one of the things I liked about 4E vs 3E. That damage was kept more minimal and pentration grew. Dividing a blaster's damage by 2 might be enough to make the armor worth it but not all mitigating.
A few notes:

Lightsabers use the UT Force Sword stats: 8d (10) burn.

A typical blaster pistol will do 3d (5) burn sur. A heavy blaster pistol like Han's will do 4d (5) burn sur, and a blaster carbine like the stormtroopers' will do 5d (5) burn sur.

Standard stormtrooper armor will be the plasteel armor without special materials. We crunched the numbers in IRC and saw that it would protect against most pistols but be penetrated quite often with heavy pistols or carbines, which matches the movies nicely. Meanwhile beskar has been shown to shrug off lightsaber blows with only mere scratches in the comics, novels, and radio adaptations.

As for the money involved, a full suit of beskar armor would be at minimum designed from a durasteel suit, if not a combat hardsuit, and run in the 6-digit range in price, almost half a million G$. I don't think many PCs would be able to afford that; and availability is RARE. (If anything, I think I might have underpriced beskar.)

Last edited by Phantasm; 06-22-2013 at 06:32 PM.

Tags
armor mods, star wars, weapon mods