Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
Praxian

Default Spellfire Translation

Working on making a gurps-style spellfire setup.

So far, on working on the basics I have for the basic absorption of spells as this:

DR:
Absorption +100%, Limited: Magic Only -40%, Magical, -10%

Energy Reserve (Magical):
Abilities Only -10%, Special Recharge -70%

From my understanding, the ER would only power Advantages that were Magical, so it would -not- power spells, right? Also, would the DR when it absorbs damage from a magical source, recharge the ER (or is that another modifier to -only- put the points into that so to speak?).

This is, obviously, the basics for most of spellfire, but it is the most important part of it too.

Anyways, thanks for checking it out!
Praxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Spellfire Translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxian View Post
I have no idea what that is.
Quote:
From my understanding, the ER would only power Advantages that were Magical, so it would -not- power spells, right?
I'm fairly certain that it absolutely powers spells, otherwise it would be utterly useless in most of the places it's suggested in GURPS.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
Jerander

Quote:
What is "spellfire?"

Quote:
DR:
Absorption +100%, Limited: Magic Only -40%, Magical, -10%

Energy Reserve (Magical):
Abilities Only -10%, Special Recharge -70%
Magic Only on DR is -20%, I believe. See Basic Set, p. 46.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I have no idea what that is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
What is "spellfire?"
I assume the OP means the Spellfire ability from the Forgotten Realms setting as created by Ed Greenwood himself.
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
I assume the OP means the Spellfire ability from the Forgotten Realms setting as created by Ed Greenwood himself.
If it's limited to powering a specific Power as it seems to be described there then it should be ER (Spellfire).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
knarf

The basic idea is that a Spellfire wielder can absorb the magic from a spell cast at him and use that to power his own spells or special, spellfire granted powers.

Not a bad setup, but it looks like you're only catching magic-sourced damage rather than the variety of magical effects that a spellfire wielder can absorb. I'm not sure how to build something like that, though. Maybe something with Leech or Neutralize.
knarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:47 AM   #7
Praxian

Thanks for the responses, and yes, I am referencing Ed Greenwoods Spellfire. :)

From what I've always understood of it, the wielder of spellfire can "absorb" magic that hit them (spells primarily, but not limited to them, and later can absorb the magic out of items and "Drain" them of their magical energies to use personally).

From the main-stream setup, obviously it'd end up being anything with the "Magical" modifier or identifier that the DR would absorb. So it'd suck up the damage to power the spellfire energies from a fireball, but if someone use a gun and shot him she'd take full damage from the bullet unless the bullet had some kind of enchantment on it from either the gun or pre-enchanting for damage / stuff.

As it pertains to getting the magic out of items, I was thinking something along those lines myself (using Leech), but I wanted to focus first on getting the "easier" one of the two in line so that I can eventually move on to that aspect.

As it pertains to -20% or -40%, I had thought it was the latter. I'll look it up later when I wake up later as I just got off work. But thanks for looking at that. :)
Praxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:26 AM   #8
Jerander

Leech works well for magic items that store energy (like Powerstones). Use Leech (Mechanical) and modify as needed.

Other types of enchanted items would need a different approach. Look into Affliction (Mana Damper) with Extended Duration. Link it to a limited Regeneration (ER Only).

Non-damaging magic would likely need straight Mana Damper with Reflexive and limited to only affect the spell/effect in question. Again, Link it to a limited Regeneration (ER Only).

Both types of Mana Damper could be based on Continuous Mana in Thaumatology, to give it more fine control. Maybe one level with Cumulative to simulate the slow drain of Power.

I'll see if I can find the time to work up some samples later today.

Does the character absorb background magic? Do they affect mana levels?
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:29 AM   #9
Bruno

I think you may be interested in the Triggered Recharge modifiers for Energy Reserve that Antoni worked up at my prompting.

These sound like they'd be useful for the "Someone casts nondamaging magic on me, I gain ER" case. Damaging magic would be DR with Absorbtion. Sucking it out of items would be trickier - I'm not sure Leech is actually valid here, but bending things around for houserules is of course possible.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
Refplace

Well if your going with the regeneration (ER) links or the triggered recharge then you just need the defense. I would go with Immunity to magic to handle the non damaging stuff. Possibly with a defense roll or something if he has to actively use it.
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
translation