Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 08-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
nik1979

Default TL9 Ships: GURPS High Tech and ISW

I want to make a TL9 ship with GURPS high tech autocannons like the Vulcan and the Browning .50 cal. What arbitrary additional weights and cost should I add to allow for it to be used in a vacum: Cooling system, compartmentalization, targeting software?

How does it affect ISW ship combat?

factors for considerations
Stats of ISW ship weapons
Acc +30
RoF 1/60

(simplified)
Vulcan in dDmg 2d, Acc5, RoF100! (+7 from RoF)
Browning in dDmg 1d+2, Acc5, RoF8 (+1 from RoF)

if I get a comparitive RoF with the beam weapons, that is
Browning (x480) +9 to hit (HT172); @480 rounds (.06tons, $1920*) HT177
Vulcan (x6000) +12 to hit (HT172); @6000 rounds (1.71tons, $34,000*) HT177
*if the workshop of the ship can make this, you will only be spending on material cost (assume 1/5).

Targeting equipment considerations
Targeting with Active Sensors (doubles Accuracy) UT150

Any word, comment, or advice of how to bridge UT laser systems with ISW? UT has stats for ship weapons and sets Xray laser and Rainbow laser up a higher TL? Any suggestions how to unify it?

See UT116
note: if ISW uses UT beam canons, effective accuracy is at 36 (compared to ISW 32) but has lower damage and penetration (maybe because of atmosphere considerations) and more expensive, heavier, and higher ROF.
MIB#2428

Last edited by nik1979; 08-28-2011 at 10:08 PM.
nik1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
jason taylor

Default Re: TL9 Ships: GURPS High Tech and ISW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik1979 View Post
I want to make a TL9 ship with GURPS high tech autocannons like the Vulcan and the Browning .50 cal. What arbitrary additional weights and cost should I add to allow for it to be used in a vacum: Cooling system, compartmentalization, targeting software?

How does it affect ISW ship combat?

Any word, comment, or advice of how to bridge UT laser systems with ISW? UT has stats for ship weapons and sets Xray laser and Rainbow laser up a higher TL? Any suggestions how to unify it?
I assume they are enlarged to scale. A Vulcan has only enough range for point defense in wet naval combat.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
Ronnke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
I assume they are enlarged to scale. A Vulcan has only enough range for point defense in wet naval combat.
In space it's range is infinite, limited only by the systems ability to lock and track a target object.
Ronnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnke View Post
In space it's range is infinite, limited only by the systems ability to lock and track a target object.
At some point it would be the equivalent of aiming at a microbe.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
At some point it would be the equivalent of aiming at a microbe.
But that would affect all weapons systems equally.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:06 PM   #6
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
But that would affect all weapons systems equally.
True. In any case neither a vulcan nor a fifty cal would be as useful against the armor of a Vilani warship as some stuff with bigger heft. A spaceship that can't take a particle the size of a fifty cal flying at the speed of a fifty cal has no business flying; they would be bumping against meteoroids like that. That sounds like what you would want for close ground support.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:12 PM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged

Doesn't Traveller ignore mundane dangers like cosmic radiation? If so, then I would class micro-meteoroids as stuff to shove under the carpet so to speak.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:15 PM   #8
nik1979

Quote:
I didn't mean enlarged to scale.

Primarily as point defense. Given how doctrine works, having a Vulcan 20x102mm on a civilian ship for Point defense against pirates, vargr or other hostiles is better than none. As a lower tier, its not enough to threaten the sensibilities of some planetary defense force.

it should be enough to stop missiles (dHP2). with AP rounds it can do against some pirates dDmg 2d(2) or 1d+2(2) vs dDR10 civilian ships. also against armored boarding non-ship crafts or armor.

this is not to create any overwhelming advantage given the ship combat system, just enough to defend against civilian threats in frontiers.

thanks for the response
MIB#2428

Last edited by nik1979; 08-28-2011 at 10:22 PM.
nik1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #9
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Doesn't Traveller ignore mundane dangers like cosmic radiation? If so, then I would class micro-meteoroids as stuff to shove under the carpet so to speak.
If I remember all ships get minimal armor and it is implied that that is for that sort of thing. In fact I believe Starships more or less says so.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:24 PM   #10
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik1979 View Post
I didn't mean enlarged to scale.

Primarily as point defense. Given how doctrine works, having a Vulcan 20x102mm on a civilian ship for Point defense against pirates, vargr or other hostiles is better than none. As a lower tier, its not enough to threaten the sensibilities of some planetary defense force.

it should be enough to stop missiles (dHP2). with AP rounds it can do against some pirates dDmg 2d(2) or 1d+2(2) vs dDR10 civilian ships. also against armored boarding non-ship crafts or armor.

this is not to create any overwhelming advantage given the ship combat system, just enough to defend against civilian threats in frontiers.

thanks for the response
OK, point defense does make sense as a use.

Tags
high tech, high-tech, interstellar wars, isw, ultra tech