Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #101
Johnny Angel

Default Re: Rapid Healing and Regeneration

Why not just say that Regeneration does not automatically include Very Rapid Healing?
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:21 PM   #102
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post
Why not just say that Regeneration does not automatically include Very Rapid Healing?
That's already the case.

Did you mean Regeneration does not include Rapid Healing? I don't think that's enough to justify VRH.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:33 PM   #103
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Without your suggestion, by price:

RH HT+5 to regain 1 HP/day if resting
Regen 2HP/day + HT+5 to regain 1 HP/day if resting
VRH HT+5 to regain 2 HP/day if resting.

With your suggestion, by price:

Regen 2HP/day + HT to regain 1HP/day if resting

2 HP/day with no roll is better than 2 HP/day if you're resting AND you make your HT roll, with or without the bonus.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:10 PM   #104
Johnny Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
That's already the case.

Did you mean Regeneration does not include Rapid Healing? I don't think that's enough to justify VRH.
yes, that's what I meant; thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
Without your suggestion, by price:

Regen 2HP/day + HT+5 to regain 1 HP/day if resting

With your suggestion, by price:

Regen 2HP/day + HT to regain 1HP/day if resting

2 HP/day with no roll is better than 2 HP/day if you're resting AND you make your HT roll, with or without the bonus.
It still seems like a good place to start.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:46 PM   #105
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
It still seems like a good place to start.
Meh, I think I prefer inverting the prices to messing with the mechanics. As it stands the mechanics are nice and neat. I'd rather just change some point costs as opposed to figuring out what I need to add to VRH or take away from Regen in order to make everything balance. And besides, it makes thematic sense that someone who heals quickly get a bonus to HP recovery checks.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:32 PM   #106
Johnny Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
Meh, I think I prefer inverting the prices to messing with the mechanics. As it stands the mechanics are nice and neat. I'd rather just change some point costs as opposed to figuring out what I need to add to VRH or take away from Regen in order to make everything balance. And besides, it makes thematic sense that someone who heals quickly get a bonus to HP recovery checks.
Totally understandable...

For me, the easiest solution seems to be this:

Rapid Healing, 5 points; still functions as stated (1 HP with roll)

Very Rapid Healing, 10 points; still functions as stated (2 HP with roll)

Slow Regeneration, 15 Points; no longer is assumed to include Rapid Healing (2 HP without roll; possibly 3 with roll)

There's minimal change to the mechanics, and the point cost is slightly changed. It's an easy solution which is easy to explain to a player (especially a new player.) It's also a nice progression of 1 HP, then 2 HP, and then potentially 3 HP which also coincides with the point progression of 5, 10, and 15.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:54 PM   #107
Edges

There's a lot of good ideas on this thread. I'm going to go with splitting the mundane advantages up differently and changing the cost of regen. I'm adding it to my house rules.

New Advantages:

Good Healer. You are more likely to recover on any give day of rest. Add a +1 per level to your HT roll to recover lost HP naturally. Cost 1pt/level

Rapid Healer. You recover from wounds at twice the normal rate. Double the amount of HP you recover from any natural healing (including healing through regeneration). Cost 10 pts.

Regeneration (Slow). You recover 1 HP per 12 hours. No additional benefit. Cost 15 pts.

Thanks guys for the inspiration.

Ah.. ninjad
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:31 AM   #108
Dinadon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
Here's the thing. Players can't just make up whatever they want and have it go through without the GM giving the thumbs up.

Let's go back to the book, B32:
Exotic advantages are traits that ordinary humans cannot have without ultra-tech body modification or similar tampering; for instance, extra arms or death-ray vision. Nonhumans will often have exotic advantages on a racial basis, but this does not entitle them to add such traits freely. You need the GM’s permission to add exotic traits that do not appear on
your racial template (see Chapter 7). Exotic advantages are marked [Alien Head].

and let's go back to the guidance on Modifiers, B101:
The GM has the final say as to which traits you can modify, and in what ways. Some combinations make no sense (imagine Unaging with the Limited Use limitation!), others have potential for abuse, and still others might not suit the campaign.
Have you read the Special Exercises perk? It can let you take exotic advantages in mundane, realistic games, and is classed as an Unusual Background perk. Striking ST is one of the example advantages. You could already raise your damage by just raising ST. The effect of Striking ST isn't out of reach of someone in a realistic game, and it isn't implausible for them to get Striking ST either.

So why is a modified slow regen that has been made to work exactly the same as VRH something entirely different to VRH? Oh, and please answer the question I've asked. In my last post I made no mention of genre, and this question has no mention of genre. It also has no question of points total. It just asks if two things do the same thing, are they the same thing?
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #109
Vaevictis Asmadi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
New Advantages:

Good Healer. You are more likely to recover on any give day of rest. Add a +1 per level to your HT roll to recover lost HP naturally. Cost 1pt/level

Rapid Healer. You recover from wounds at twice the normal rate. Double the amount of HP you recover from any natural healing (including healing through regeneration). Cost 10 pts.
I really like these. Good jidea making rapid Healing level-able! But you left out the bonus to getting over crippling injuries. I think regular Rapid Healing is priced reasonably, so I'd ad +1/lv to Good Healer.

I also agree about the 5-10-15 pt and 0/1-0/2-2/3 HP progressions.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #110
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
Ah.. ninjad
By over 2 years!
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
house rules, rapid healing, regeneration